RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:54 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Getting prescriptions refilled on the road

Will soon be a full time RVer. Wondering how others get their prescriptions refilled on the road? Thanks,

RVsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2019, 01:01 PM   #2

I am Canadian so this may not work in the US but you should be able to have your prescriptions transferred to any pharmacy. When you move on and need another refill transfer again. This will work as long as you have refills available. When you run out you will need to visit a Dr. to get them renewed.

Geoff

Old 03-19-2019, 01:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVsailor View Post
Will soon be a full time RVer. Wondering how others get their prescriptions refilled on the road? Thanks,
My wife handles that. She uses CVS and Walgreens. You can do 90% with an app. In some areas CVS is better and others Walgreens so she will transfer some back and forth, I think on her app.

Very easy.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:35 PM   #4

Right before we went to Alaska, we transferred our prescriptions to Walgreens. There are a few Walgreens in Alaska and a ton of them in the rest of the US. CVS did not have any pharmacy's that we could find in Alaska, even though they are pretty widespread in the lower 48. One controlled substance medication took an extra day to get filled in Alaska because they had to confirm through a database that I had not refilled it before the allowed date. We are US citizens.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:41 PM   #5

DW is a Kaiser customer. All we need to do is go online and order her scripts and designate an address. Their mailed out and she has them in a few days
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:53 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Express Scripts for maintenance meds. Sent to our mail forwarding address than forward on to us. We get scripts for 90 days with three refills each fall from our internetís. If we need short term Rex we use Walgreens.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:56 PM   #7

So much depends on what insurance you have, and what medicines you are going to get filled, and what state you are in and going to. New York being one of the hardest states we tried get my blood pressure prescription filled.

Certain schedule (classes) of drugs may be blocked from being refilled unless a new prescription is written by a doctor in that state.

There is no one answer fits all.
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:25 PM   #8

Pure hell. I get my scripts filled at my local Walmart. You'd think their database would be shared between all stores, but if you pick up a refill at a different store, it gets transferred away from the original store and is gone forever.

If you're unlucky enough to use the Walmart in Parker Arizona, it's nearly impossible to fix the screwup because their phone is busy 99% of the time. I managed to transfer one of the scripts back home but nobody can figure out what happened with the others.

I ended up having to ask my doctor for new prescriptions just to get them filled at home again.

If you're traveling close to the US/Mexico border, it might be worthwhile to walk across to one of the border towns and pick up whatever you need there. It's generic, and the dosages may be different from the US version but it's mostly reliable and a lot less expensive than even the cash price for generics in the US.

The only one I had trouble buying in Mexico this year was a cancer medicine that is available generic in the US and relatively cheap -- the Liquis pharmacy in Algodones only had the brand for $175/28 pills which is loads cheaper than the US price for the brand, but more than what I paid for 100 pills each of my other 5 generic meds put together.

I signed up today for an Rx discount card with a major supermarket chain that (at least online) offers great prices for 180 day supply of all 6 of my meds. The cash price works out cheaper than the copay if I'd run it thru my insurance. I'll follow up after I've actually used it to see if it's all it's cracked up to be.
SillyLilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:39 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
We use Walmart coast to coast....Walmarts are everywhere!
Old 03-19-2019, 06:51 PM   #10

We also get all of our prescriptions at Walmart. And yes they transfer the scrip to where you get it filled last. But all you have to do is show the pill bottle to the next Walmart, they look at the location of the last filled store, and transfer the rest of the scrip to them. So on and so forth. They can even look your name up and see where the scrip is located then transfer back to them. They do this all the time day in and day out. But with any job, there are occasional problems.

Also remember, to complicate this even further, the federal government has rules and regulations for all drugs, AND each state has their own laws. So a pharmacist has to know the ins and outs of everywhere we travel, to help us when its time to get refills.

Also Walmart, and well as many other dispensing stores, you can refill your scrip online, and have it mailed to you.......if the state you are in or the state you just came from allows it! You can also online refill a scrip, but have it filled at any Walmart store you want. Then all you have to do is travel to that store, and pick up your medicine.........if that state allows it!
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:56 PM   #11

We have found CVS and Walgreens to be seamless on prescriptions everywhere, including Puerto Rico.

My wife goes to a high quality pain management clinic run by an anesthesiologist. She takes two controlled pain medicines, and her scripts must be picked up month by month at the doctor's office. The U.S. government prohibits such prescriptions to be post dated too. There is no way around it that we will never be able to travel more than 30 days without dipping into Middle Tennessee to visit her pain management clinic.

There's no way to get around the rules as government oversight is in just about every state on opioid prescriptions. Pain meds are going to get even harder to legally obtain too. It's just how it is.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:29 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
We always get our meds in a 90 day supply. It cuts down on the number of times you need to refill them. We use CVS and can usually locate one along the way.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
We also get all of our prescriptions at Walmart. And yes they transfer the scrip to where you get it filled last. But all you have to do is show the pill bottle to the next Walmart, they look at the location of the last filled store, and transfer the rest of the scrip to them. So on and so forth. They can even look your name up and see where the scrip is located then transfer back to them. They do this all the time day in and day out. But with any job, there are occasional problems.
We used WalMart across the country and in Alaska. Absolutely no problems. As stated above, all they have to do to transfer from one to another is look it up. Simple.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:36 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
We use CVS nationwide with no problems. Can find them just about everywhere. We also get our meds for 90 days at time.

We also have a couple different antibiotics on hand in the RV at all times...just in case

momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, scr