Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #1

Getting Ready!

Anyone have wise wisdom for me? Couldn't wait to line up a full time rv lifestyle, now that things are starting to line up I'm scared! How many out there had "What if" resonate their brains? "If I get rid of this will I regret it someday"? "Am I too young to do this yet"? Oh my the never ending second guessing myself!
jandk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Take a deep breath. You have been planning this. It will be okay!

Have fun.......jim
Old 05-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
As long as you've planned for the life style and have the $ available to do the things you've planned, you will love it. Great live, great people, and a beautiful country to visit.

As for missing things, after a few months you won't even remember what you sold, gave away, or stored.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Will you die if you made the wrong decision? If not, then why worry. Really, life is about trying things, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. You don't have to do it perfectly - who do you know that is perfect? The worst is that you won't like it and go do something else. As a cancer survivor I have an appreciation for just enjoying what we have and if we need to do something different, then we will do something different.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #5

Hi jandk,
I'm at the same place you are, for the last month I've been going through 35 years of stuff, things we've carted from house to house. Most of it I wondered why I had even kept it this long (think old cooking utensils even I don't want to use), but there have been some things I questioned whether to get rid of or not. There were two questions I asked myself 1-is it irreplaceable? 2-does it hold a deep seated emotional attachment? If the answer was no then it goes, For the yes things I rented a 5x7 storage unit and I am only keeping what I can fit into it and no more. What I realized was that it isn't the things that made my memories - It was the people I love and love me that make memories and whether I have that particular piece of furniture or not I will always have those memories. I am sooooo ready for the fulltime lifestyle.... WoooHoooo Here We Come! Besides when we decide to live a stationary life it will be nice getting new furniture
Old 06-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Been there, done that, even bought the T-shirt. Yes, there are still things I miss by not having a house, but when I feel myself getting nostalgic for those things, I go outside and look around and realize that all the scenery I see is mine to explore. It never fails to lift my spirits and stop missing those things. It's a big step, and there will be ups and downs, but I'm sure you will adapt and have a great time!
llmrealestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:10 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandk View Post
Anyone have wise wisdom for me? Couldn't wait to line up a full time rv lifestyle, now that things are starting to line up I'm scared! How many out there had "What if" resonate their brains? "If I get rid of this will I regret it someday"? "Am I too young to do this yet"? Oh my the never ending second guessing myself!
We have 29 days until the short sell of our house is final and we move into our RV full time. 32 days until I retire and 48 days until we are on the road full time. Every day I think about the same same things Jandk does "What if." Still not sure I am doing the right thing BUT we have talked about it and planned it out for years. We have a super RV and I hope enough money to enjoy the life style so while I have my doubts I am getting anxious to get started. Safe travels to everyone.
CPO_Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:23 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Will you die if you made the wrong decision? If not, then why worry. Really, life is about trying things, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. You don't have to do it perfectly - who do you know that is perfect? The worst is that you won't like it and go do something else. As a cancer survivor I have an appreciation for just enjoying what we have and if we need to do something different, then we will do something different.

Barb
I have to agree with Barb, life is so short and your lifestyle can change in a instant. Enjoy what you want to do, and don't look back. Make those memories, there free and last forever. As far as being perfect, my wife has always said that I'm a know it all. That count.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #9

Thank you everyone for your insight. Such a big decision but a very exciting one
jandk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:52 PM   #10

Hi every one, I too just started my new full timer life, we picked it up on the first of month & did the usual fixing it up since it is a used class c. I have planned on buying an RV for some time now but found myself self in a position that allowed me to be able to move out of apt & start this new adventure....it was a quick purge of my so called previous life...I did it in less than a month. Eek...but now that i'm living in it, I love it. Wouldn't go back. I hope you will too!
bk tioga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I think most of us have had that moment of 'What the heck have I done?' Once you get on the road, you will wonder why you worried about it. I did get rid of a couple things I found I could have used, so I went to Walmart and bought new. Not a major problem. The family stuff all went to the kids and storage, so that hasn't been an issue. Enjoy the adventure and try not to worry about the little stuff. Life is too short. Safe travels.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
Most every full timer goes through the "What If?" stage. This too shall pass.

You know when you have moved on when the questions changes to: "Why didn't I do this years ago?"

Welcome to freedom.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:48 AM   #13

I also look at it as I have made plenty of mistakes before and not one couldn't be rectified, some easily and some not but rectified they were. Second - life is WAY too short. I've had two significan't losses already this year within a short time of each other, and it was after the second one that my husband and I made this decision (been planning it for awhile). To paraphrase a saying " I want to come screeching into the end of my life sideways and think -Whew What A Ride" not trudging like I had shackles on.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:59 AM   #14

jandk, Good luck. Would love to try it some day.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote