Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2016, 11:35 AM   #1

Get out there and just do it!

People; I'm going to catch #### for this but, common sense ��just do it, you'll figure ît out as you go like always. Worry and lists and planning o my.
Oldone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2016, 11:51 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone1 View Post
People; I'm going to catch [moderator edit] for this but, common sense ��just do it, you'll figure ît out as you go like always. Worry and lists and planning o my.
So true, we just hit the road most times and figure it out as we go. We don't normally make reservations and have found many great places we would have never thought of. We try to plan a final destination to be our turn around point, but that changes too. Lists and planning is what I had to do while working, no need to do that while having fun. I like to just get out, have fun, and wherever the road takes us we go. Anything you forget you can probably afford to buy, or get by without it, if it was that important you wouldn't forget it.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:25 AM   #3

agreed, and I don't want or use a 'gps' simply because I don't want something telling me EXACTLY where I should go _ I pick a final destination and start in that general direction and let our desires, traffic, scenery, and weather determine our stops and overnights along the way, for the most part.
I get a general idea of where we might be in 250miles, and then use my passport america or goodsam app, or google map search, to find an rv park, campground, or parking lot for the night's stop. Sometimes we even find out of the way, almost unknown, city or county parks that have great rv sites. I actually prefer these over the normal 'campgrounds' since they tend to be most scenic, cost effective, and a little more interesting than the norm. And, yes, we RARELY make reservations - I find it more difficult to call or contact a park or campground to make reservations(they demand SO MUCH INFORMATION!) than just showing up and walking in, and many times the 'after hours' entry is MUCH easier and faster since you can choose your own site!!

Every night's stop is not necessarily the most ideal, but that's just part of the journey. We've certainly had our nights at the local noisy, truck laden, walmart or home depot, and we've also had many overnights at very beautiful, quiet, walmarts, etc., = two that come to mind are Hurricane Utah, and Asheville NC.

50k miles in 23 months = getting ready for NY state and VA visits next week
Hiawassee, GA beautiful lake and mountains this week, though!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:37 PM   #4

We love it. I wish we would have done this sooner. 😀.

Today, we are at Adams County Winery, being that we are Harvest Host members. It's so nice to have wine and a nice place to stop on our stay the night.

It's great to be able to go anywhere at anytime. If you are thinking about this life style, just do it. Take that step.

Sent from somewhere in the USA
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:24 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Just to play the devils advocate. How would you feel if an airline pilot decided he didn't need his lists? Lists have their place.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:15 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
The best pilots can fly by the seat of their pants and adjust for the unexpected. I don't want to fly with a pilot who has to check his lists in an emergency :0
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:35 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
.....50k miles in 23 months = getting ready for NY state and VA visits next week
Hiawassee, GA beautiful lake and mountains this week, though!
Is there some race out there with a prize at the end for getting the most miles in? 50K in under 2 yrs - WHY?

Slow down and stay a while in a spot - find the good breakfast diners, go to the local theater group's next play, visit the local museum, take up geocaching, take time and smell the roses!
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:48 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That does it!!! Quitting work tomorrow and we are out of here. Anybody want a nice three bedroom in New Mexico?
Old 05-31-2016, 11:47 AM   #9

This one has it down pat,write in across the sky, I love it.
Oldone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:19 AM   #10

Was going to retire at 62, but things changed and I did it at 60. For years I told people who worked for me to retire when you know you will be ok. None of us get to pick our last day. I finally woke up and took my own advise. No regrets. Life is great and there is so much to see. Can only hope I have enough days to see all I want to.

Hit the road and enjoy this great country!!!
Old 06-08-2016, 02:28 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We too like that "just do it" attitude, but sometimes it just won't work. We had planned to lease the house and try a 1-year fulltiming trial run, more than a year ago, but due to medical problems that hasn't happened.

Right now we are shooting for the end of the year. We'll see!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:42 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Oldone1. Couldn't agree more. We've been full time for 5 years now and loving it.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We too like that "just do it" attitude, but sometimes it just won't work. We had planned to lease the house and try a 1-year fulltiming trial run, more than a year ago, but due to medical problems that hasn't happened.

Right now we are shooting for the end of the year. We'll see!
Are the medical issues something you can deal with elsewhere? There are excellent facilities all over the country and sometimes even a second opinion helps.

Also, full-timing for 1 year as a 'trial run' won't give you an idea of what it can be. It takes some time to work out the kinks and logistics and rushing through it knowing that you 'might' quit after a year just doesn't seem like a commitment. It's a completely different lifestyle and if problems arise it might just be too easy to say, "that's enough".

Just suggestions....perhaps these aren't doable for you but it seems like you really want to do this. Good luck!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote