Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2017, 01:27 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
There is a Mobil App that you can download to help you track stuff on the fly. It feeds to the main program on your computer. With this feature, you can pretty much forget about the paper and pencil and just do it “once and well”.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2017, 09:31 PM   #16

I also like Quicken... have used it for over 30 years! It's a easy way to reconcile your statements, too.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:40 AM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
We put together some thoughts on budgeting for fulltimers on our website: http://www.barbanddave.net/Site/Budg...derations.html
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaton View Post
No monthly fee.

They come out with a new version every year. Actually several new versions, since there are various levels of the software. Most folks can use the basic level which typically goes for about $30 - $40.

If you have lots of investments to track, you can step up to a more capable version for a few bucks more. The top tier level is about $70 and lets you track rental income and stuff like that.

They support old versions for several years after they are released. I update every 3 or 4 years. It doesn’t change that much. Not like Turbo Tax where you have to buy the new version every year thanks to the government changing the details.
Use Quicken too since 1990. Above statement is no longer correct. This year they are changing their software model. You will need to purchase every year going forward or it no longer works. Losing me as a customer once my 2017 sunsets in a few years.
Old 12-24-2017, 05:16 AM   #19
RV LIFE Support Team

Computerguy

Where did you read that you needed to update Quicken every year in the future? I just use it until it no longer works. What else re you going to use? I am not aware of other software but I haven't really looked...............

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 05:20 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Computerguy

Where did you read that you needed to update Quicken every year in the future? I just use it until it no longer works. What else re you going to use? I am not aware of other software but I haven't really looked...............
Read any of the review sites. Here is one:
https://investorjunkie.com/45433/quicken-2018-review/
computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 05:34 AM   #21
RV LIFE Support Team

Thanks. I have been using Quicken since the 90s so never even look at the reviews. I'll need to check out the alternatives since I am a very basic user.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 12-24-2017, 06:27 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Assuming this is correct, I’m not surprised. The whole software industry has been on a slow march away from straight-up licensing and toward a subscription model for years.

I’m sure the math makes sense for the vendor. As users, we need to suck it up or search for a different, usually less capable, alternative.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 06:30 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Twinsburg OH - Franklin MA - New Milford CT - Bay Shore NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Excel spreadsheet. Combines monthly, yearly, bank acc'ts. Kept me out of trouble for 15 years, with reminders. Very flexible. Have over 200 sheets, like could I justify buying a large DP? YES! Retirement budget. Was able to retire at 55 with help of spreadsheets.

Excel is the way to go if you know how to use. I also created my Excel budget tracking tool. Every week I download banking data and import data using macros. Other macros to automatically categorize items. Also with reminders and lets me know what bills are coming up and what are going out. This is important at end of month before retirement paychecks arrive to verify you have funds. However the greatest tool is using you banks electronic free checking/bill pay banking! No checks, no stamps, no hassle. I’ve tried Quicken, don’t like annual fee, and I’ve customized my excel solution to my needs. I’ve done this for the last 3 years and can track every category for any period.
mikeannetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 06:38 AM   #24
RV LIFE Support Team

I use Quicken as a budget(ha!) tool. Keep track of where the money is going. Everything is auto deducted so I really don't need any bells and whistles. I like Quicken because it is not web or cloud based. I like to not be dependent on the internet since I don't have access 25% of the time.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 12-24-2017, 07:08 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
How many FT'ers "use budgeting tools"?

Quicken will only work about 2years before banks will no longer download to it and force a upgrade I was told this is the last year for 2016 to work with banks . Of course it will still work as a manual entry program. The new upgrade is a one year program you will need to update regularly and pay$ the new model for all these programs is to force you to pay yearly.
I use quicken but am preparing to drop it because of this.It just kept account balances for me and mint will do the same thing for “free” with just the annoying credit card offers but we have 24/7 cellular internet. Those using Quicken need to study up on the changes to Quicken this year and be aware
We use a excel budget program as our main tool that I update all expenditures / income into on a semi daily basis . ( I’m retired , what else am I going to do?) [emoji6]I keep all expenses on my phones notes program then transfer to excel regularly , even the occasional McDonald’s coke . We created a budget in excel and it tracks plus or minus on a monthly basis. The first two years have been a large minus. It’s taken us awhile to realize how expensive this lifestyle is and budget realistic numbers Unless of course you stay longer term and stay home a lot . That’s not us.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:20 AM   #26
RV LIFE Support Team

One thing that confuses me is Intuit sold Quicken but still owns Mint. Seems strange.................

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 12-24-2017, 07:27 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
My bet is with all the ads Mint makes intuit money .. Quicken was sold and the new company must be trying a different model to make a profit. My quess is to many people bought once and never upgraded
Old 12-24-2017, 08:13 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No particular budgeting plan. Just spend less than we have in income from investments. Not yet drawing social security.

Biggest thing that eases retirement money concerns is to have zero debt. No house payment, no RV payment - no debt.

Did sit down prior to retirement and penciled up all fixed expenses - added for variable expenses, etc. Expolated for the future (three stages of retirement - go go years, intermediate when not going but health still ok, possible long term health care needs or facility).
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote