Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2018, 12:31 PM   #1

New Horizons Owners Club
Full-timing worst decision ever.

Let me start by stating 5 years ago we sold everything, S/B, property, you name it, it was sold. We then hit the road and we've seen so much of this wonderful country. Everyone that asked us how we liked the full-timing experience, we told them the best decision we ever made. Now 5 years later there are so many people full-timing it's sometimes hard to find reservations. So now if someone ask how we like it, we just look at then with a straight face and say it terrible, don't do it, the worst decision ever. Then we turn around..hee hee.
JPFretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2018, 12:36 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Did you part time at first? We're gonna part time it first, going from 3600 to 400 square feet and losing the garage is gonna be tough. You guys that jump right in are far braver than us.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:38 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
While the number of people full timing has increased, there is almost always sites available. Granted holiday weekends and popular destinations will fill up quickly. I've never had to spend a night in a Wal Mart because I couldn't find a site anywhere.

I am not full time.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:03 PM   #4

New Horizons Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Did you part time at first? We're gonna part time it first, going from 3600 to 400 square feet and losing the garage is gonna be tough. You guys that jump right in are far braver than us.
No we jumped right in. In fact we never even owned an RV before this.
JPFretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:48 PM   #5

We never owned any kind of RV before we started full timing either. Just jumped in and swam like a fool!!! LOL

We've never had a problem getting a camp site, except down in Florida for the winter we didn't get our first choice RV resort, but did get our 2nd choice. And we've booked for next winter already. But when we're on the road traveling we've never run into full campgrounds. WE usually know where we're going so we'll call ahead.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:15 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The worst part is finding decent parks. Then availability then price. We spend hours looking.
We did NOT jump into this, had many RV' s before. Staying in one spot (S& B) is really boring. At home we do not know the neighbors, and their barking dogs. If I don't like the neighbors I can move.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:22 PM   #7

I'm with you, RVing is a horrible experience. Spread the word!
Old 05-19-2018, 04:46 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
It's working!! You guys are scaring me off!! NNOOTT!!!
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:12 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
The worst part is finding decent parks. Then availability then price. We spend hours looking.
We did NOT jump into this, had many RV' s before. Staying in one spot (S& B) is really boring. At home we do not know the neighbors, and their barking dogs. If I don't like the neighbors I can move.
Try coming out west and stay away from large metro areas. Then there isn't a problem with finding parks. Now price, that is something else, but most people figure that one out. Also don't forget COE (Corps of Engineers) parks all over the midwest. Really great and with the Senior Pass, very economical for stays.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:27 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Did you part time at first? ..........You guys that jump right in are far braver than us.

Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess.
--Dr Edwin Land
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:05 AM   #11

sorry, ya can't scare us off

we are going to jump straight into full time in a few short years.
we are rv'ers to the max and we will be giving you another set of people for competition for those cg reservations!! LOL

but we will do like you, say full time is bad, very bad, and don't do it...heehee, to those who ask
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:58 AM   #12

The Southwest has lots of places to stay. There have been tons of open sites for our first 6 years of fulltiming!
Examples in AZ: Mesa, Tucson, Yuma, Benson, Verde Valley
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFretired View Post
Let me start by stating 5 years ago we sold everything, S/B, property, you name it, it was sold. We then hit the road and we've seen so much of this wonderful country. Everyone that asked us how we liked the full-timing experience, we told them the best decision we ever made. Now 5 years later there are so many people full-timing it's sometimes hard to find reservations. So now if someone ask how we like it, we just look at then with a straight face and say it terrible, don't do it, the worst decision ever. Then we turn around..hee hee.

Pretty much the same answer to the "fishin' any good around here?" question
Old 05-21-2018, 12:31 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I made the switch to foll time more like 10 years ago. Wife died 5 years ago (Acceptiong applications for replacement traveling companion.. Ok so that' partially a joke) Page 2

I have noticed that parks are getting fuller and fuller but I'm no where near ready to park it.

What I have found.. My big 38 foot Class A does indeed eat a bunch of gasoline, about half of what I save on property tax in fact

Summers it is not uncommon for me to pay less for parking than I did for electricity on the S&B (This month WILL be an exception but ... I'll make up for it next month)

and I get to move about..

Plus the neighborhood I lived in in Detroit was nice when I moved in.. Not nearly as nice when I move dout.. i mean WAY Not as nice.

In the Motor home I get into an area I don't like.. Well. Keep on truckin.

Tags
full-timing