Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Ditto Mr_D....

Only the interest on the loan if you have one. I don't see this being any different than a stick house though.

It does really raise an interesting question I hadn't considered before though... and that pertains to capital gain/loss when you sell it. We all know how it works with stick houses and I wonder if a coach would be allowed the same rules. Specifically, I wonder if the capital loss that will certainly be there for many of us when we sell our rigs... could be used to offset other capital gains.

Rick
If it is like a loss on a stick house, $2000.00 per year is all you are currently allowed. Hope that changes soon as we took a real ^$$ whippin on one we had in FL. Doubt I will live long enough to recover that.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babysteps View Post
A capital loss on the sale of your coach is a non deductible personal loss
and cannot be deducted or otherwise offset against capital gains.
Thanks. I assume if one sells their stick house at a loss it can't be used to offset past or future capital gains either... even on real estate?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks. I assume if one sells their stick house at a loss it can't be used to offset past or future capital gains either... even on real estate?

Rick
Only if it is a business. We own a property, currently for sale, which is "rented" to my wife's photography business.
My accountant tells me any loss on the sale will be deductible against income in that year.

Our home is also for sale and may sell at a loss. He tells me since there is no business involved, any loss will not be directly deductible.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #18

There is one and as far as I can find, one way to deduct a loss on the sale of a personal residence - after a devorce, if you must pay for the house and you are not allowed to live in it (but the ex can) then it is an investment and therefore subject to capital gains/loss.
Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #19

Quote:

Rick

That is correct....if you sell your personal residence at a loss, none of that loss is deductible or can be offset against past or future capital gains of any
kind.
The good news is, if you sell your home at a gain......you can exclude up to
$500,000 of gain from tax ( on a joint return ).
Babysteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Noble View Post
There is one and as far as I can find, one way to deduct a loss on the sale of a personal residence - after a devorce, if you must pay for the house and you are not allowed to live in it (but the ex can) then it is an investment and therefore subject to capital gains/loss.
Making payments on an ex wife's house doesn't sound like any kind of
investment I would want. I think such a payment would be considered
alimony and, as such would be deductible to the husband and taxable
income to the wife.
Babysteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babysteps View Post
That is correct....if you sell your personal residence at a loss, none of that loss is deductible or can be offset against past or future capital gains of any
kind.
The good news is, if you sell your home at a gain......you can exclude up to
$500,000 of gain from tax ( on a joint return ).
Thanks. I guess it would really be a stretch under any circumstances.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #22
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpendley View Post
I bought the RV outright in 2011. Is the purchase for that tax deductible?
Sales tax may be deductible, but not the cost of the RV itself unless you use it to generate income (rental, travel for work, etc.), and even then it would probably be subject to depreciation over a period of years.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
Sales tax may be deductible, but not the cost of the RV itself unless you use it to generate income (rental, travel for work, etc.), and even then it would probably be subject to depreciation over a period of years.
If you are a resident of a state that does not have a state income tax, you may deduct sales tax on your federal return.

We save all our receipts that has sales tax on them. At tax time they are added up and we take the larger amount (tax tables vs. added receipts) as a deduction
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote