Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2016, 12:42 PM   #1

Health insurance

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this? Wife will be retiring soon but without health insurnce was just wondering what comp amy of you guys might be using?
outbackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2016, 12:58 PM   #2

How long before she can get Medicare? Individual policies unless you can get a subsidy under Obamacare are quite expensive, usually have large deductibles, and are in many cases limited to your home state, county, or worse. A lot depends on where you live and what companies write in your state.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:06 PM   #3

Look into https://www.rverinsurance.com/ Kyle Henson is a fulltimer and helped many of us navigate the recent changes.

The best company and coverage for you is going to depend on what's available in your domicile state and what kind of coverage you need.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:07 PM   #4

Start at https://www.healthcare.gov/

If you need assistance sorting through your options, there are free, trained advisors available thst you can make an appointment with to figure out what you need.
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvo View Post
Start at https://www.healthcare.gov/

If you need assistance sorting through your options, there are free, trained advisors available thst you can make an appointment with to figure out what you need.
Second using healthcare.gov

All the stories of it being hard to use or to costly are bunk from what I saw.

mid 40s, two people, bronze plan will cost me zero a month with 3k per person
deductible assuming i make what I estimated this year.....15k total for the two of us. I make more it will cost me a bit more. If i fall short it will cost me a ton because i would fall into the medicaid trap.......I can not get medicaid and woud have to pay 100% out of pocket for the insurance
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:38 PM   #6

For full timing you want a nationwide PPO plan. Typically this means a BCBS plan, if available.

In your case, Anthem BCBS plans are available for Hamilton County, OH (Cincinnati, OH). I checked your "About Me".

To quickly "shop" for health plans, use www.healthsherpa.com.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:27 AM   #7

It can be pretty crazy when trying to find rates. Just going from one county to the next, the premium can be hundreds more. And this was supposed to be a better way?????
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:58 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrv View Post
Second using healthcare.gov

All the stories of it being hard to use or to costly are bunk from what I saw.

mid 40s, two people, bronze plan will cost me zero a month with 3k per person
deductible assuming i make what I estimated this year.....15k total for the two of us. I make more it will cost me a bit more. If i fall short it will cost me a ton because i would fall into the medicaid trap.......I can not get medicaid and woud have to pay 100% out of pocket for the insurance
Pays to be poor...
Old 01-03-2016, 08:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifemember View Post
Pays to be poor...

Sure does.

I do not qualify for subsidies and shopped the healthcare.gov and individual company sites. Plenty of options, but if you have to pay the full freight, are in your sixties here in SC regardless of plan ( bronze, silver, gold) you can plan on spending way over $20,000 in premiums, deductibles, or other out of pocket costs, AND have limited networks. Two people.

The only good news is that DW will be on Medicare in October which will save over $500 a month....

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:17 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
this was supposed to be a better way?????
If you are an insurance company.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:30 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I had a catastrophic type policy 2 years ago, I am willing to pay the lower premium and can afford the higher deductible, and it was costing me ~$350 per month for me and my wife. My employer did not offer healthcare so I had to make do.

Obama care comes in and my plan is discontinued so I have to go with new plan. I went through the healthcare.gov website and a silver plan cost me ~$750/month but I did qualify for subsidies, hopefully final cost will be ~450/month but won't know until taxes are done. The silver plan was only slightly better then my previous plan.

In December I didn't receive my premium notice so I call BCBS and they said it was delayed as they calculate the new rates. Well my premium went up 45%, up to $1150 a month for not so good of plan so I had to go back to a catastrophic type policy but the cost is now ~$650/month

So after only 1 year on the new AFFORDABLE Healthcare plan by insurance premium has essentially doubled.

This cannot continue, and they wonder why people don't have health insurance. Pretty darn simple to figure out, WE can't afford it. But then again, all the government officials who voted this in are covered under their own plans and I guarantee that it is a better plan and costs less.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I had a catastrophic type policy 2 years ago, I am willing to pay the lower premium and can afford the higher deductible, and it was costing me ~$350 per month for me and my wife. My employer did not offer healthcare so I had to make do.

Obama care comes in and my plan is discontinued so I have to go with new plan. I went through the healthcare.gov website and a silver plan cost me ~$750/month but I did qualify for subsidies, hopefully final cost will be ~450/month but won't know until taxes are done. The silver plan was only slightly better then my previous plan.

In December I didn't receive my premium notice so I call BCBS and they said it was delayed as they calculate the new rates. Well my premium went up 45%, up to $1150 a month for not so good of plan so I had to go back to a catastrophic type policy but the cost is now ~$650/month

So after only 1 year on the new AFFORDABLE Healthcare plan by insurance premium has essentially doubled.

This cannot continue, and they wonder why people don't have health insurance. Pretty darn simple to figure out, WE can't afford it. But then again, all the government officials who voted this in are covered under their own plans and I guarantee that it is a better plan and costs less.
Yep, it's a crime IMHO. It's almost time to vote folks. Go and let your representatives know how you feel. Unfortunately many people have given up on voting as they don't feel it does anything.
I say you need to at least try and change it.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifemember View Post
Pays to be poor...
pays to have a real low income, not poor really. Even if i was bored and cheap and wanted i can not get SNAP or food stamps or whatever it is called now because those are pretty much all means tested. I have just managed my yearly income to fall low enough to get affordable health ins. Living off mostly savings and some investments and small working income to be sure I am above the medicaid trap and low enough on the poverty scale to get a cheap bronze (catastrophic, low premiums, high deductible plan) is the trick.

No different than people on social security managing their income to maximize monthly payout.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 04:50 AM   #14

I'm with computerguy.....VOTE!!!!!
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance