Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:49 PM   #1

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Fulltiming before age 65 - How-To Health Insurance

Dilemma,

My wife will retire in 2 years. By then, she'll have Medicare. I'm 59 years old. Another 6 years before Medicare.

But, I want to go RVing with my wife before our health gets any worse. What a dilemma?

So the question is, if all that is keeping us from enjoying our remaining years is health insurance, how do we do it? How do we just sell everything and go fulltiming without worrying about covering our health issues? I mean, how much will it cost for me to get insurance to cover myself from age 61 to 65, once my wife gets to have Medicare? I wonder what others have done?

I have been thinking about this issue for a while now, but as our health gets worse, it has become a more pressing issue. The following video has also helped me think about what is really important in life.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2015, 06:56 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Health Insurance is available to anyone now, courtesy of the Affordable Care Act (aka ObamaCare). But if you want to go full-timing, you need to find a policy that has nationwide coverage. What is your domicile state now, and were do you plan to have it when you go full-time? The three most popular domicile states for full-timers are South Dakota, Texas, and Florida. Good nationwide coverage for SD residents is hard to find. Coverage for Texas residents is readily available from Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Coverage is also available in Florida, but costs more than Texas.

There are lots of threads on this subject in this forum. Just scroll back through the list and start reading.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:02 PM   #3

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
... and were do you plan to have it when you go full-time? ...
Our residence is in TX. What would be the approximate cost for the cheapest insurance?
Old 01-21-2015, 07:04 PM   #4

Not full timing, but I am in that age group where I'm retired/not yet on Medicaid. Obamacare would be my answer as well. If you haven't checked into it, you might do that....
Old 01-21-2015, 07:04 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucotx View Post
Our residence is in TX. What would be the approximate cost for the cheapest insurance?
Just go to https://www.healthcare.gov to look it up for yourself. Texas uses the Federal marketplace. Use your current zip code, then try 77399 for Escapees in case you use them for your domicile address.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:49 PM   #6

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Just go to https://www.healthcare.gov to look it up for yourself. Texas uses the Federal marketplace. Use your current zip code, then try 77399 for Escapees in case you use them for your domicile address.
Thanks for the link. I went there and this is what I found out.

Bronze plan from Blue Cross/Blue Shield $129/month with $6000 deductible and $6000 out of pocket maximum. This was the cheapest bronze plan, with others going for $200 and up to about $250.

Silver plan from Blue Cross/Blue Shield $299/month with $3000 deductible and $6350 out of pocket. There were other companies offering cheaper Silver plans, down to about $277 a month with $2000 deductible.

Gold plan about $400 a month.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:14 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Statistically, all those plans should end up costing you the same amount. You save money with the Bronze plans, but you pay out of pocket a lot until you hit the deductible. With Silver and Gold your premiums are higher, but out of pocket is less. We use an HSA compatible Bronze plan with $6000 deductible.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucotx View Post

Silver plan from Blue Cross/Blue Shield $299/month with $3000 deductible and $6350 out of pocket. There were other companies offering cheaper Silver plans, down to about $277 a month with $2000 deductible.

Gold plan about $400 a month.
Did you enter your age? That sounds a little low. Make sure you are not picking a HMO plan.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Health Insurance is available to anyone now, courtesy of the Affordable Care Act (aka ObamaCare). But if you want to go full-timing, you need to find a policy that has nationwide coverage. What is your domicile state now, and were do you plan to have it when you go full-time? The three most popular domicile states for full-timers are South Dakota, Texas, and Florida. Good nationwide coverage for SD residents is hard to find. Coverage for Texas residents is readily available from Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Coverage is also available in Florida, but costs more than Texas.

There are lots of threads on this subject in this forum. Just scroll back through the list and start reading.

Just because it is available doesn't mean it's affordable. In Michigan unless you get subsidized it's outrageous. For a bronze plan for DW and I it is over $1000.00 / month with a $12000 deductible. For a silver plan it is over $1600 / month with a $2800 deductible.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:03 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyodie View Post
Just because it is available doesn't mean it's affordable. In Michigan unless you get subsidized it's outrageous. For a bronze plan for DW and I it is over $1000.00 / month with a $12000 deductible. For a silver plan it is over $1600 / month with a $2800 deductible.
That's about what DW and I pay. It's less than the high risk pool were were on before ACA. If your only experience with health insurance before ACA was with employer paid plans, it can seem high. But that doesn't make it outrageous.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:28 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I am based in Texas and went on the exchange - got Blue Cross of Texas - its fantastic - I got diag. with bladder and kidney cancer about 6 months into the plan and they have taken care of me in NY where had first surgery to Austin where I have been having rest of treatments and have part of Kidney removed. Its so much better than Cigna that I had when working for a Govt. contract co. and its just a little over $200 a month.
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:16 PM   #12

Quote:
That's about what DW and I pay. It's less than the high risk pool were were on before ACA. If your only experience with health insurance before ACA was with employer paid plans, it can seem high. But that doesn't make it outrageous.

It is compared to what we were paying before ACA. We had been paying $608 / month before they canceled the plan, and yes it was good insurance. The only thing that we have now that we didn't have is maternity insurance. Who hoo!
Old 01-22-2015, 02:34 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyodie View Post
It is compared to what we were paying before ACA. We had been paying $608 / month before they canceled the plan, and yes it was good insurance. The only thing that we have now that we didn't have is maternity insurance. Who hoo!
Was that individual or group policy? And are you sure that's the only difference? The ACA plans are required to have certain preventative exams and procedures included (at no charge) that many pre-ACA plans did not.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:02 PM   #14

It's an individual policy that we have. The old one already covered the normal maintenance items, ie colonoscopy, mammograms etc.

Tags
insurance