Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2018, 04:40 PM   #1

Gnats!!

We seem to have a healthy supply of gnats. I have a blue light device that is trapping a number of them. And yesterday I put out several glasses of apple cider vinegar with some dish soap in them and caught a whole lot more.

Will just continuing with this approach eventually get rid of them? Or do I have to try to figure out where the heck they are coming from due to their breeding prowess?

I have no idea where they are breeding at this point and am not sure how I can figure it out.

Thanks!
ianschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2018, 04:44 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We used similar approaches to control our population, but eventually used Raid aerosol bombs in all storage compartments and in the main living areas. Best suspect is that they were coming from our waste tanks.

The bombs has a secondary impact on other critters - if there were any ...
Old 09-03-2018, 04:45 PM   #3

Location: Dan & Pam Nachel RVM #175 & 175a, three Doberman traveling companions
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianschneider View Post
We seem to have a healthy supply of gnats. I have a blue light device that is trapping a number of them. And yesterday I put out several glasses of apple cider vinegar with some dish soap in them and caught a whole lot more.

Will just continuing with this approach eventually get rid of them? Or do I have to try to figure out where the heck they are coming from due to their breeding prowess?

I have no idea where they are breeding at this point and am not sure how I can figure it out.

Thanks!

You will never get rid of them completely Best remedy, cut a hole in the back of your britches, it keeps them out of your face
DobeBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 04:48 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have heard of people leaving their black and gray tanks open which allowed sewer gnats to invade the RV. Just another of the many reasons NOT to leave the drains open.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 04:52 PM   #5

Put a little vanilla on you face. They don't like the smell and they will stay away from your face. It doesn't even have to be the real stuff to work. Besides you will smell like a cookie.
wsherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 05:40 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Keep the gray tank valve closed. If I leave it open here in Tampa it takes about a week for the MH home to fill with them. Close it and set out 2 bowls of apple cider vinegar and dish soap and they all drown and no more problem. How they get past the traps in the sinks and shower is a mystery to me, guess they are good swimmers.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 05:49 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Are your Nats inside the RV or are they outside the RV that’s the first question

If they’re inside of the RV then here’s what you do to get rid of them step one go buy two or three fly strips and you pull them down and you you hang them off of a light that is in the front inside of the RV

When you go to bed leave only those lights on with the straps close everything down when you wake up in the morning they will be 100% gone

We got the same thing from Snake River Campground in Idaho Falls we woke up in the morning and we had thousands the inside of the RV they did not come from the sewer hopefully that will fix your problem
Old 09-03-2018, 06:57 PM   #8

We had sewer gnats when we were in Florida last winter. And we never leave our black or gray tank valves open. When we emptied our tanks and ran the black water tank washer it would get rid of them for about 24-48 hours and then they'd be back. Some areas of Florida were worse than others. Once we left Florida this spring the gnats disappeared.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:08 PM   #9

Point your RV towards Northern Arizona.... No gnats.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:15 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I should have added that if they are sewer gnats coming through your sink/shower drains you will need to clean the drains.

Ammonia is one recommended method but the smell is awful, I prefer vinegar and baking soda down each drain.

I dump about 1/8 cup of baking soda in to the drain and then pour just enough vinegar to liquify the baking soda. Let it set 30 minutes or a bit longer then flush with water.

Here is a whole page of threads from iRV2 discussing sewer gnats, you mind find something useful here. I could not find the thread I orinally read that helped me rid the MH of them but I think most all threads on this topic contain relatively the same information.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sewe...om%2Fforums%2F
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:40 AM   #11

Are you sure they're gnats? In the fall we sometimes got fruit flies - not a lot but some, especially if traveling in fruit farming areas. A small amount of wine (a waste) or vinegar in a glass covered with foil and then punching some holes in the top solved the problem fast.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:37 AM   #12

We found them coming in from the weep holes on the window frames, also through the bathroom ceiling fan screen which the holes were too big. Ditto the apple cider vinegar always works, and cheap.
katydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by katydid View Post
We found them coming in from the weep holes on the window frames,
Yes!!! I've never actually seen one come in through there, but they usually appear right by this one window and I can see an opening by the bottom of the window panes where they could get in once they're in the frame via the weep hole.

Strangely, it's almost always just one or two, or maybe three.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote