Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2018, 11:23 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McMartin View Post
I won't dispute this but some folks that live full time in an RV are doing it for practical reasons. Our son and daughter in law live in a travel trailer. He's deployed right now and will separate from the Marines this winter. They've got money but finding housing in the Reno area due to Tesla's Gigafactory is next to impossible. The TT makes sense.

I'm not defending them from your opinion or others. Just pointing out it's a nuanced question without any hard and fast answers. Any determinations of what makes someone a full timer vs living in an RV full time vs homesles vs etc., etc., etc. are generalities at best. It's more like you know it when you see it.

Hi Dan-

I appreciate your distinctions and the mostly thoughtful discussion that precedes your post.

Homeless/house-less, by fate or choice or cumulative effect of bad decisions earlier in life... all are nuanced factors and tend to defy the kind of un-nuanced solutions that the public and politicians prefer.

Kind of like "why do homeless folks abound in places with good weather?" Uh... because nice weather is desirable no matter what ones financial situation is? Makes sense... and if one is faced with the choice of spending the last money to get someplace where encampment is livable vs staying where one will die or become very ill due to weather the choice seems pretty obvious.

"For every complex problem there is a solution that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H.L. Mencken
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2018, 11:53 AM   #58

Spouting the Obvious

Fun to talk and argue about such things but nothing in life is free. If you are able, you should always pay for a service you get in one way or another. Money is not the only way to pay.

This leaves room for the service provider to give service for free to those that the service provider believes are deserving of it.

I always get a bit bent out of shape using this philosophy when the service provider is the government for obvious reasons but there it is anyway...
jgiese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:09 PM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
just wondering...how do these "homeless" folks pay for insurance?
Old 09-24-2018, 01:15 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
its the attitude of the owner, and their financial situation. full time is someone who can afford campgrounds and finer amenities of life. like fuel and electricity. they have the means and desire to travel and enjoy life.
homeless is living in something that represents all you have. financial or otherwise.
i have helped some of those folks when they had problems with the coach they exist in. there is a difference between existing and living in an rv.

some times its an attitude, and not being willing to help themselves, but most are just broke. either due to poor choices, or just old age and disability.
either way, i feel the need to help if i can and dont mind helping with repairs when its evident they really need it.

when you see these old coaches in walmart, just hug your spouse, and make sure you dont fall into the same situation. we never know what tomorrow brings.
Well said my friend! A touch of CLASS!!!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:19 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
Most all of the homeless RV's I've seen belong in a junk yard. They're the reason for the 10 year limits at some RV parks, lol.
Pretty harsh.

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:30 PM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
ktn1966...just in case all you get is negative responds, I want you to know that I agree 99% with you. The only thing I would point out, which I have given a bit of thought to, is the fact that there are, in this country of plenty, people begging on the street that seem normal, young and healthy. I can't believe that a person would have esteem that low without something being mentally wrong, even if only minor.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:41 PM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
blahargoue..Glad to hear about the public land use. Now when in kalifornia I will be able to camp in the parking lot at the capital...YAY!!
Old 09-24-2018, 01:57 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak1 View Post
just wondering...how do these "homeless" folks pay for insurance?

If they're genuinely homeless, they probably don't, or they'll get insurance on the RV long enough to get their tags/plates on it and then cancel.

Daily I am grateful to not be in that kind of predicament and I try to not judge those whose ranks I could be among if I had medical problems, lost my income for more than a few months, or experienced a serious cash-draining emergency.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:57 PM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rotflmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak1 View Post
blahargoue..Glad to hear about the public land use. Now when in kalifornia I will be able to camp in the parking lot at the capital...YAY!!
I will watch for you when I go down to visit my Brother, but make sure you get rid of all your Plastic Straws if your going to park in Governor Brown's backyard...
Old 11-04-2018, 05:43 PM   #66

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Homeless RVers??

Homeless people in our country is a serious problem, that politicians don't want you to know about. It's much, much worst than the average person realizes. Calif is known for its homeless problems,. Florida also a lot of homeless people all ages. We just spent 6 months in a nice area of Sourh Wesr Florida where the wife did not feel safe to drive to the store. I wonder how many former rivers are now homeless in there RVs?? We read all the time about people selling their homes, buying big expensive rigs to live the dream. Nothing I know of depreciates in value more than an RV. My fellow rivers please make logical decisions not emotional decisions when planning your RV retirement. I know homeless people is a dark side of life, I am sure none planned to be homeless. May you have safe enjoyable travels.
DJBSDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:50 PM   #67

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Personally I think the causes of homelessness have nothing to do with finances. A huge percentage of "street people" (those without a safe place to live and the resources to obtain safe housing) are people with mental illness and/or substance abuse issues. Many have burned all bridges with family, friends and society because of irratic behavior. They need help, but are often not willing to accept it.

Even if I was to loose all financial resources, I have family and friends who would help me get back on my feet. I would have people who would help me and I would not live on the street.

The only way to reduce the homeless population is to provide more mental health and substance abuse assistance to a very challenging group of people. In other words - there is no easy answer.

I would like to see city or county owned homeless campgrounds. Places where those who now live on the streets could find a safe place to park whatever they may be living in, or be provided with a basic living unit. In this campground there would be FHU for RVs, restrooms and showers, living units made as part of job training, caseworkers with mental health and substance abuse training, security, job training, etc.

I also believe that panhandling should be illegal. Police would give violators the choice of going to the campground to receive help, going to jail, or moving elsewhere.

But that's just the way I would try to start fixing a VERY challenging problem.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:32 AM   #68

I do not understand the comment "no one plans to be homeless", I think people do plan to be homeless. The amount of resources and information that is available to people before they become homeless is at your fingertips. If you don't plan to retire with a housee or the means not be homeless then aren't you planning on being homeless?
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:05 AM   #69

I agree much of homelessness is by choice or mental illness, there are programs in place to help those with disabilities, as well as to provide various other forms of poverty assistance.

It really does not cost much to live at a subsistence level in America, if you don't mind not living in Florida or California. I live in a small city in Louisiana of about 10,000 people, where it is possible to rent a 1 bedroom house for $300 per month or less, sure it is going to be older, and in a less than great location, but they are out there. Another $150 for electricity and water, and you have the basics of shelter, this works out to about $15 per day, or about 2 hours per day at a minimum wage job.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:15 PM   #70

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I live in a small city in Louisiana of about 10,000 people, where it is possible to rent a 1 bedroom house for $300 per month or less, sure it is going to be older, and in a less than great location, but they are out there. Another $150 for electricity and water, and you have the basics of shelter, this works out to about $15 per day, or about 2 hours per day at a minimum wage job.
Cost of living is an important part of the equation, but the most important part is being able to get work. How little it costs a worker to live in A Town won't matter if they just can't find work A Town.