Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2016, 01:03 PM   #1

iRV2 No Limits Club
Fulltiming dp or 5er for disabled

Dw and i are hoping to retire in a couple years and have really been looking into some of the larger 5er"s. We really like the layouts of a couple models grand design solitude fl, th 375 and a couple others. I guess our question is how much trouble are the 5er"s for someone with a disability compared to a motorhome? My dw has rheumatoid arthritis and doesnt do stairs real well, she can go up them but are difficult, plus she has limited use of her arms. Our dream is to be able to travel to other states and stay a couple months in each location where our kids live. So we are looking for advice, suggestions, experiences people have had. Thanks
yankeetom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2016, 01:08 PM   #2

I have no personal experience but I would think a MH would be easier on her. They sit lower when parked than a 5er so not so high to climb going in and out. There's also less phisical work setting them up and breaking them down. I know you would probably be doing that portion but it's still something to think about.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:17 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I guess a lot will depend on how severe the arthritis is or whether it is progressing. A DP sitting lower will be easier to get into. It will allow her access to onboard facilties, bathroom etc. I have seen some MHs with lifts for disabled. I can't tell you much about them. Perhaps someone else can help with that. A DP once inside, will have a flat floor plan.
A 5er while roomy, usually wll have interior stairs up to a room in larger models. That said some 5ers are very nice for extended living.

Best of luck with your search.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:29 PM   #4

A company in AZ called CoachLift makes lifts for RVs. Their website: coachlift.com.
I looked into them a few years ago and their products look pretty slick, but the costs was several thousand dollars. For Class A motorhome, they make units that mount outside just behind the door or inside the coach near the door (not sure how that one works). I think they also had units for 5th wheels and TTs. Looks like they customize the lift for your coach so will probably fit a lot of different RVs.

Good luck.
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeetom View Post
Dw and i are hoping to retire in a couple years and have really been looking into some of the larger 5er"s. We really like the layouts of a couple models grand design solitude fl, th 375 and a couple others. I guess our question is how much trouble are the 5er"s for someone with a disability compared to a motorhome? My dw has rheumatoid arthritis and doesnt do stairs real well, she can go up them but are difficult, plus she has limited use of her arms. Our dream is to be able to travel to other states and stay a couple months in each location where our kids live. So we are looking for advice, suggestions, experiences people have had. Thanks
I would suggest a MH as once inside no more stairs. My parents just purchased a new Winnebego that has a electric chair lift for my mother to get inside and also has a wheelchair acsessible shower and toilet. Works great for them. Apparently Winnebago is one of the few to offer it
Old 03-18-2016, 10:09 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to lb0507
Another vote for motorhome.

My partner & I have been full time going on 3 years. My partner has advanced multiple sclerosis & needs a wheelchair for almost everything. We have a 35 ft class A towing a CRV.

We very quickly realized a 5er would not work for us. The point about steps going up to the sleeping area in a 5er is important. Also consider stops you make while traveling, especially rest stops. Having to get out of the tow vehicle, into the coach, then out of the coach & into the tow vehicle takes a lot of pleasure out of the journey. Think about having to do that in bad weather or late at night, especially if dw is having a bad day.

With the MH we can pull into the rest stop & take care of business, have something to eat, take a nap or turn in for the night without my partner being forced to leave the MH.

Our floor plan allows my partner to use a transport wheelchair to get around inside. When we want to go somewhere we have the toad with a mobility scooter in the back.

Check out each floor plan very intensely, particularly with the slides IN as well as out. Something that may seem just an annoyance can be an impossibility to a disabled person.

Can your dw maneuver the aisle with slides in, especially if she needs or were to need a mobility device? What about accessing bathroom and shower, especially with slides in? Can the shower accommodate a shower chair? Check how it is for her to get in and out of bed. Are light switches and electric outlets reachable? I've lost count of how many rigs we immediately wrote off because of things like counter corners sticking out at angles cutting off part of the aisle. Also, some motorhomes do have a step inside. May not be an issue over time but could turn into one.

We do not use a coach lift but know people who have them. Definitely worth looking into.

You might find this blog useful: rollinginarv-wheelchairtraveling.blogspot.com

Sorry for the long post, but hope this helps. We have been able to travel all over this country, including Alaska, in spite of the disability. Love the lifestyle.
lb0507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 04:15 AM   #7

RVing with Disabilities

My wife and I are both Total Permanent Disability (her back- 4 surgeries over 15 year period, and my back- 5 years forced retirement & no surgery). We looked at everything RV and bought a 30' Class A. We are new RVers but will be full-time within a year. Because we bought an older unit ('98), I want to make sure everything is up-to-date and it is all paid for. No debt to carry has always been my way. I have upgraded the Electrical Management System, an 'On-Demand' Hot Water system, WiFi Antenna, Booster and Router, New Tires, Shocks, Air Bags on the front springs. So far we love it! 3 steps up and in, a partial step (4") into the bath room and a partial step (4") into the front seats. All the rest of the coach is one level.
Very easy to set-up- leveling is done from the drivers seat. Hook-up power cord, water hose and sewer line- and you are done! The awning was a trick, but a neighbor came over and showed me how to do it and told me how to take it down. Great people in RV parks, in fact, none better. I have not seen anyone that hasn't been friendly.
Our options (because we can no longer maintain the house) were an apartment or the Motor home. I am so glad we choose the RV. We will stay close to Drs. and our adult kids, but have the option of mountains or beaches here in NC, USA for those extended (14 day) trips. We have found 5 campgrounds very close to our old house (we were there about 30 years).
The plan- kids pick what they want, then an absolute auction on the remainder, then full-time RV. Best of everything to you and the Mrs.
steamyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:05 AM   #8

You may be better off driving your car a staying at a hotel. Both the MH and 5'er have stairs, low toilets, small showers, etc.
Happy Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:33 AM   #9

This link may give you an idea what is available. We stayed in Texas with a couple who had a similar Newmar and it worked well for their situation.

http://www.northtrailrv.com/content/wheelchair_accessible_motorhomes
Old 03-21-2016, 07:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbahrns View Post
This link may give you an idea what is available. We stayed in Texas with a couple who had a similar Newmar and it worked well for their situation.

http://www.northtrailrv.com/content/wheelchair_accessible_motorhomes

For some reason I'm having trouble getting the link to work. Here is is again. If it doesn't work the model is on North Tails website and it can be found with a search.

http://northtrailrv.com/content/wheelchair_accessible_motorhomes
Old 03-21-2016, 09:43 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Prospector View Post
You may be better off driving your car a staying at a hotel. Both the MH and 5'er have stairs, low toilets, small showers, etc.
UM...Not entirely up to date info maybe?

Newmar has some wheelchair accessible models including the diesel pusher Dutchstar and Ventana 4311 models and the previously Mentioned Canyon Star gas models. I'm not familiar with any other brands with such features from the factory but I bet there are some.

The showers in the DSDP/VTDP are not that small and any RV can have the toilet seat raised with an additional base. I have one and totally agree that most stock toilets are too short for normal people even.

Keep in mind that the Newmar coaches are not entirely ADA compliant coaches. These are not designed to meet ALL disability needs but are a good start in allowing many more folks with special needs a chance to enjoy RV travel.

From my observations of 5th wheels, they are more challenged to make as easy to access all parts given the steps to get into them and then again into the nose (usually the bedroom) area. I wouldn't be surprised to find aftermarket lifts for an RV. I did see some information on travel trailers working on more wheelchair accessibility. Given Newmar's ability to make reasonable modification I think they are capable of being as ADA compliant as any other RV out there that isn't totally custom built from the wheels up.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, chair lift, disability, disabled, handicap, handicapped, led, mobility, scooter, special needs, wheelchair