Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2015, 04:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
If you plan on traveling to Alaska (a bucket list item for many full time RVers) then a generator will be a must in my opinion. Without it, you would be limited to cramped campgrounds. The best places up that way are dry camping.
We have a 5th wheel and planning on Alaska this spring. I just ordered 2 2000 watt gens and the connecting cables. We don't boondock often but have limited it to a day or two. We have lost power in campgrounds which in inconvenient if it takes awhile to repair.
'17' F350 6.7 CC King Ranch DRW 4x4 4:10s B&W 20 K Companion Hitch
'04' NuWa 33.5 RLTG DA Demco GlideRide pin box
Stickdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2015, 06:55 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you haven't read it before the below link is good information when using a portable generator with an RV. I discovered it when I hooked up my portable to my RV and the Progressive EMS would not let the power through it. The EMS had an error code for an open neutral. Mike Sokol shows an easy fix in the article.

Generator Ground-Neutral Bonding | No~Shock~Zone
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:42 PM   #17

We are not full-time, but we have spent nine months in our motorhome in 6 years. I can't imagine not having a generator. We typically dry camp about five of seven nights, and more on local trips. We run the generator for about 1.5 hours twice a day. This allows the batteries to be charged, use of the coffee maker, microwave, etc during "cooking" hours.

We also use the generator to keep pets comfortable when we encounter hot weather, which happened several times in northern states in October and November.

It is hard for me to imagine not having a generator.

Matt B
Old 03-01-2015, 01:13 PM   #18

Chuck, I am very curious about how you charged your batteries from your 2000w generator. Did you charge directly off the generator or did you use a battery charger powered by the generator? Would your method work on a 4 bank pack of 6 volt house batteries?
hstansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:14 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hstansel View Post
Chuck, I am very curious about how you charged your batteries from your 2000w generator. Did you charge directly off the generator or did you use a battery charger powered by the generator? Would your method work on a 4 bank pack of 6 volt house batteries?
It should work for you, as it does for me.

I connect the shore cord to the portable generator, the batteries are charged by the converter charger. When we want to run the micro the onboard generator is started and transfer switch switches to it. When we're finished with the onboard gen transfer switch switches back to the portable. I recently finished installing 520 watts of solar on the roof. Will see how well the solar keeps the batteries charge this month when we go to Doheny SB. I only have 2 - 6V batteries currently, will be adding two more later this year. Been holding off because the two I have are four years old but still work fine.
I have a 2000 Watt inverter we use for watching TV on Satellite in the evening and morning and make coffee in the morning. Batteries are normally still at 50% charge by the time I can start the portable, usually 10:00 AM. I turn off the inverter when it's not needed.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:17 PM   #20

Thanks to all who responded. We wanted to see what other full-timers thoughts concerning the need for a generator were in view of the better solar systems that are now available. We will probably be replacing the generator with a smaller one augmented by a solar system thanks to some of the responses posted. Again thanks ,Fred
Old 03-07-2015, 02:05 PM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredV View Post
I am preparing our coach for full-timing and have found that our generac genny has a failed stator which will cost upwards of $1000 in parts to repair plus my labor to install. My DW spent whole summers on the road with her family and wonders why we need a generator since they very rarely used the generator on their motorhome. She has also brought up the idea of installing several solar panels to maintain our batteries while dry camping. Any responses would be appreciated.
Try it her way. Then repair the generator if necessary.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:04 AM   #22

It's funny how we all get used to the creature comforts. I'm a third generation RV'er. I can remember camping as a kid(mid 50's) we had a trailer that my father pulled with a dodge panel truck. He rigged bunks in the truck for my brother & I. The trailer had an ice box that used 5lb. blocks of ice, no running water, pretty much just a double bed for my parents. Did the cooking with a coleman stove, the kind that used white gas, and you had to pump up. For lighting, also a white gas coleman lantern. Bathroom? The great outdoors. But now I wouldn't hear of going through that. Now I have running water, micro, shower, bathroom, queen bed, res. refrigerator, satellite system w/ 42" HDTV, computer w/printer, recliners, washer & dryer. Yep this is really roughing it.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:11 AM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
The last few years have been very warm in lots of places and we love having the genny running with the roof air going while moving down the road. Yes the dash air will cool the very front of the coach - but using the generator means that the whole coach is cool when we pull in and set up. Just makes life easier.

That said, we lived for 4 years in the Phoenix area in the early 70s with no a/c in our car - - just rolled the windows down because the a/c never got a car cooled when just running to work/store, etc. But we were also young and could conquer mountains then - - certainly not now.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:12 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Staying at KOA Salome AZ. Thru The Summer, & Loving It..
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
I'm curious, what about wind generators? Do they produce power to run any equipment at all? Or do they do the same job as solar panels and recharge batt banks?
Old 03-11-2015, 09:06 PM   #25

Wind generators? Could you stand the constant 'thumping' as it rotates? We've seen a couple used in Quartzsite, AZ but they're not popular. Plus, they'd be heavy. Solar is the way to go - constantly working quietly.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:47 AM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Staying at KOA Salome AZ. Thru The Summer, & Loving It..
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
Thumping??? I didn't know they made noise. I have never seen one, only in pictures. I have read a couple of articles on Boondocking sites. They seem well liked by those who use them. The big concern seemed to be where to stow them. What I read they break down to become very compact.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:38 PM   #27

The wind turbine in itself doesn't make noise when rotating. However, it's attached to your RV so when it rotates it's going to move your RV somewhat. Have you ever had a tall flagpole attached to your RV. When the flag is whipping around the pole moves and whatever the pole is attached to vibrates, also. Same goes for awnings and slide toppers in the wind. There is noise and sometimes movement within the RV during winds.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:56 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
The sailing boys have gone to some length to get rid of the noise via rubber isolation mounts and similar tricks. I've never heard it but apparently a "bad turbine" is heard and felt by surrounding boats (thru the water). Obviously, not an issue with RV's, mostly just confirming that they can be 'annoying'.

Tags
generator