Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2014, 04:06 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
I’ve heard from several sources (but have not yet confirmed myself) that due to Homeland Security pressure or regulations, that it’s harder now than it used to be to get the DMV to accept an address for a drivers license other than the one at which you actually hang your hat.
That is about what Monroe county tax collectors office told us when we looked into Florida drivers licenses. Your address is where you sleep. Not an easy thing to describe if you are full timers. You can have a different mailing address though. We do have receipts for 5+ months at a CG but I'm not sure if that would work. I don't see how it is much different than renting an apartment or condo. If we were homeless the address of the shelter we would go to is OK. Go figure.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2014, 05:41 AM   #16
paz

Quote:
...Now, if only Florida’s sales tax was as low as South Dakota’s, it’d be a total no-brainer, especially since I’m about to drop a boatload of cash on a truck and trailer. I want to buy the vehicles months before I even put the house on the market...
If you're going to buy your 5th wheel and truck months before you sell the house, you may run into difficulty obtaining insurance if you try to register the vehicles in another state. If someone does write you a policy for another state, you may have difficulty collecting on a claim should any damage to those vehicles occur while you still live in Florida. Registering your vehicles in another state may also raise the ire of Florida tax officials.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:12 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

Now, if only Florida’s sales tax was as low as South Dakota’s, it’d be a total no-brainer, especially since I’m about to drop a boatload of cash on a truck and trailer. I want to buy the vehicles months before I even put the house on the market so I’m not under any pressure to move out before I’ve had a chance to shake the bugs out of the 5th wheel while still being relatively close to the RV dealership that sold the unit. Consequently, I’ll most likely pay nearly double the sales tax here in the sunshine state than I would in the shadow of Mt. Rushmore.

Transitioning from S&B to life on the road is a journey in itself, and we’ve only just begun. But thanks to all the contributors on this and other forums, at least I know we’re pointed in the right direction.
I thought we could register the RV in another state while still a resident of Florida? That way we can save on the state sales tax and then re-register back to Florida? Is that illegal?
FRasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:46 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If Florida is like most other states, when you go to register the vehicle there they will charge you the difference between Florida sales tax and what you already paid in the other state.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:14 PM   #19

Twice I have been called for (via US mail) jury duty at our Livingston, TX Escapees domicile address. Neither one got to me in time; mailed with in 2 weeks of show up date.

Twice I called in and the Polk county officials understood and just said thank you for calling and to let them know when we were back and could serve.

It is good that they are familiar with the thousand of Livingstonians that are never there.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeffrey View Post
Neither one got to me in time; mailed with in 2 weeks of show up date.
No issue with mail forwarding service, we just don't get our mail forwarded very often as almost everything is online now.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:27 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
John & Kelly…..There’s no place you have to go to make a formal declaration, no official form to fill out. It all boils down to your intent.

I read an article a while back- that I can no longer find- wherein an attorney expert in this sort of question went over several details. The first point is to distinguish between domicile and residence. Your residence is where you live- fixed or mobile. Your domicile is that place you are attached to, strongly or tenuously, for all the many or few arrangements in our lives that require us to be connected in a (hopefully) organized society- legal, financial, political, medical, etc. Not all are required for everyone, but if you choose to have financial arrangements, for example, you must be connected somewhere. If you choose to vote, you must be connected.

Essentially, the point is that you (and a million others) are floating around in an RV, living nowhere for very long at one stretch, but claiming that you are domiciled in South Dakota (we’ll say). If any agency or business should ever question the legitimacy of your statement, what the argument would come down to in law would be your perceived intent.

You say you are a South Dakotan, and you enjoy certain benefits accruing from this status. But the State of New York, the last place you owned a house, claims otherwise, and wants some of your money. What you need to show in such a case is that when you are finished with all this silly travelling around from place to place, which does not have to happen on anyone’s schedule but your own, and you decide to stop and plant your feet somewhere, your clear and unmistakable intent is to return to South Dakota and take up residency there. You show this intent by registering to vote in South Dakota, by receiving your mail in South Dakota, by registering your vehicles there, by paying taxes (if any apply) there, by establishing banking and/or legal relationships there, perhaps by owning property there, etc., etc.

In other words, you establish a web of connections between you and this place called South Dakota. These are the things that people in an organized society do when they consider a place “home”,and these are the things- some, not necessarily all- that will demonstrate your intent to be a South Dakotan.

Where some people can and do sometimes fall afoul is when they claim a SD domicile, but continue to bank in New York, own a house in Florida and a cabin in Michigan, have their coach registered in Montana, and receive their mail at an address in Connecticut. This is not necessarily a show-stopper, but you can see where it might appear to be a problem.

So, as in 99.9% of cases, just set up a mail forwarder, then use that address to register to vote, register your vehicles, set your driver license, open a checking account, and whatever else you need to do, and you’ll be good to go. You don’t need any Government permission to relocate, but in some cases you do have to inform them.

Good Luck, and enjoy!
Well said!!!! Thank you for the post.

-paul
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:46 AM   #22

Domicile

Late, but here's two cents more:

American Home Base is a good mail forwarder in Pensacola, FL.

Due to the "Terrorist Act", a couple of years ago my bank locked all my accounts because I had a mail forwarding address. They said it was not acceptable to the gov't because so many persons had it. I had to use a relatives address. Since then, they don't seem to care and have told me they no longer have that relatives address in file. (?) No matter, I'm not hiding anything--just full-timing. But, it's something to keep in mind.

Also, it seems reasonable to be able to go to "your state" at times to keep insurance, banks, and others happy with you. So, we chose a state we travel in often.
otter is offline   Reply With Quote