Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2018, 11:39 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Political and other content removed, yes, in a nutshell, this.

I'll also suggest that there are always going to be people that are taking care of sick, handicapped, and/or invalid family and/or friends, health care costs can bankrupt entire families, and having first, last months rent plus deposits, ad nauseum, can make it very difficult for many to "just do something" like move to where it's cheaper to live and/find work.

These stories are very individual.

Yep, and that's part of what makes addressing the *issue* of homelessness fail a uniform, simple solution.

And that's what the public expects - a one size fits all, simple solution. That's why we'll probably see little meaningful change in the near future.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2018, 12:45 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
For all the millennia, people have had to travel to find what they need to survive. Our amazing Native Americans would pack all they had on two wooden poles and drag their stuff to better hunting grounds, braving the elements and hostiles along the way to make a better life for themselves and their posterity. Now we sit in our air conditioned home with cable and collect welfare, while jobs go unfilled a mere six hour drive in an air conditioned car away. Travel and communication are so much easier today than at any time in the past, yet people are too afraid or lazy to go get a job. Choices; it's all about choices. We protect people from their bad choices, and punish people for their good choices.

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:32 PM   #87

Way to much truth, many people don't like the truth
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:59 AM   #88

so true; so true that's some not all; but still mostly true
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:44 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
its the attitude of the owner, and their financial situation. full time is someone who can afford campgrounds and finer amenities of life. like fuel and electricity. they have the means and desire to travel and enjoy life.
homeless is living in something that represents all you have. financial or otherwise.
i have helped some of those folks when they had problems with the coach they exist in. there is a difference between existing and living in an rv.

some times its an attitude, and not being willing to help themselves, but most are just broke. either due to poor choices, or just old age and disability.
either way, i feel the need to help if i can and dont mind helping with repairs when its evident they really need it.

when you see these old coaches in walmart, just hug your spouse, and make sure you dont fall into the same situation. we never know what tomorrow brings.

How very kind you are [emoji1422]....I’m 62, choosing to go full time. Stay put a week or month then travel and stay again. If I should even get to a point where I can’t travel I’ll fine a place to park her and just live. I choose independence as opposed to living living with a roommate or my son...my income is barely enough to get by full time. But I think I’m making the best choice I can. Have rig, have tow car, have a small income and time in life left to see some cool stuff and meet some cool folks. [emoji176][emoji1422]
GypsyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:08 PM   #90

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Gypsy Carol,

Many times the largest expense of Full time RVing is campground fees. I avoid campgrounds whenever possible. I spend summers parked at my daughter's house near Seattle and winters boondocking in the desert.

I invested in solar panels and have changed my lifestyle from using 120 volt AC power to 12 volt DC power. I only use a 150 volt inverter to recharge my cordless drill and run the generator only for a few minutes to power the microwave.

If you prefer campgrounds you'll get the best price if you stay a month at each one to get their best rates.

I am on a limited budget and have been fulltime for 7.5 years. It is doable. It just takes planning and a little discipline.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:14 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Gypsy Carol,

Many times the largest expense of Full time RVing is campground fees. I avoid campgrounds whenever possible. I spend summers parked at my daughter's house near Seattle and winters boondocking in the desert.

I invested in solar panels and have changed my lifestyle from using 120 volt AC power to 12 volt DC power. I only use a 150 volt inverter to recharge my cordless drill and run the generator only for a few minutes to power the microwave.

If you prefer campgrounds you'll get the best price if you stay a month at each one to get their best rates.

I am on a limited budget and have been fulltime for 7.5 years. It is doable. It just takes planning and a little discipline.

Thank you and I’m getting solar installed in the next month. Selling my dad’s place (he passed on Nov this past year) gives me a tiny bit to upgrade. Son is mechanic so that helps. Been studying and prepping for close to 2 years. Saw this coming, got my rig about a year ago, did remodeling myself have excellent local mechanic who did some upgrades work and whole new braking system that was a must.
I’m headed to the RTR and thanks to Bob Wells and a few others feel like I can do this! Have taken some 2 week trips already and feels good. Will be following your lead with the boondocking when possible and driveway camping too. [emoji1422]
Old 01-09-2019, 07:25 PM   #92

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm parked in La Posa South not far from where the RTR is being held. Have fun! If you need any advice or help, just holler - or PM me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-09-2019, 10:51 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I'm parked in La Posa South not far from where the RTR is being held. Have fun! If you need any advice or help, just holler - or PM me.

Thank you! I will [emoji1422]peace
Old 01-10-2019, 06:37 AM   #94

Living in an RV is not ideal after living in a brick and motor all your live-----BUT MUCH BETTER THAN A TENT OR A PARK BENCH ON THE STREET
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:18 AM   #95

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
[QUOTE=melvonnar;4582192]Living in an RV is not ideal after living in a brick and motor all your live---- /QUOTE]

That may be true for you, but not everyone. Growing up we moved every 3-4 years because of Dad's job with Gulf Oil. I continued to move frequently after I left home.

I have lived in this 24’ motorhome for 7.5 years. That's longer than I ever lived in any brick and mortar house or apartment. Some of us have wanderlust and enjoy being able to sleep in our own bed every night, even if that bed is in a different place today.

I have modified my RV to suit my needs and likes without having to get HOA approval. I don’t miss mowing grass, shoveling snow, paying a mortgage and property taxes. If lousy neighbors move in next door I can go elsewhere.

For me, living in my RV is a choice, not a short step away from homelessness. This is MY home and I enjoy all the views out my living room windows. Can you say the same?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-10-2019, 09:13 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktn1966 View Post
I do not understand the comment "no one plans to be homeless", I think people do plan to be homeless. The amount of resources and information that is available to people before they become homeless is at your fingertips. If you don't plan to retire with a housee or the means not be homeless then aren't you planning on being homeless?

Yes , but sometimes stuff happens that you can’t do anything about .
I can’t tell you how many times I heard the words “they should have planned better” when the topic of people losing they’re homes , bankruptcies etc during the recession. When you unexpectedly loose your job , your insurance , your savings , your 401k shrinks , sometimes all the planning in the world won’t help . It’s hard to understand if you don’t live it .
I agree , I really like living in our RV .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:41 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
Living in an RV is not ideal after living in a brick and motor all your live-----BUT MUCH BETTER THAN A TENT OR A PARK BENCH ON THE STREET
Disagree totally.
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:47 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
Living in a RV beats living in a house!!! For us, anyway.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote