Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2018, 01:07 AM   #1

High Electric Bill ???

For you Class A MH full-timers that are paying monthly for a spot with full hook ups, how much on average does your monthly electric bill run you?

I realize that the answer will depend on several factors. But, think about having appliances that run either constantly (i.e. refrigerator), or a lot (AC or heat), that seems like it would run your bill up.

I found an RV resort that charges $0.12 / kw. Don’t know if that’s about average, or not.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2018, 06:54 AM   #2

For 3 months a year (July, August and September) I stay at an RV resort in Chula Vista, CA. My A/C units (3) run quite a bit of the time, sometimes 1, 2 or all 3. I have a household refrigerator and an electric washer and an electric dryer. I have no idea how Much electricity I use but the bill is usually around $250,00 to $275.00 per month.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
For 3 months a year (July, August and September) I stay at an RV resort in Chula Vista, CA. My A/C units (3) run quite a bit of the time, sometimes 1, 2 or all 3. I have a household refrigerator and an electric washer and an electric dryer. I have no idea how Much electricity I use but the bill is usually around $250,00 to $275.00 per month.
OUCH! Our 4400 square foot stick and brick rarely runs that high!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:29 AM   #4

Our fifth wheel averages $2/day for electric use at .11ct/kw while in S. Al this last Jan using space heaters for heat.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:38 PM   #5

Hit the Rhos Yes, I agree "ouch" My wife, due to medical issues needs A/C so that's one of the reasons I have such a high electric bill. The other reason is the Power company in the San Diego area is one of the highest rates in the State.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:54 PM   #6

We have been staying in the Livingston, Texas area (about 1 hour north of Houston) this winter. We are currently at the Livingston KOA, which charges $0.14/kwh.

We have an all-electric Tiffin Phaeton coach and have been running the heat pumps at night this winter, or, if it goes below 40, the furnace with the AquaHot diesel burner going. Our monthly electric has been running from $105-$115 per month so far this winter.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:20 PM   #7

Florida in the summer a few years ago I paid $2-300/month for electric.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:35 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mid FL now about a hundred with 1 A/C or heater, dryer, dishwasher. .13/kw
In CA last winter .25/kw: cold wet and windy was $245.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:41 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
High Electric Bill ???

Moxxi , you don't say-- and your profile doesn't show-- what kind of unit you have, so it's hard to estimate a comparison.
This I can tell you: I have a 40 ft DS with two roof units and a standard complement of appliances, including washer/dryer. The roof units run fairly regularly winter and summer, less in the spring and fall. We heat to 70, and we cool to 70. In high use times we use about 1000kwh per month. In the northeastern states we've paid $0.23-$0.25/kWh. In other parts of the country we've paid $0.14-$0.16/kWh. Wherever you are, you can read the meter and do the math.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:23 AM   #10

We put our house up for sale. We are planning on (hoping to) purchase a used MH shortly after the sale, & become full-timers.

That’s why my sig doesn’t specify what rig we have.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:19 AM   #11
YC1

We can hit $300 a month on our own property in Central Florida. Rates here are as high as Calif was.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:59 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxxi View Post
I found an RV resort that charges $0.12 / kw. Don’t know if that’s about average, or not.
I've started in parks that charge $0.16/kWh. Some charge even more. I have a twenty one foot long travel trailer, and usually heat with electric if I can, and of course the AC runs off electricity.

I try to keep the trailer no colder than fifty five degrees, and around sixty five when I want it warmer. Of the temps are going to dip below freezing, I use the furnace for heat.

I try to not let it get any hotter mid-eighties, and sometimes down to about seventy eight if I'm trying to get some rest.

I've never paid more than forty five dollars for a month's worth of electricity. I've never paid more than around twelve dollars a week for propane when temps stayed around zero F.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:10 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
Hit the Rhos Yes, I agree "ouch" My wife, due to medical issues needs A/C so that's one of the reasons I have such a high electric bill. The other reason is the Power company in the San Diego area is one of the highest rates in the State.
Have you looked into renting your site week to week, where power is usually included?
Old 02-24-2018, 03:15 PM   #14

as the former Mayor in my very small home town many years ago, and sometimes dealing with folks who made 'complaints' about their electrical bill(our city had it's own power supply)... and why their 'neighbor's' bill was not nearly as much, I only had one question:

"were you the house that I drove past yesterday, during the blazing heat of the afternoon, with the front door wide open?"

the reality is that NO ONE can tell you how much your 'electricity' bill is going to be, even an 'average', as it is so totally dependent on way too many things for anyone to even guess at... except to say that it will be between $0 and $1,000 per month.

if that helps... : )
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric