Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2017, 06:45 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Timing is everything ....

Well, I'm still trying to figure out the timing of all this. I understand the necessity to still own our s&b when finalizing the loan. I'm just not sure where to go from there.

Here is our situation:

- We currently own a house in Texas
- We probably will buy a new MH from a Texas dealer.
- We will finance and close on the loan while still owning our house
- Our plan is to change domicile to SD or Florida.
- And here is where (in my mind) the problems start:
1. In order to close on the loan we will need proof of insurance on the MH so I need to get insurance in SD or FL. Wouldn’t that raise a red flag with the finance company?
2. We have to register and title the MH in SD or FL and at the same time get our driver’s license, etc. Again, wouldn’t that also raise a red flag?
- If we get past all that we’ll sell the house and start our vagabond live.

Has anybody done it this way and how did they overcome those hurdles?

Thanks for any insights,
Dan
dxg0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2017, 02:01 PM   #16

For some reason, I thought that TX was a pretty good location to have a domicile. Maybe that is incorrect.

Air conditioning takes about 1 kW on average to operate. (so roughly 24 kW-hrs per summer day).

There are some companies out there that offer add - on auxiliary power units capable of assisting in that specific application. You can think of them as either a UPS for your RV, or sort of a serial hybrid so that the generator only runs about 1/3 of the time.

Harry
Old 08-18-2017, 05:06 PM   #17

Yeah for real.

You're already in Texas. Talk about making it easier.

We've been planning going FTing for almost a year and just made the final move about 2 months ago and are now FTing.

I suggest you join Escapees in Livingston TX. This is no brainer.
https://www.escapees.com
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:09 PM   #18

We start full timing the end of September, first workamper gig in Alabama Oct- Dec. we well make our daughters address in Mansfield , TX our domicile .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by trysec View Post
Definitely open to changing domecile. That was my next step in research. Currently located in Colorado. I've considered SD, but not quiet sure what that would entail given my relatively short timeline.
Back to OPs topic........

Things to consider at your age.
Medical Coverage. Company provide or you do?

YOU------SD is NOT a good option anymore ....no real out of state coverage

Residence requires ONE overnight stay in SD with CG/Motel Receipt as proof.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Back to OPs topic........

Things to consider at your age.
Medical Coverage. Company provide or you do?

YOU------SD is NOT a good option anymore ....no real out of state coverage

Residence requires ONE overnight stay in SD with CG/Motel Receipt as proof.
I have medical insurance through my employer, for now. I may be liable for my own health insurance via self employment in the next 6-12 months.
trysec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:16 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Yeah for real.

You're already in Texas. Talk about making it easier.

We've been planning going FTing for almost a year and just made the final move about 2 months ago and are now FTing.

I suggest you join Escapees in Livingston TX. This is no brainer.
https://www.escapees.com
Main reason for wanting to change domicile to SD or FL is the drivers license requirement in Texas. You need to get a non commercial class B to drive an RV over 26k pounds. It's impossible to take the test without having bought the RV but once you buy the RV you can't drive it and practice without a valid license.

And yes, I know, 90 percent of Texas RV drivers drive without the proper license but that's not an option for us.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:19 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxg0001 View Post
Main reason for wanting to change domicile to SD or FL is the drivers license requirement in Texas. You need to get a non commercial class B to drive an RV over 26k pounds.

And yes, I know, 90 percent of Texas RV drivers drive without the proper license but that's not an option for us.
Your Class B weighs over 26K? I find that hard to believe.

We have a 35' Class A, fully loaded and FTing and our MH is way under 26K and drive with a regular TDL and is legal.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:04 AM   #23
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Your Class B weighs over 26K? I find that hard to believe.

We have a 35' Class A, fully loaded and FTing and our MH is way under 26K and drive with a regular TDL and is legal.
I believe he is talking about a "Non-commercial Class B Driver's License" not a driver's license for a Class B RV. They are not the same thing. dxg0001 would be correct in that if his RV (any class) is over 26K, then he would need a Class B Driver's License if he is a Texas resident.

Texas has different classes of licenses, including A, B, C, and M, as well as CDL. There may be more, but I stopped looking.
cwk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:23 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
I believe he is talking about a "Non-commercial Class B Driver's License" not a driver's license for a Class B RV. They are not the same thing. dxg0001 would be correct in that if his RV (any class) is over 26K, then he would need a Class B Driver's License if he is a Texas resident.

Texas has different classes of licenses, including A, B, C, and M, as well as CDL. There may be more, but I stopped looking.
Yeah I know what he's saying...but since he can't be over 26K a reg. TDL is fine.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:00 PM   #25

Quote:
Yeah I know what he's saying...but since he can't be over 26K a reg. TDL is fine.
Two different posters...confusing

Trysec is the OP who said he's getting a Class B, so yes, doesn't need the special license in TX

dxg0001 is the poster who doesn't want to domicile in Texas because of the license requirement over 26K lbs. Didn't say what he's buying. Think he jumped onto Trysec's post.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:47 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.G. View Post
Two different posters...confusing

Trysec is the OP who said he's getting a Class B, so yes, doesn't need the special license in TX

dxg0001 is the poster who doesn't want to domicile in Texas because of the license requirement over 26K lbs. Didn't say what he's buying. Think he jumped onto Trysec's post.
I'm just hear looking for recommendations on domecile, financing, and a Class B. Can we move the new conversation to another thread? [emoji4]
trysec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:06 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trysec View Post
I'm just hear looking for recommendations on domecile, financing, and a Class B. Can we move the new conversation to another thread? [emoji4]
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread I'll start a new one with my question.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:36 PM   #28

Look forward to connecting further with the community.

There is already a support group in place for folks exactly like you. Explore the Xscapers. https://www.xscapers.com/

For an incredible source of great information from "techies living on the road" check out the Technomads. Technomadia | Adventures in Nomadic Serendipity

You are wise, at an early age, to be considering this lifestyle. All the best.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote