RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-24-2017, 03:10 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Thanks. I have been using Quicken since the 90s so never even look at the reviews. I'll need to check out the alternatives since I am a very basic user.
If you just use it for basic then no need to change to another system. Continue using it.... unless you connect to banks then your time of use would be limited.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2017, 12:41 AM   #30

We use YNAB (You Need A Budget) on our MacBook, iPad, and iPhones. Easy to use, anywhere, anytime.

Btipton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:20 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
How many FT'ers "use budgeting tools"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
My bet is with all the ads Mint makes intuit money .. Quicken was sold and the new company must be trying a different model to make a profit. My quess is to many people bought once and never upgraded

Thatís exactly the issue and it applies to a lot of players in the software industry. The fact is that a lot of software is good enough to get the job done in their early or older versions. Users recognize this and resist shelling out fresh coin for newer versions which often have new features that are form over substance.

There is often a learning curve to new versions as well and humans naturally have an aversion to change.

So to keep the revenue flowing, a growing segment of the industry is moving to one of two models - software as a service where you have to make a periodic payment to keep it working or cloud computing where you donít even have the software, itís on a server somewhere and you again make a periodic payment to use it.

Most of the so called free apps get their revenue from in-app purchases (add onís) or internal advertising.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:37 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaton View Post
Thatís exactly the issue and it applies to a lot of players in the software industry. The fact is that a lot of software is good enough to get the job done in their early or older versions. Users recognize this and resist shelling out fresh coin for newer versions which often have new features that are form over substance.

There is often a learning curve to new versions as well and humans naturally have an aversion to change.

So to keep the revenue flowing, a growing segment of the industry is moving to one of two models - software as a service where you have to make a periodic payment to keep it working or cloud computing where you donít even have the software, itís on a server somewhere and you again make a periodic payment to use it.

Most of the so called free apps get their revenue from in-app purchases (add onís) or internal advertising.

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:39 AM   #33

We are debt free and retired. Everything is direct deposit/debt. We use credit cards for almost everything and carry $0 balance. Charitable contributions are via QCD. I have been running a Excel spreadsheet for years.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:06 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btipton View Post
We use YNAB (You Need A Budget) on our MacBook, iPad, and iPhones. Easy to use, anywhere, anytime.
We also use YNAB (windows desktop) although it's an old version because we don't like monthly or yearly subscriptions so it's not being updated. That's why we stopped using Quicken when they started forcing you to upgrade. But we're happier with the "bucket" or envelope approach like YNAB over the budgeting approach of Quicken. But the version of YNAB I have isn't robust with investments. I mainly track them quarterly in YNAB with an entry for interest/ dividends vs. market gains/losses. Works for me.
lnanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:16 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
We use Excel, and a simple pivot table to summarize by category/month. Our bank offers CSV download, so we just grab transactions that way and drop them in. Super simple.

Though we're neither retired nor FT'ers, but I'd imagine we'd use the same system if we ever are.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:38 PM   #36

We have excel spread sheets for expenses. Separate one for fuel and mileage to keep an eye on how we are doing. We have all our bills auto pay so we don,t have to worry about missing a payment. Can always check the bank accounts online for verification.
fulltime rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:33 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
No particular budgeting plan. Just spend less than we have in income from investments. Not yet drawing social security.

Biggest thing that eases retirement money concerns is to have zero debt. No house payment, no RV payment - no debt.

Did sit down prior to retirement and penciled up all fixed expenses - added for variable expenses, etc. Expolated for the future (three stages of retirement - go go years, intermediate when not going but health still ok, possible long term health care needs or facility).
This. We used a steno pad to log all of our expenses for a few years and transferred those to a spreadsheet, but once we saw that we are living within our means, we don't anymore. Debt free and our retirement portfolio is going up, not down.
I'm thinking we need to splurge a little more.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:47 PM   #38

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well I have two budgets. Finincial and bandwidth
Financial I use the computer but the method is "Pencil and paper" In that I total the outstanding billsk check the balance and decide how much discressionary money I have to spread about on extras.

Bandwidth.. I'm running out of and thus may have to cut something.

Folks,. these forums are #1 on the list of things to skip so if I vanish you know why not enough bandwidth,
Old 12-30-2017, 05:07 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Excel spreadsheets and online banking.

Airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:48 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
Just a quick question... Do you actively "use" any type of Budgeting Tools for your Full Time RV'ing Lifestyle? "If" you do, do you use a paper and pencil method OR some kind of Computer program?

My wife and I are nearing retirement and want to have a good start from a budget standpoint...open to any suggestions. Thank you...
If you are used to using excel or other software, stick with that. Online tools are easiest when you are using a debit or credit card for most purchases as the software will see your bank debits/credits and automatically categorize purchases into budget categories i.e. groceries. Cash purchases, you'd have to keep receipt, enter individually. I use https://www.mint.com/. It's free. It will take some time to load your bank information but after a few months, with a few corrections, it will tell you how much you spend on groceries/gas/restaurant etc...as Mint recognizes most grocery/gas/restaurant etc.. names.

mrome54369 is offline   Reply With Quote