Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2006, 05:33 AM   #1

This is the question the Forest Service is asking. And they decided for me that I was a homeless person illegally camping on National Forest land even though I had not been there 14 days.

I now have my Golden Access card and I will carry paperwork showing that I have a "home base" and evrything will be in order.

Be aware, the government is afraid of the baby boomers all buying RVs and living in them fulltime when they retire. Where are they going to put all these CAMPERS/HOMELESS?

With insurance benefits and retirement plans not adaquate to cover expenses many people will opt for the fulltime Rv Lifestyle.

People brag now that they have "sold their home" and are now on the road fulltime. If you try and spend some of your time on public lands you may be adjudicated as RESIDING instead of recreating and receive a citation.

David
zetron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2006, 05:33 AM   #2

This is the question the Forest Service is asking. And they decided for me that I was a homeless person illegally camping on National Forest land even though I had not been there 14 days.

I now have my Golden Access card and I will carry paperwork showing that I have a "home base" and evrything will be in order.

Be aware, the government is afraid of the baby boomers all buying RVs and living in them fulltime when they retire. Where are they going to put all these CAMPERS/HOMELESS?

With insurance benefits and retirement plans not adaquate to cover expenses many people will opt for the fulltime Rv Lifestyle.

People brag now that they have "sold their home" and are now on the road fulltime. If you try and spend some of your time on public lands you may be adjudicated as RESIDING instead of recreating and receive a citation.

David
zetron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 03:25 PM   #3

I'm sorry to hear you that had a problem David. Where did you run into this overzealous public servant?
I have no doubt that government workers on all levels surf the internet and are becoming aware of the opportunities available to people with RV's. It is just a matter of time before someone goes into a jealous hissy fit and finds a sympathetic judge or legislator. Look at the overnight parking bans that are now in place in many municipalities.
If the eco-nazi's had their way, we'd either be on foot or on horseback as we explore our public lands and our RV's would be in an RV park somewhere -- on blocks!
Old 09-29-2006, 03:33 PM   #4

On a sidenote, perhaps it is time for a national association of RV'ers, both full and part timers, who don't want to see any new legislation that threatens our existance.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:26 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Who died and made "Our land" off-limits? Did I just wake up in "Mother Russia" or something? What the **** is going on? I think we need some answers!!
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:21 AM   #6

I love it! This country is going to the good doers! No Smoking even in your own yard, No French Fries! Now I watched an article on TV about Baby Boomers costing the Insurance companies more $$ because they are more active now! They get hurt playing baseball, Basketball and outdoor sports! I myself ride my road bike 150 to 200 miles a week and now I'm in Austin for the Lance Armstrong Foundation riding the 100 mile ride October 08. I guess us old folks just need to crawl up our own Butts and disappear! I say lets tax the young ones more and keep them out of our hair or what's left of it so they have to keep working 3 jobs to pay the bills. Then they won't have time to look around at others!
We also sold everything and went on the road 2 years ago at 55 my wife 45 she just stopped working!
Hang in there and smile!
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 05:09 PM   #7

well ed u will wish u married olderwoman when u need ss but some is just born with sivler spoon wow mom said i was special
arft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 01:20 PM   #8

No, No silver spoon here my friend. I worked my butt off for every dime I made. I watched my Dad work his butt into the grave and swore I'd never do that in my life!
No need for SS did my homework very early in life and achieved my goal of 55. My kids are in their late 20's and have been investing for a while now!
It's called controlled spending. Take the credit cards and cut them up keep one and pay it off every month!
Too many people live over their heads, what's comfortable to you?
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:45 PM   #9

One option that we have considered (not sure how seriously) is to be homeless homeowners. Sounds odd I know, but it may work for you. Where I come from (Saskatchewan Canada) there are some small villages that are basically dying (made victims as farming becomes agri-business). Houses there are almost being given away (ex:$3000 - for example http://www.mls.ca/PropertyResults.aspx?Mode=0&Page=1&vs...URL=%3fAre aID%3d1055 Taxes are also very low (600/year and less). I assume that this is true in the US as well (there might be small dying rural villages or old farmsites where no one much wants to live) One could buy such a beast and hire a neighbour to keep it up (say another $600; maybe less - basically just keep the grass down). In theory (well fact really) you could have a residence that you never live in but could never be called homeless. Maybe this might work - did I mention the idea was a little odd? There are some implications (insurance and liability come to mind?) but OTOH I suppose you could also just buy one, pay nothing and wait for the village to decide to forclose for non-tax payment ... would probably take a few years (hmmm as I read this idea before posting its starting to sound more than just a little odd but what the heck - the idea is free if you want it
MandTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:20 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
We're planning to buy an RV lot in a recreational community in WA. Can only live there for 200 days per year. But as FTs, we wouldn't anyway. So we'll own the lot, pay small taxes, and have a residential address. Thus we will still be considered WA residents.

I don't get the "eco-nazi" stuff. Don't we want any "wilderness" left at all? Some place for non-humans to live? If only for our own self-interests? We're at the top of the food chain. Abuse those below us too much, and we're toast.

Too much talk radio. Learn to share. There's enough for everyone. If you want to get angry at someone, look at those taking too much of the pie. The disparitiy between the rich and the rest of us has been growing for MANY years now.
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 05:43 AM   #11

I've never had that to happen in 7 years of fulltiming. Maybe the person is looking for a promotion. Sometimes you meet up with these that don't have common horse sense.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote