Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2008, 10:41 AM   #1

My wife and I are going fulltime after the house sells. We are wondering how the high cost of fuel is affecting everyone. We are planning to travel alot the first year to try and identify the areas we want to spend the summer or winter in. The second year we plan to be stationary for 3 to 4 months at a time. Are any of you in the travel mode right now? Have the high fuel prices forced you to alter your travel plans? Any information and discussion would be most helpful. Jim and Trish in Panama City Beach, FL.
Jim Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2008, 10:41 AM   #2

My wife and I are going fulltime after the house sells. We are wondering how the high cost of fuel is affecting everyone. We are planning to travel alot the first year to try and identify the areas we want to spend the summer or winter in. The second year we plan to be stationary for 3 to 4 months at a time. Are any of you in the travel mode right now? Have the high fuel prices forced you to alter your travel plans? Any information and discussion would be most helpful. Jim and Trish in Panama City Beach, FL.
Jim Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:16 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Jim and Trish, welcome to iRV2.

None of us like the higher fuel prices, but everyone's reaction is different.

I'm planning my trips more carefully, but it all depends on one's disposable income.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:27 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Jim Chandler...
Welcome to iRV2! may I suggest you head up to the New Member Check-In and introduce yourselves also?

This is a very friendly forum with lots of information and knowledgable RV owners willling to help!
I have heard how people plan to stay longer in one spot...

Again...welcome to iRV2!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:44 AM   #5

The easiest and most practical way to reduce fuel costs is to simply slow down when traveling. Keep engine air filters changed, and drive like you have a rotten egg between your foot and go pedal. Anticipate approaching stops and slower traffic. Allow momentum and gravity to work for you when possible.
We make a general plan of attack for extended trips to reduce redundant traveling. Other than that we travel as usual.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:43 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Have the high fuel prices forced you to alter your travel plans? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Welcome to the forum, Jim & Trish!!

The only way we have altered our plans at this point is to keep the speed down to apx 62-63 mph. I also am sensitive to not going out of my way ...the shortest way is the best way unless the roads are not adequate for our rig. I generally figure it will cost me almost 50 cents per mile just for fuel...
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:51 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Although my wife and I are both westerners we lived in NH when I retired and we have kids there.
We have been in the habit of spending the winter in the southwest and going back to NH for the summers.
Now we are volunteering as camp hosts at a state park in ID some summers and only going back to NH every two years or so. That saves us close to $5000 in gas and campground fees each year we don't go back.

When we do go back next time we will only stay a couple of months instead of five to avoid the $2500 seasonal campground fees.
We can volunteer for half the summer that way.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:36 PM   #8

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have chose to do voluteer workamping cuz of the high cost of fuel and that helps us to stay in a location longer.
MtManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:10 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As full-timers, we've learned long ago not to drive around like tourists. As a result, we frequently stay in one area for several weeks. The only time the gas prices really hurt is when we have to be somewhere far away in a short period of time. For example, last year, we had to drive 3500 miles in a couple of weeks. We spent more than $1500 on gas alone during that trip. Ouch!

Jack
Old 04-12-2008, 03:55 AM   #10
paz

As others have said, drive a little slower, plan your trips better to not go too far out of your way, make sure air filters are clean and your engine is tuned up, and make sure the tires have the proper air pressure. But, as has also been said, the easiest way to reduce your fuel costs is to stay put longer.

We traveled a lot our first year of full-timing rarely staying longer than a week in any one location. Experienced full-timers always say to slow down, but we couldn't help ourselves - there was so much to do and see all across the country. We knew we were acting like tourists, but we didn't care. We wanted to see it all NOW.

But the advice to stay put a little longer can't be emphasized enough in this time of high fuel prices. Not only do you save fuel, you can frequently get weekly and monthly rates on your campground fees. Best of all, you really get to know the area where you are staying.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:45 AM   #11

My wife & I just reserved a space yesterday at the Rainbow Lake RV Resort in Ruidoso, NM. I teach school & have the summer off. We'll take the MH to Ruidoso 1st of June & bring it home the last of July. Approx. 200 miles each way. 400 miles at 7 mpg. We'll use the toad approx. 1000-1500 miles at 31.4 mpg for day trips, etc. to Lincoln, Cloudcroft, White Sands, Carlsbad Caverns, & the Radio Wave Observatory near Socorro. Lots to do in & around Ruidoso. Will save lots on gasoline & parking as we are getting a 2 month package price at the RV Resort. Need lots of creativity due to high gasoline prices.
Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote