Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2019, 07:19 PM   #57

Did I miss it, or has anyone said anything about getting a hotspot for safe internet access for online banking? I see reviews all the time about poor wireless internet service at RV parks, and I wonder why people want to use a "public" wireless internet service.
OlJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2019, 08:28 PM   #58

I use Ally as my traveling bank. They pay the ATM charges for up to 6 withdrawals a month and I have used it from Florida to Alaska, California to Maine. I use a Money Market account for withdrawals and push money into it from Savings which currently earns 2.2 APY. Easy to use online.
mcdade54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:44 PM   #59

We use a hotspot and virtual private network for banking and online shopping and stuff like that.
nancybninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:05 AM   #60

We have used our Credit Union with our Full-Time travelling. All transactions are on line, and if we need to get cash we go to a 'shared co-op branch' which seem to be nearly everywhere.

We have had a few brushes with the 'physical address' thing with some institutions. The Patriot Act states that each financial institution must implement procedures to verify who they give accounts to. But doesn't require any specifics. Our permanent address (mail, banking, investments, taxes, SS, Medicare, licenses, voting, etc.) has a suite number, not a box number, which seems to help quite a bit. We did set it up about 2 years after hitting the road.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:09 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlJB View Post
Did I miss it, or has anyone said anything about getting a hotspot for safe internet access for online banking? I see reviews all the time about poor wireless internet service at RV parks, and I wonder why people want to use a "public" wireless internet service.
I won't bank on a public WiFi system, but if you have your own cell service, or VPN via public wifi, it is the safer route. Banking apps on phones with fingerprint sensors are also a good way to go for security.
MarkK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:34 AM   #62

BofA is pretty good but does NOT have the physical presence it once had. Not a big problem unless you are a frequent ATM user. BofA has an issue with entering a mailbox or PMB number online .... can usually be resolved at an office.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:17 AM   #63

Full Timers & Banking

Another Vote for migrating to On-line Banking.

We have used a local Bank from our home town for over 40 years. When I have an issue that needs face to face discussion we have always gotten very good personalized service.

This season shortly after departing in October we had a house fire at a rental property that we own. No one was hurt and we are fully covered with insurance. Our tenants are staying on site in a Mobile Home while the reconstruction is in progress.

When we drove our car back for the holidays we met with the Branch Manager at our bank to discuss the large sums of money that would be flowing through our accounts for the various reconstruction and replacement funds and provided them with contact information for the contractor that would be handling the construction and be paid in several large payments as the project progressed. All has gone smoothly allowing for the curves that Mother Nature has thrown at us.

What a difference: When my parent were full time in the 80's they had to rely on paper checks, pay phones, and snail-mail forwarding. Not quite Conestoga Wagons and the Chisum Trail but way more complicated than now.
craigbenoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:23 AM   #64

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbenoit View Post
Another Vote for migrating to On-line Banking.

What a difference: When my parent were full time in the 80's they had to rely on paper checks, pay phones, and snail-mail forwarding. Not quite Conestoga Wagons and the Chisum Trail but way more complicated than now.
My folks also full timed in the 80s and I remember mom's BAG OF QUARTERS! Quite a heavy thing when full. We put in a personal 800 number at the time (it was new) so she could call us without worrying about the time she talked to us.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:55 PM   #65

The one you have now and internet banking fulltime from 1999 stay away from atm,s use cash back at walmart for cash. hot spot was great until you have your cell phone your wife,s cell phone your kindle your wife's kindle your coumpter your wife's coumpter, hot spot only good for 5 devices
mrhlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:30 PM   #66

Wells Fargo
kLI45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:18 PM   #67

Not full-timing, but I have been doing multi-state banking for the last 7 years for family needs.

I had the best overall online service from Bank of America, but....
They pay just a few basis points on standard savings accounts.
The closest branch for me is 120 miles away.

US Bank - Good, but they were very slow to adopt fee-free mobile deposits. And they're reducing branches in my area. They also messed up a trust account and insisted on using the wrong SSN, causing interest to be reported to the wrong person. So I've scaled back using them for more than the basics.

Wells Fargo - I earned a contact that will provide very personalized assistance (e.g. 2% special interest rate on standard savings). But they fall short in some areas...
1) Their text system for ID verification is formatted poorly and I cannot see the whole number in many situations unless I open the texting app
2) If online Bill Pay requires them to cut and mail an actual check, they will debit the funds from your account 2 days later even though they know the check will not arrive for a week - And you have to take an extra step if you want to be notified when that check has been cashed.

Best regards,
Chris
BubbaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:49 AM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unlike 20 years ago, it's not that important! Most banks offer on line services, direct deposit, bill pay, Etc. I have had an account with Navy Federal Credit Union for about 40 years. I haven't lived near a branch of the CU for the past 30 years! I don't use the debit card since my Discover offers rebates, I write an average of maybe 1 check per month. I get electronic statements and other notifications via email. I can use an ATM for cash if I need more than $100 at a time. Otherwise, I just get cash back when using my Discover card.
covered.wago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:22 PM   #69

Good Banks for Fulltimers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockdar View Post
We have been full time for 2 years now. We use Wells Fargo and are extremely happy with online functionality of managing our accounts. I have found their customer service to be great and they are just about everywhere we have been so far. For those rare occasions we can't find one we also have an account with Ally. Ally will reimburse ATM fees. We are very happy with our current situation.

Hello Crockdar,

Ally cards are: Ally CashBack Credit Card is issued by TD Bank, N.A.

Just a heads up.

Tags
fulltime