Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2019, 04:55 AM   #1

Grand Design Owners Club
How did you sell everything to go full-time?

My wife and I are researching what it takes to go full-time. One question I have is how to sell everything. Our community does not allow garage sales, so everything would have to be sold online or sell the house furnished. What ways did you sell your belongings and what worked best for you?

thank
DMacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2019, 05:06 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
We used a phone app called "Let Go". You take a picture and post it.
Sold many of our items this way.

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:09 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
sold the furniture with the house, let friends take what they wanted, had a yard sale, used craigslist and what did not sell went goodwill
Old 11-14-2019, 05:19 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Perhaps an "estate" sale would be allowed?
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:42 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We took everything out of the house that we wanted - then had an estate sale company come in. We also could not have garage or yard sales. They opened the house for buyers to come inside. In two days they sold everything possible - on the third day they emptied the house of all remaining items.

We weren't even there - which significantly reduced the emotional quotient and stress.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:59 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
We had some friends buy a Tiffin, sell their house, then they opened the house in an estate sale and sold the contents. They were already on the road.
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:39 AM   #7

We had the best luck with Facebook Market. Then offerup app, Craigslist and Goodwill. Lots to Goodwill. It’s incredible how much stuff you can have in your house and garage and it takes a while to divest yourself. The estate sale idea is the most appealing, I wish we had done that.
nancybninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:43 AM   #8

look into an auction make sure they have online bidding, i have seen junk get money.
here is one from close to me going on now to give you an idea what stuff sells for and the real bidding doesn't start til 5 minutes before closing.

Fred Peters Auctioneers, LLC
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:05 AM   #9

craigslist, and ebay for smaller items. Plan to start selling stuff when I have about 2.5 years before leaving. So 2 more years.
Pyropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:16 AM   #10

I was in a rather unique position. My house was in a flood zone and had 3 flood claims in its history. As it turns out, FEMA doesn't like paying more than the house is worth in flood claims. The local police jury called me and offered to buy the house for the current market value to get FEMA out of paying more flood claims. I went through the process of getting the house appraised and sold the house to them. Then they demolished it and just let the grass grow.

The contents of the house that I wanted to keep were moved into my RV. The couches and tables and other items were already paid for by FEMA in a previous flood claim, but I still gave them to friends and family members that wanted them. I did end up leaving some things in the house, but nothing with any real value.

I guess you could say I sold the house and contents to FEMA.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:23 AM   #11

We told family..name it/get it/deal with it ASAP

Living 8 miles outside of town ---1 mile if dirt road to house we KNEW yard sales was NOT the way to go
Contacted an Estate Auction Company. They advertised for 2 weeks prior to Estate Sale. Came out 3 days prior to Estate Sale and boxed EVERYTHING up into 'Lots'
Day of Auction they anounced everything goes TODAY.
8am preview.auction 9-5
We sat there drinking Ice Tea and watching with glee.
Some items went lower then we thought...some items went for WAY morre then they should have. Majority of items went as expected.
End of the day......EVERYTHING was sold including all furniture. House/garage were empty/DONE
They had computer print out of all items and pricing......they kept 25% (advertising/prep/sale), Cut us check for our 75%

We did NOTHING and it was all done/over with and we had $$$$ in our pocket which we set aside for 'Emergency Fund'

We moved into the 5th wheel that evening....had already outfitted it with our -on the road- stuff.
Lived in 5th wheel next to house until close of escrow ....45 days---couple that came to auction made offer/bought the house.

Easiest MOVE we ever did and actually quite FUN
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:29 AM   #12

We got lucky. Sold the house furnished. Everything from appliances to art on the wall to the sheets and blankets. Put some small personal items in a 5’x5’ storage unit. When we decide to settle down and buy a home it will be a smaller one and we’ll replace whatever we need. That part not even on our radar yet. We’re enjoying the lifestyle.
wjohnson913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:44 AM   #13

Foretravel Owners Club
For us, We had several Yard/garage sales, Our Neighbors had first pick.
Then used FB-Market Place for the big stuff & the boat,wife's car and my f-250..
Everything that was left over was donated to Salvation Army, Teen Challenge and ARC.

Took 3 months.
I DID NOT realize just how much schifft we had accumulated in 40+ years...
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:32 AM   #14

From the time we decided to go fulltime until the time we left for good we had sold everything within 3m.

Big items advertised individually in the local paper.

Asked kids to take what they wanted... wasn't much... they had their own stuff

Asked friends if they wanted anything

Garage sale (too bad you're not allowed to have one - would they allow an estate sale?)

Donate to Goodwill

The rest went to the town dump.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sell