Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2014, 08:23 PM   #1

Fulltime in an Airstream?

Anyone have experience fulltiming in an Airstream or thoughts on that idea? One concern of mine is the attention these trailers might garner due to their "cool" factor. Are they not such a good idea if one would like to maintain a low profile and blend in?
myrvdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2014, 10:30 PM   #2

I think you can fulltime in any RV you are happy in. The airstream appears to be a very popular one and a close nit family of owners. We have been fulltiming for about 6 months now but in a MH. We love the freedom and the majority of campers will not bother you. Enjoy your time and have fun.

Best of luck and Happy RV'ing
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:41 AM   #3

I agree wholeheartedly we've owned an Airstream and don't try to think of it as Blending in.
The guy with the 689,000.00$ Newmar doesn't either and he is fine with that and so are his neighbours!
Behave like great full timers and get to know the people you live with so You know if you need to adjust to fit in or find another crowd, your Trailer will be fine as long as it is well maintained and safe for your sake and theirs.

Regards,
Ed
RVingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:20 AM   #4

When you say "blend in" a what does that mean to you. Are you basically a loaner and don't want to be bothered socializing, left alone so to speak? You can do that in just about any RV whether it's a TT or class A motorcoach. It all depends on you as a person.
Now if your worried about "fittin in" well that is a different story. If your friendly and sociable then again it doesn't matter if it's a TT or MH. It's still up to you and not what you pull into the park with.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:28 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
My only concern with the Airstream would be it's size (everything we own has to fit into our RV). One of the cool things about the RV lifestyle is the diversity, at all levels. The diversity of life experiences, cultures and equipment. All of it makes for excellent around the campfire conversation.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrvdream View Post
Anyone have experience fulltiming in an Airstream or thoughts on that idea? One concern of mine is the attention these trailers might garner due to their "cool" factor. Are they not such a good idea if one would like to maintain a low profile and blend in?
I think you are overestimating the "cool factor." In my area I have seen a fair amount of airstreams and vintage trailers people have fixed up to go "glamping", so they are pretty common. But then I live near hipster central so that could explain the influx.

Edited to add: I also have an Aristocrat sitting in my yard waiting to be fixed up so I am just as guilty!
Orangepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #7

Airstreams are well made and they do have a "cool" factor. My problem with full timing in one would be lack of storage space. But, may be that I just have to much stuff.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwright View Post
Airstreams are well made and they do have a "cool" factor. My problem with full timing in one would be lack of storage space. But, may be that I just have to much stuff.
So tow it with a Van or MDT to use as a "basement". ;-) Only you can decide what you really need to have along.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:43 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We know a lot of couples and families who fulltime in airstreams. It's a very popular choice with the younger crowd. Yes, it has a cool factor (which is part of the draw), but I don't think you'd get too much attention. There are enough of them around these days that you won't have that problem...and this I can confirm from my friends who travel in them. You're much more likely to get attention in a classic old rig or converted bus.

The airstreams are well made and have great decor. The main negative is not much storage space.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:01 PM   #10

Thanks everybody! The lack of storage space seems to be the main drawback. I like the ones that are painted white, they seem to stand out less. I guess my concerns about blending in stem from a little nervousness about being a female who will he traveling alone.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:11 PM   #11

*be
Old 06-01-2014, 12:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
My only concern with the Airstream would be it's size (everything we own has to fit into our RV). One of the cool things about the RV lifestyle is the diversity, at all levels. The diversity of life experiences, cultures and equipment. All of it makes for excellent around the campfire conversation.

I agree! The suburban isolation I have lived with for years had got me down big time, doesn't help that my soon to be ex is a hermit! I am not and I can't wait to live a life with a sense if community and connectedness to others.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks everybody! The lack of storage space seems to be the main drawback. I like the ones that are painted white, they seem to stand out less. I guess my concerns about blending in stem from a little nervousness about being a female who will he traveling alone.
I completely understand this concern! Call me a dork but if I am in the RV alone and have to leave I say "hey, I'll be back in just a few minutes" into the RV as I close the door. Not yelling it, but loud enough as if I was really talking to someone. When I return I open the door and announce that I am back.

Call it stupid, but I figure if any creeper is around maybe they will think I have someone with me and they stayed behind.
Orangepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:40 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
You really wreck an Airstream if you paint it, don't do it if you ever want to sell it.

Storage is ok, just plan & use the space in your tow vehicle wisely.

Go the container store with the rig they will come out to see it and give you ideas.

The only time I get people looking asking in in fuel stops.

The club has several thousand members and rallies are always going on.

we had one for the last 7 years it was great.

But we switched to a MH.........still like Airstreaming over 45,000 miles they are built, esp the vintage years
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airstream, fulltime