Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2018, 07:45 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
What do you mean don't have a home? We have a home. I rest my head on my pillow in my bedroom, take a shower in my shower, fixed meals in my kitchen, watch TV in my living room, and then move our home on down the road.

Did you perhaps mean HOUSE? Never, ever, would I want to clean 3500 sq ft of house again. Don't miss the expenses, taxes, etc.

Barb
I think most people knew what i meant
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2018, 07:57 AM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Add us to the list, houseless for about 4 years now. Don't miss it a bit. Will never own one again..
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:25 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
I am on the verge of retiring this year. We have lived on 18 ac with no neighbors in site for the last 25 years.We built everything from the ground up and poured a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into it.We have a deck that looks out over the property where we enjoy sitting and watching the deer, birds, and a lot of other wildlife. We are in the process of doing a subdivision for about 2/3 of our property and retain the house and about 6-8 ac. I have been hearing about the people who say they have no regrets about selling all out. We are going to give the full time RV thing a shot for about 6 months before we decide whether or not to sell all. I can see where someone that lives in the city and has a house in a subdivision with neighbors close by might not have the same emotional attachment that we have with our privacy. I have a shop and about every tool that you can imagine. I have a commercial ZTR mower and spend a lot of time on it to keep everything looking nice. I have a tractor with a front end loader to maintain my driveways and property. I am having great difficulty with the thought of giving everything up. Maybe 6 months on the road will change my mind. I have never in my life had the luxury of not having to be somewhere at a certain time.

I can relate to your situation, I have almost the same situation. I only have 3.3 acres but I built everything from the ground up. I have a Kubota diesel tractor with a front end loader, mid mount mower and rototiller, and a zero turn mower as well. Almost every tool under the sun as well.
We spent last winter in Florida, we had the time of our lives. Didn’t miss anything back home. I’m in the process of finishing the house so we can sell it. I never thought I would ever sell it as it is the perfect house and it’s been my baby but it is a lot of yard work and I would rather be traveling and seeing new things. I don’t want to spend my remaining years doing yard work and looking at the same things day in and day out. It’s time for a change. Hopefully should be out of here by early summer.
All our kids are finally out of the house and we have helped them out a lot over the years. It’s now time for us. I have a license plate on the front of my motorhome that says “We are spending our children’s inheritance”, and you know what, we are!
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:18 AM   #32

I was living in a place I didn't want to be to help family, could not see myself being there for the rest of my life. The place was in a prime summer recreation area that got too busy during the summer and rained way to much (Oregon Coast) the rest of the year. The years I lived there I would load up the trailer and leave for a month at a time just to get away. Always regretted having to head the truck and trailer back home, because home ownership come with responsibilities.

Glad I cut my loss, went full time, and am so much more happier than I ever was sitting in a house watching it rain. It has been terrible this winter listening to my family gripe about the weather as I sit here in the sun at Quartzsite planning my trip to New Orleans. [emoji16]🤣
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:25 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pops2 View Post
4 yr no house, no taxes, no lawn to mow, no weed to pull

so far so good

Sheesh that sounds SO NICE.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:57 AM   #34

We knew we wanted to travel after DW retires. (39 weeks) A year ago we were forced to sell our house due to a turnpike going through the living room. DW suggested we get an RV and not buy another house. It is a relief to sell all your stuff. It gets to the point that your stuff owns you and you don't realize it. I too got rid of a nice shop with tools and equipment. We have decided if we can't take it with us, we don't need it. The RV has been keeping me busy working all the bugs out but we have no regrets.
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:22 AM   #35

No S+B?

I toy with the idea. Mostly a thumbs down in our case (not fulltimers and I know OP asked FTers). Everyone's situation is so unique. If you are bogged down with mortgage and/or maintenance burdens, it makes sense to me. (We have neither). Have an exit strategy in place. Mine would be a park model like place with screened in porch and carport down in Florida. When you come off the road, you need a viable and realistic plan. Rents are high in desirable areas. Replacing S+B and all that comes with it, very expensive. We went the town home route many years ago and love it. We enjoy our RV but when we get home, it is nice to stretch out again and have our privacy and own washer and dryer.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:33 AM   #36

We don’t own a home , no plan to ever own a house again. Home ownership isn’t best for everyone I’ve learned . The hard way
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:38 AM   #37

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
We've been full timing since July 2017. Not a long time, but we sold or gave away everything.

I do NOT miss cutting the lawn, raking the leaves or paying HUGE property taxes. I do save whatever I budgeted for house repairs in the past, for maintenance of our coach though.

We have met so many nice folks that we never would have met staying in a S&B structure and doing the required yard work.

So, like a said, while not a long time full timing yet, we are VERY happy doing this.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:50 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Schulz View Post
I can relate to your situation, I have almost the same situation. I only have 3.3 acres but I built everything from the ground up. I have a Kubota diesel tractor with a front end loader, mid mount mower and rototiller, and a zero turn mower as well. Almost every tool under the sun as well.
We spent last winter in Florida, we had the time of our lives. Didn’t miss anything back home. I’m in the process of finishing the house so we can sell it. I never thought I would ever sell it as it is the perfect house and it’s been my baby but it is a lot of yard work and I would rather be traveling and seeing new things. I don’t want to spend my remaining years doing yard work and looking at the same things day in and day out. It’s time for a change. Hopefully should be out of here by early summer.
All our kids are finally out of the house and we have helped them out a lot over the years. It’s now time for us. I have a license plate on the front of my motorhome that says “We are spending our children’s inheritance”, and you know what, we are!
GSchulz, thanks for that. We do share a lot of the same issues but we will be fleeing from the summer heat instead of the winter cold. I too get tired of sitting on the 72" mower for hours, especially when it's 100 degrees outside. However, I love the sense of accomplishment you get when you relax and look out over the land, afterward. I may decide that I no longer want to be married to it, after we experience the freedom. I can see both sides.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:54 AM   #39

We call our Motor Home "The Half Way House between Conventional Living and The Old Folks Home' !
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:29 PM   #40

No house or property for me. This equals no responsibilities other than what is with me.
If the good Lord above allows me I will die in my home on wheels quietly parked somewhere warm and sunny.
Retired at 52 and that was the soonest the numbers worked for me.

Life is good
Old 01-27-2018, 12:52 PM   #41

Ford Super Duty Owner
So happy we sold our house. For medical reasons our fulltime life may be ending in a year or two. Now we get to chose where the new house will be, how big, what "old age" features we want. Like starting life over again but we get to make all the choices we want.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:02 PM   #42

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarata View Post
I think most people knew what i meant
But you didn't know what you meant. You do not understand the true essence of a Fulltime RVer. Some never learn it. Some do. It isn't for everyone and if you are this worried about it, then it probably isn't for you.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, full timer