Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #43

Love to read all the posts.

We have been fulltiming just over 60 days.

Totally agree with less than 300 miles a day.

We had days at beginning with 400 miles. Wore out and exhausted.

We are now in Marshfield, MA. A week stay at a military recreation center. We have had the rv area to ourselves for 4 days then it will be full this weekend.

Will travel next to Newburgh, NY.

Things we are doing for travel days. We freeze leftovers. Helps with the budget and really nice for the end of a travel day to have a nice meal already prepared. We have stopped along the way on travel days for a quick lunch in a rest area. Picnic style outside of the rig which is refreshing.

We stayed 2 weeks in Cape Cod. So much to see. Visited JFK memorial in Hyannis, walked beaches hunted for sea glass. A full day in Plymouth.

Checked on oil change prices for our class c, gas engine while at the Cape. Quoted $400, WOW. Drove 50 miles and it was $100.

We also stayed in Bar Harbor. Visited all we could see. Favorite Cadillac Mountain sunrise.

A great book that we use often..."1000 places to visit before you die". This book has taken us to some remarkable places.

Lovin Life!
BIJ6165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #44
OWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Speaking of expenses. Are you staying Texas residents? For me, South Dakota residency gives me the cheapest fixed expenses for taxes, insurance, vehicle and driver's licensing. And no vehicle inspection or jury duty.
Your response fits right into a question we posted earlier today. We have heard a lot about SD. What an you tell us about this alternative and where the best place to go is for information? Do we need to go there in person todo anything related to registering or establishing residency?

Thank you.

Regards
OWV Our Wandering View
Entrega Aspire 44B on order
OWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #45
OWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCS View Post
30 days and we hit the road. This has been real hard down sizing, shipping stuff to family all over the country. Loads of memories and souvenirs from all over the world, it is hard!! Motor home is ready, Toad is ready, bike rack is ready. Thirty days and we say good by to our next adventure. We had our outings for a few months at a time but this is for the rest of our lives. Kinda exciting
Ret. USAF/ANG CMS
Downsizing and what to do with all the memories and memorabilia that makes our houses a home? Our Daughter-in-Law had a wonderful suggestion. Although many of you may already have thought of it. She suggested a 2 approach. First, take pictures of all your rooms as is reminder of why your house was your home, your castle. Second, take pictures of individual items, one at a time. We bought a photo tent and set our cameral on a tripod for this. As our DiL said, except to dust the items they are rarely if ever touched; they are there to see and remember. All the pictures are saved on a scan card which is in a digital frame. As we sit in the kitchen the frame provides a revolving slide show of our possessions and memories. It is also a good way to record what we have for insurance purposes and it gives the kids an opportunity to tell us what they would like to have when we are finished with it. On this note, the kids have already taken a lot and we have enjoyed seeing our things when we visit and take great comfort in knowing that they are enjoying the things they asked for. Downsizing is never easy, but at least when it comes to things we really like, the pictures in the digital frame has significantly eased the pain.

Regards,
OWV Our Wandering View
OWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #46

BIJ6165 Writes: Checked on oil change prices for our class c, gas engine while at the Cape. Quoted $400, WOW. Drove 50 miles and it was $100.

Many oil change places will let you provide your own oil and filter, charging labor for changes. I buy at Wal-Mart and am charged $16 labor. Just ask, if not, drive on. I can not imagine why some would ask $400....unless they figured you were out of town and would never see you again...
George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
We started full timing in Dec 2013....Enjoy your family during that first six months, but make it clear that you'll be visiting in the future, based upon invitation an your full timing schedule and path....
I'm gonna bookmark this one.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonekeepers View Post
We are also just beginning the full time adventure. This is my last week of work and we mostly have the house ready to rent. DH retired last year and I have been working from the road most of this year anyhow.

Our big issue is family. We love our four daughters and their families and we love our aging parents, but it seems that as soon as we "retired", everyone suddenly has major type crises and need us there. The family is scattered from Wisconsin to Mississippi so, it's not easy or cheap to travel from one to the other.

How do you detach and still fulfill your parental and paternal duties? I am afraid that if we don't travel now while we are still healthy enough that we won't be able to later.
We also encountered that family issue, but with skype and facebook and cell phones we have alleviated most of those issues. One thing you have to keep in mind, its not selfish to take care of your dreams and desires, you can love your daughters families and both sets of parents from a few miles or states away, but one thing you can never recover is your time while you are healthy enough to enjoy it. Drive on and enjoy and return for visits, your family will understand.

Cheers !!!
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #49

The $400 quote for an oil change was in Cape Code. We got oil change for $100 50 miles from there.

Now in Quakertown, PA. Leaving here next week for virginia beach then to NC and FL for winter.

Will travel on the Chesepeake bridge...any advice? Will turn off propane for sure.

Lovin Life.
BIJ6165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIJ6165 View Post
The $400 quote for an oil change was in Cape Code. We got oil change for $100 50 miles from there. Now in Quakertown, PA. Leaving here next week for virginia beach then to NC and FL for winter. Will travel on the Chesepeake bridge...any advice? Will turn off propane for sure. Lovin Life.
If you need an over night stop, there is a big parking lot on the north end of the bridge/tunnel. It's on the east side of the road just before the toll plaza. Last time we over nighted there it was almost empty. 2-3 RVs and a couple of trucks. The bridge portion is all 4 lane but the tunnels narrow to 2 lane. Great ride and blow your horn at any fishermen fishing the pilings.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:19 AM   #51
SCS

Tiffin Owners Club
Today we celebrate one week of full timing, we left our home where it seems many are heading, Arizona. We wonder why? but know its their Bali..I think the best experience is just saying hi and meeting people. I could have a garage sale at each stop and sell off all the extra packed gear, I could afford a 40 footer!
Old 09-22-2013, 05:52 AM   #52

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OWV View Post
Your response fits right into a question we posted earlier today. We have heard a lot about SD. What an you tell us about this alternative and where the best place to go is for information? Do we need to go there in person todo anything related to registering or establishing residency?

Thank you.

Regards
OWV Our Wandering View
SD Residency FAQ

We used the above service. Ask for Terri if you call. She is very knowledgeable and will walk you through the process.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:01 AM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing Nut View Post
SD Residency FAQ

We used the above service. Ask for Terri if you call. She is very knowledgeable and will walk you through the process.
I've heard good things about My Dakota Address. We opted for Alternative Resources in Sioux Falls, SD because of recommendations and its location closer to where we where. I posted this in another thread about the process.

Alternative Resources | RV Mail Forwarding | Sioux Falls | South Dakota

I think America's Mailbox is on the other side of the state in Rapids City.

1. We established an address with a personal mail box (PMB) with AR a couple weeks before we made the trip.

2. We arrived in Sioux Falls on a Thursday and using our AR address we registered at the Tower CG and got a receipt for our stay. AR and Tower CG have a good working relationship so Tower knows what you need.

3. Friday morning we got to the DMV, turned in our IL DL and got our SD DL. No tests, no special license. They do require some very specific verification of name and US residency.

4. We then had an appointment at AR at 11:00 to go through all the paperwork needed to register our DSDP and Honda CRV in SD.

For about $85 AR did all the work to get our titles with liens from the lenders and take the paperwork to the DMV. The registration fee for the RV is based on UNLOADED vehicle weight. It was a tad over $500 for my DSDP plus some other fees. Since we ordered special plates (RV HOME & RV TOAD) we also paid $30 a for each vehicle for that privilege. We got our temp tags last Monday and should have our metal plates within 2 weeks. If we hadn't gone specialized plates, we would have those now.

While we were at AR we also registered to vote in SD. Because of our address we are only eligible to vote on state wide and federal issues and perhaps some other wider issues but nothing related to schools and such.

We are currently set up for mail forwarding once a month on the 18th. Of course there is an annual fee for that service plus postage. I also signed up for the "gold plan" where I get an Email every day on whether or not I have any mail if is so, from who.

Since then we have updated all of our banking and other financial stuff to the new address. The only thing left is our insurance policies but that is complex because we close on our S&B home this coming Monday and we figured we will wait until that is done. Also, all of my retirement paperwork uses the SD address.

All my friends and family have our current CG address we will be at until we retire NOV 30th and head for Winter Ranch in Alamo, TX. At that point they will get our TX address.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I've heard good things about My Dakota Address. We opted for Alternative Resources in Sioux Falls, SD because of recommendations and its location closer to where we where. I posted this in another thread about the process.

Alternative Resources | RV Mail Forwarding | Sioux Falls | South Dakota

I think America's Mailbox is on the other side of the state in Rapids City.

1. We established an address with a personal mail box (PMB) with AR a couple weeks before we made the trip.

2. We arrived in Sioux Falls on a Thursday and using our AR address we registered at the Tower CG and got a receipt for our stay. AR and Tower CG have a good working relationship so Tower knows what you need.

3. Friday morning we got to the DMV, turned in our IL DL and got our SD DL. No tests, no special license. They do require some very specific verification of name and US residency.

4. We then had an appointment at AR at 11:00 to go through all the paperwork needed to register our DSDP and Honda CRV in SD.

For about $85 AR did all the work to get our titles with liens from the lenders and take the paperwork to the DMV. The registration fee for the RV is based on UNLOADED vehicle weight. It was a tad over $500 for my DSDP plus some other fees. Since we ordered special plates (RV HOME & RV TOAD) we also paid $30 a for each vehicle for that privilege. We got our temp tags last Monday and should have our metal plates within 2 weeks. If we hadn't gone specialized plates, we would have those now.

While we were at AR we also registered to vote in SD. Because of our address we are only eligible to vote on state wide and federal issues and perhaps some other wider issues but nothing related to schools and such.

We are currently set up for mail forwarding once a month on the 18th. Of course there is an annual fee for that service plus postage. I also signed up for the "gold plan" where I get an Email every day on whether or not I have any mail if is so, from who.

Since then we have updated all of our banking and other financial stuff to the new address. The only thing left is our insurance policies but that is complex because we close on our S&B home this coming Monday and we figured we will wait until that is done. Also, all of my retirement paperwork uses the SD address.

All my friends and family have our current CG address we will be at until we retire NOV 30th and head for Winter Ranch in Alamo, TX. At that point they will get our TX address.

X2 On Alternative Resources, that is the go to place in Sioux Falls, and its so easy, but not as easy as it used to be. At one point in time all of the places you had to go except for the municipal building were right next to each other, but because of costs and expenses you do have to travel to each of the other required governmental offices, but still they are not that far away, and it gives you a chance to look around your new adopted city of residence.

Cheers !!!!
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCS View Post
Today we celebrate one week of full timing, we left our home where it seems many are heading, Arizona. We wonder why? but know its their Bali..I think the best experience is just saying hi and meeting people. I could have a garage sale at each stop and sell off all the extra packed gear, I could afford a 40 footer!
Where are you heading? We are going to be leaving this next week...have been at our home in TN this week trying to get the house ready for renters to take over in Oct.

Now, we can't decide where to go next...lol. We spent most of the summer in East TN and really enjoyed it, but would like to go to Alaska next year. We don't really want to travel hard, but want to spend at least a few days at each stop. Can't decide which direction to drive. :-)
stonekeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #56

Thor Owners Club
Enjoy the posts.

Julie Bis & Idgie,
Trina and I are enjoying the posts from everyone on your thread.
I think it was Dave and Beth a while ago gave us one tip on FT that we are going to do. 2x2x2 See if I remember this correctly.

Travel no more than 200 miles in a day. In CG by 2pm and stay for at least 2 days to see what is in that area.

One thing I mentioned on a thread for saving money is use that internet and research the areas you want to visit. Look at the points along the way and scope out the smaller communities.

Most all of these small towns in America have web sites. I am talking about towns of populations 3-4k or less. When you are on that page, see what is offered in the way of recreation, camping, lodging. We have found many small towns offer either free, donation or low cost camping either at an established city campground or park area.

One such small town for example had free camping out by the town lake with electric only and the city campground in town was about a block from the city pool and had water, electric and sanitation station. It had a donation box.

A lot of these small towns want you to come visit in hopes of getting some business in town and lure you away from the interstate or big city CG's.

It takes a little bit of searching but you have time on your hands and certainly can save a ton of money camping if you do that. There are web sites for free camping but I have found many of those still miss these small town "freebies".

Also when you scout out some of these smaller towns pay attention to rural lakes along the way. Surprising how many road side parks, lake parks with free places to stay and some even have 15amp service.

We are not against staying at established CG's with pools etc. However, it is pleasantly surprising how many of these off the main path places and rural lakes have fishing, hiking, wildlife, and little to no cost.

Blessings

Jim & Trina
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote