RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:56 PM   #1

Full timing it soon and could use some advice

Hello! I will be buying a trailer soon and will be living full time in it for at least a year. I am in woodworking school right now and am a disabled Army vet. I will have enough to pay bills and such but want to turn pens, bowls and other smaller wood projects for extra income.

I was thinking about a toy hauler and just using the garage as a workshop but am having issues finding one with a closed off garage. I would be using a lathe and other dust causing tools but plan to modify whatever I get with a collection system.

I only have a half ton so I am limited to 10000 pounds total.

Have any of you done this or know of where I could look for advice? I was also wondering what most parks were like if I was to use a generator and a pop up small garage type awning/tent to do my work. Do they frown on that type of activity even if you clean up well? Thanks in advance

Rob

tankerzuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2016, 08:26 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think you could section off the garage by hanging a sheet. tarp, etc on the wall to keep the sawdust in the garage area.

Noise would be a limiting factor but the loudest thing would be a vacuum collection system that might be running.

A separate tent and generator could be problematic. I'd suggest calling a few RV parks in your area and asking about it.

A 1/2 ton pickup pulling a fifth wheel can be done but it better be a small fifth wheel.

I don't know how you plan to market your goods but selling your product in the RV Park will a problem in most parks. Again, call and ask a RV park.

Good luck in your endeavor. Sounds like a fun occupation.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:30 PM   #3

Howdy!

Thank you for your service brother. You might want to take a look a Work And Play TT's some of them have a devised section garage area.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:31 PM   #4

Before you get to far down the rabbit hole check out RV parks that you plan on using and find out IF they will allow you to do your 'wood working' at your site.
And conduct 'business' from your RV on their property.
Local laws/ordinances plus their Insurance Carrier COULD be problematic.

Loud noises are frowned on my staff and guests.

I do some wood work in my S&B garage with doors closed and it gets LOUD

RVs do NOT have very thick walls OR heavy sound deadening insulation.
Spaces are typically close to each other and noise travels thru out RV parks

Now IF you have secluded property.........OK

Toyhauler size and 150/1500 will be limited so don't expect enclosed garage/separate living areas. YOU will need to provide separation

GOOD LUCK!!
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:40 PM   #5

This site will give you some ideas of floorplans and prices both in trailers, 5th wheels and there's a section for toy haulers.

Travel Trailers for Sale - PPL Motor Homes

I really think that you will find most RV parks will not let you run a generator or loud woodworking tools. If you were boondocking on BLM or national forest lands away from people, you could do that.

Selling? The RVers that make things will go to area craft shows and set up a booth to sell. Usually there would be a charge for this. Some RV parks also sponsor their own craft shows a couple times a year, most likely, with no charge to enter.

If you would stay in a place such as around Mission, Texas (the Rio Grande Valley) where there are hundreds of RV parks and winter residents, some of the bigger RV parks have their own woodworking rooms. I don't know how easy it would be to mass-produce at these places and you'd probably have to transport your wood pieces daily.

You have a great idea but you'll have obstacles following through. That said.... there are many crafter-RVers out there doing their thing. Hopefully, some will see this and offer you ideas. Better yet, make another post with the subject title something like "Woodworking on the Road Help Needed" then specific people will see this more readily. There's a section on this forum for 'hobbies' or else post it under 'general RVing'. It's always best to be very specific in your post title. Best of luck to you!!!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:03 PM   #6

Agree with others about RV parks not being too keen on you working at a business on their land. All sorts of issues with that.

But...you buy yourself a little plot of land somewhere out in the country for a few thousand, manufacture away for several weeks, bring your stuff to RV shows and town Saturday Farmers Markets, and you've got yourself a nice life. Including travel. Make your stuff on your land, fill a trailer with it along with a sales tent, and you've just joined hundreds of others that are doing the same thing.

Say, this January you should travel down to Quartzsite, Arizona for the largest get together of tent businesses in the nation. Talk to people, see how they do it.

Good luck, and welcome to the full timing community!

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 02:37 PM   #7

Updated info

Hey thanks for the reply's! I think there is some confusion from my original post. The stuff I make will be sold on my ETSY store or other web sites. I turn pens almost daily and there really is not much noise.

I have a Delta Midi Lathe that is pretty dang quiet. I had also planned already on watching out for craft shows and such in whatever area I may be. I'm not sure where I will stay or if I will join any clubs to get cheaper park rates.

Really I just wanted to find out if anyone did anything like this and they may have modified what they had. They do make a Half-Ton Fifth wheel and they are still pretty good size. I am trying to determine what I want and all that stuff.

Thanks for the reply's
Rob
Old 11-11-2016, 04:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankerzuke View Post
Hello! I will be buying a trailer soon and will be living full time in it for at least a year. I am in woodworking school right now and am a disabled Army vet. I will have enough to pay bills and such but want to turn pens, bowls and other smaller wood projects for extra income.

I was thinking about a toy hauler and just using the garage as a workshop but am having issues finding one with a closed off garage. I would be using a lathe and other dust causing tools but plan to modify whatever I get with a collection system.

I only have a half ton so I am limited to 10000 pounds total.

Have any of you done this or know of where I could look for advice? I was also wondering what most parks were like if I was to use a generator and a pop up small garage type awning/tent to do my work. Do they frown on that type of activity even if you clean up well? Thanks in advance

Rob
Rob, Last January we were in Port Richey FL RV park....they had a "shop" you could use. Beside them was a "flea" market catered to the stuff you want to do...her is website...good luck my friend!
http://sundancelakes.rvresorts.com/about.html
swagn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagn View Post
Rob, Last January we were in Port Richey FL RV park....they had a "shop" you could use. Beside them was a "flea" market catered to the stuff you want to do...her is website...good luck my friend!
http://sundancelakes.rvresorts.com/about.html
Thanks! I'll check it out
Rob

Tags
advice