Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2018, 04:35 PM   #1

Unhappy Fulltime again?...your input please

Hello all,
10 years ago my wife and self fulltimed for 2 years...had to quit and take back a business that we were holding paper on....ugh back to work...so after all this time we have finally gotten around to possibly going back to it..

meantime we have traveled a couple months at a time on the east coast and up into Wisconsin/minn. for summers...we have found that summer camping has gotten extremely busy and not at all what we remembered it.

So, is it just me or is the world really that full of screaming kids and weekend campers? or is it that we've been in the wrong place ?...I remember the west
being much more private and peaceful...and if we go back out fulltime its the west we'd go to...but not if its gonna be this congested.

Whats your opinion? is camping the same to you as it has always been ?

thanks so much
sumjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2018, 04:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumjoe View Post
So, is it just me or is the world really that full of screaming kids and weekend campers? or is it that we've been in the wrong place ?...I remember the west
being much more private and peaceful...and if we go back out fulltime its the west we'd go to...but not if its gonna be this congested.
Wrong place and wrong time. When school is out kids are in RV parks.

Research the parks before you book. Also, there are 55+ communities that have RV sites and no kids.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:55 PM   #3

When possible look for 55+ parks even if you aren't 55. They'll probably make an exception.

State and COE parks will probably be the worst, especially on weekends. I don't know the solution as I sit here on Barkingdog Lane.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:05 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
There are RV parks out there that have "adult only" areas. Families with kids have their own section of the park.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:24 PM   #5

ATVs and similar have invaded the West. I really noticed it in Quartzsite this year and for that reason I will not return to Q. Dusty, Noisy, and Rude drivers who have little regard for public land and people parked nearby. I have been RVing for 18 years and yes, I have noticed a change.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:27 PM   #6

We didn't feel that way during the summers but then, we didn't stay in RV parks in touristy areas and basically didn't stay in RV parks. Our favorites were forest service campgrounds or boondocking on forest land or BLM lands - in the West. For the 3-day holidays we stayed away from places with water activities - pools, lakes, streams. That's where the noise is. It is possible to have a peaceful summer.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:10 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We travel about half time. Usually a month to two months out. Mostly southwest and up the west coast. The RV business is booming - selling lots of units. So yes things are now more crowded than in the past. But overall we don't run into kids and such. Pay attention to long weekends and school holidays. Stay out of the places that attract families with kids. There are lots if goid options.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:11 AM   #8

<<<So, is it just me or is the world really that full of screaming kids and weekend campers? or is it that we've been in the wrong place ?>>>

I think much of what you have experienced depends somewhat on where you are. We spend our summers in New England or the Northeast where, in some areas, there is a relatively short 70 to 90 day window for summer vacations somewhere between Memorial Day or the last day of school and Labor Day. A few campgrounds are not even open outside that window. Families in the warmer climates have many more opportunities for weekend camping trips from early spring to late fall or even all year.
We've learned to "write off" the three summer holiday weekends and occasional busy mid-summer weeks; kick back, pour a cold one or two, and watch the families enjoy all the fun of camping like we did not too many years ago with our boys. After all, we get to live the good life the majority of the weeks and weekends and all winter in Florida. And the best part, we don't have to go back to work on Monday!
IMO, unattended dogs barking all day or all night are a bigger P.I.T.A. than a bunch of kids enjoying themselves on their bikes or playing baseball, soccer or whatever. (Much better than playing video games all day.)
8824rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:36 AM   #9

I read a while ago that there are about 18 registered RV's for each available camping spot. At the current rate of new sales being over 400k units per year, it's not going to improve much in the future.

Totally agree regarding previous comments on constantly barking dogs. A few barks every now and then is fine, but to go on and on everytime someobe closes a car door or walks by is very annoying. I blame the dog's owners, not the dog!.
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:38 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Others have covered all that I would have said, but wanted to say hello! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:38 PM   #11

I've been in Florida all winter. Many families are now living FT. I saw one 5th wheel with at least 8 people living in it FT Every CG I've been to has many many kids. Barking dogs too. I guess I am lucky my hearing is poor and can only hear them when I am outside. I haven't had a problem yet but talked to a number of others that complain about the kids and noise and more.

So, to the OP, YES things have probably changed. As others have discussed there are alternatives. Will take some effort to seek out the solitude you sound like you are seeking. Luckily your home has wheels
Old 02-20-2018, 10:00 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Concur with all above...it has gotten much more crowded. Population growth and cheap(ish) fuel causes the flood. When gas was well over $4 a gallon, it was much quieter in the wilderness

But, the crowds are not the real problem to us - it is the few rude folks that do not control their kids, dogs, and noise level. Unfortunately in the West it is the owners of Toy Haulers that seem to bring the most unwelcome behaviors.
Having a Toy hauler ourselves, it is most discouraging.

Because of this, we have stopped going out on school holidays. And REALLY wish all schools would go to a year-around schedule If we were full-timing - during school breaks, we would just plan for family visits or plan to journey far into the public lands where it is not as convenient for the suburbanites to take their mob.

Quartzite is obviously NOT a good destination for solitude...but just go south a bit to the Anza-Borrego for what you seek.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumjoe View Post
Whats your opinion? is camping the same to you as it has always been ?
No. It's much much more crowded.

We've been fulltiming for almost 15 years, and it's nothing like it was when we started. I'd say the best days were during the recession--I guess a lot of people couldn't afford to go on vacation, and there weren't as many people as there are today living in RVs because that's all they can afford, rather than as a traveling lifestyle.

Those people take up RV spaces for longer periods of time, reducing the number that churn regularly. Of course, you've probably already encountered that on the east coast, where there are a lot of campgrounds that cater to people who rent a space for the entire season, and even though you find them in a search for RV parks, they have very few (if any) short-term sites available.

And with land prices rising, especially in hot markets, there are more RV parks going away than being built. Public campgrounds used to be a good option, especially financially, but they're getting pretty darn expensive, plus you have to deal with vacationers with their kids and dogs and parties. Sure, you can try to avoid them on weekends (and we definitely do), but it does add another element of complexity to travel planning.

It can be done, and it will generally be easier out west than on the east coast, but it's not like it used to be.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:08 PM   #14

OP ..you mention Minnesota so I'll put in a plug for the DNR campground host program. Sites are generally spacious and private. Yes parks are busy in the summer months but still plenty of peace and quiet. Duties are light and cost is free.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fulltime