RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:14 AM   #1

How Far South/West Do You Go.......

.......before you don't have to winterize?

As you full timers know, winters in the Northland can be brutally cold and the cold can potentially cause damage. It's already started here in Iowa. We are anticipating joining the RV Lifestyle as full timers in a year or so. We are trying to find what the practical distance limit is to head South and/or West during the winter.

How far do we have to go before we will not have to go through the process of winterizing our MH during the cold months? Southern Colorado? West Texas?

Any suggestions for reasonably priced long term places to spend the winter as full timers?

Lindan n Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2017, 08:27 AM   #2

I think the answer is s Florida, Lower Rio Grande Valley, southern Arizona Desert or parts of southern Calofornia which is not mentioned much probably because of cost and availability. Most of the country gets some snow or some cold snaps. That is for storage. If you are living in the unit you can move into the occasional cold snap areas and manage with a little care.

nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:09 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Figure I-10 and south as your target for the winter. That said, we have been in 17 in Arizona (not usual) but since we were living in the RV, the only thing we needed to learn was that water hoses laying on the ground will freeze and you stay in bed until the sun does its work. When you live fulltime in the rig, if freezing temperatures in the forecast, we just unhook the hoses, make sure the fresh water tank is full, and run off the pump for water. Dump during the day when it is above freezing. We have a furnace outlet in the basement, so the coach stays warm. Others often drop work lights into their utilities bay(s) if they need some extra protection.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 12:55 PM   #4

If you're thinking of staying for the winter in southern Colorado or West Texas in the winter without proceeding farther south you are going to be in cold, windy temps. Your destination should be definitely south of I-10 in Texas and eastward; I-10 north to the greater Phoenix area in Arizona and I-8/I-10 in California for easily doable temperatures where you'd be comfortable. We tried New Mexico one winter and didn't last the winter. Even around I-10 New Mexico was too cold and windy for us. We've also tried the other states eastward but found our favorite to be around Tucson and up to the greater Phoenix area, AZ. We also like the deserts of southern California. South Texas was too crowded and windy for us and Florida was too crowded and buggy for us. Gulf Shores, Alabama we enjoyed for the town, beach and the state park but Dec/Jan can be cold and damp - not necessarily freezing but it's a cold that goes right through you. Good luck finding your favorite. Everyone is different.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 01:10 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I found some BLM land to stay on near Tucson AZ. The cost to stay on the BLM land was $0, but Tucson isn't an inexpensive place to live, and the BLM land was a few miles away from everything. They either get you coming or going. The spot I stayed at wasn't what I would call crowded, but I definitely had neighbors nearby. Sewage dumps were a few miles away, and water had to be hauled in or refilled when I went to dump. Overall, it was a great place to stay, mainly due to the base price of $0.

Lots of folks stay near Yuma, but I hated the wind through the big LTA there.

Some folks go down to Mexico. There are people on this website that go to the Yucatan Peninsula for winter.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:27 PM   #6

Food for thought:

A few years back we were spending late March in Flagstaff, AZ. After about a week there, the forecast called for some light snow for the next few days. I told my wife that we should do some shopping now, as we might not be able to get around on snowy roads. She replied " Dummy - we are in an RV. Let's head 2 hours south (and 5500 feet lower altitude) to the Phoenix area".

We did, and were very happy for the warmer weather.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 01:41 PM   #7

I-40 between Flagstaff and Albuquerque was completely closed on us the last week of April. We sat on the highway with other travelers and semi trucks overnight until the snowplows could get it cleared.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:03 PM   #8

I go far enough south to stay in shorts and flip flops. Typically go to SPI, TX. In the RGV. KOA on the island. North to use the AC'S minimally in the summer. Doesn't always work but we try.
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:19 AM   #9

Works for us:
December > March; Florida
April > South Carolina
May > North Carolina
June > September; NY 1000 Islands
October > November; North Carolina
December > back to Florida
After all like (Mrs) Bluepill said; "Dummy - we are in an RV. Let's head 2 hours south"
8824rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:24 AM   #10
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have spent 1 winter near Houston, 2 near Tampa, 1 in an RV garage in Southern Washington State for knee replacement surgery and this will be our 3rd in southern AZ. While the weather in FL and TX was nice, I didn’t enjoy the fire ants, mosquitos or constant mildew.

This year we're prepared to deal with the wind on the BLM land near Quartzsite with a portable wind screen and awning tie down. We also run a humidifier inside.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:36 AM   #11

So to summarize what you have already read, you have to decide whether you really want to be protected from freezing temps or just far enough south/west to be able to accomodate cold snaps. If you really want to be free of below freezing and snow there are only a few places to consider and they are far south or southwest. Either is doable.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:50 PM   #12

We leave north Texas first of December and spend December at Benson (3500') and it will freeze a little some nights. January head to Quartzsite as it's lower/warmer. Then part of February along the Colorado river and part down in Yuma. By March-April we will be migrating to northern AZ and southern Utah. Following good temps works for us.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
So to summarize what you have already read, you have to decide whether you really want to be protected from freezing temps or just far enough south/west to be able to accomodate cold snaps. If you really want to be free of below freezing and snow there are only a few places to consider and they are far south or southwest. Either is doable.
And all of them have their problems including crowded peak seasons so it pays to do some homework if you are heading to them.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:19 PM   #14

You need to know your RV. Some are more insulated than other. If you are living FT in your RV you would not need to winterize. You need to use the toilet and water, no?
So there is no blanket answer. Depends on your RV and how you live.
Also, freezing temps at night are not always a problem. It is certainly not a problem for my RV. Now, if it were 0F at night and only a high of 32F during the day that is when it starts to get concerning.
Before FTing I lived in Vegas and had a motorhome to use on weekends and vacation. I never winterized it, heated it in the winter, or left it plugged in. It never froze or created problems. It would easily be in the 20s at night there.

computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote