Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2018, 02:51 PM   #57
GBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
I don't think you will make it as a full timer. Long trips, but not full time. From watching others with a good shop and hobbies around it you will want to get back to that kind of setup either where you are or someplace new.

I'll toss this in. All Full Timers need an exit plan. Health reasons will get most off the road sooner or later. The rest will die suddenly. The latter will often leave a spouse who will face what to do.
Im in the same frame of mind. 5 acres, built my own house, large shop, 40+ years of acummalations, to sell all that and move into a 8 x 30' box, and live in RV parks, i dont think so. We like taking 3~4 month trips to warmer country, but do like coming home. FT'ing just not for everybody.
GBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2018, 03:34 PM   #58

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just bought an Entegra Anthem. As soon as DW retires, house is being sold. Might never need another one.
Samuise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:14 AM   #59

Tiffin Owners Club
As soon as the villa sells it will be MH only for the next..............years.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:01 AM   #60

OP wondered how many "full-timers"?
and some one posted the answer.
"OP... the fed gov estimates there are over a million houseless RVers roaming the country or holed up in an RV park somewhere"
Many responses from those who sing the praises of no S&B. Just a few who reason that it's not for everyone.
We retired a few years back and spent months at a time roaming the country. Loved the warm winters in Florida and late spring by the Oregon coast. Spent some summer time in the Michigan UP by Lake Superior.
"Full-timing" in full on vacation mode is not cheap. Some "Full-timers", we observed, did so out of necessity and did not live the glamorous full on vacation life-style. We saw them in old beat down MHs pretty much living hand to mouth nearly everywhere.
Now, due to family circumstances we will be more homebodies. So happy we did not heed the siren song and kept our nice comfortable home.
One thing I am curious about? Where is the response from the "Full-timer" who ended up going back to the S&B? I'm pretty sure it happens all the time. Age or sickness will eventually get everyone. Just guessing but I would think most "Full-timers" only do so for four or five years. Probably a good idea to have an exit strategy as someone else mentioned. Don't spend your life "holed up in an RV park somewhere" if you don't want to.
raytwntrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:10 AM   #61

We don't own a home and full time in our motorhome.
When my wife opted for an early retirement, we were living in Charlotte, NC. I had just retired a year earlier. We had no emotional ties to the city and had relocated there for jobs. The housing market was very, very hot and we thought that we might never get the money for our house that we would get at the time.
So, we opted to sell (after holding an estate sale). We lived in our Class C for a bit, decided we liked the nomadic life, and upgraded to a Class A that is better for us to full time in.
We'll continue until we don't like it anymore...then maybe another home somewhere? Not sure where, and we don't see that on our horizon at all yet: we have too many places we want to see.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:36 AM   #62

I thought definition of being a full timer was not owning a house !?.....Ken
kenautoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:47 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarata View Post
The idea of not having a home scares me but I was wondering how many just have their motorhome or trailer and that's it to live in
I don't own a home and I full time.

The part that should SCARE you is that when you want to stop full timing you may not be able to afford a home and you may need to rent.

The prices of homes is increasing across the country ... except for places like Detroit.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:35 PM   #64

The spouse will mourn in their motor home, the same as a brick and mortar home. It will not change the grief to be in original home.
lindaludtke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:53 PM   #65

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post
"OP... the fed gov estimates there are over a million houseless RVers roaming the country or holed up in an RV park somewhere"
Many responses from those who sing the praises of no S&B. Just a few who reason that it's not for everyone.
We retired a few years back and spent months at a time roaming the country. Loved the warm winters in Florida and late spring by the Oregon coast. Spent some summer time in the Michigan UP by Lake Superior.
"Full-timing" in full on vacation mode is not cheap. Some "Full-timers", we observed, did so out of necessity and did not live the glamorous full on vacation life-style. We saw them in old beat down MHs pretty much living hand to mouth nearly everywhere.
Now, due to family circumstances we will be more homebodies. So happy we did not heed the siren song and kept our nice comfortable home.
One thing I am curious about? Where is the response from the "Full-timer" who ended up going back to the S&B? I'm pretty sure it happens all the time. Age or sickness will eventually get everyone. Just guessing but I would think most "Full-timers" only do so for four or five years. Probably a good idea to have an exit strategy as someone else mentioned. Don't spend your life "holed up in an RV park somewhere" if you don't want to.

First, most full timers who are successful get out of vacation mode after the first year. They slow down and explore local areas. They find less expensive local parks, COE parks, fairgrounds, membership parks, etc., as ways of keeping costs in line. We filltimed for 9 years and then found a great deal on a park model, in a park we like, for the winters. Now we spend 1/2 yr in motorhome and 1/2 time in park model. When we feel the motorhome is to much, we will just live year round in PM until we need assisted living or move in with our kids.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:18 PM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
How many full timers don't own a home

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post

I think many who give up the “life” no longer hang out on RV forums to answer .. but that’s just my quess. The ones I’ve known have money set aside to purchase or maybe just rent a small place. Several have and are doing just fine . They no longer need or want the big house they raised the family in. Esp since they are now used to less than 400sq feet.
The ones stuck in a trailer park in a run down rig just plain didn’t plan and nobody denies they exist but advice I’ve seen is always plan an exit
We are full time for about 2 years with great health so far !!. Sold the house ,after one year full time , that we had after kicking the daughter out ( not really but kinda) and renovating for a month
Sold one week after listing at a nice big $$$ asking price. Happy to see it gone!
Can we buy the same house if prices keep rising ?? Probably not but we wouldn’t want to! The Portland Oregon area our house was located is crazy high prices. Plenty of same houses elsewhere for 1/2 the price we got without the other crazy going on .
Since we plan to downsize anyway and the chance is good we won’t return to Portland , it’s all good !
In the meantime we are FREE. Free of debt , property taxes worry etc . I will say maint is still the same as something always is on the fix list. But the view is always what we want.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:31 PM   #67

We just accepted an offer on our house. Will stay in a park locally until June when we are done working and hit the road. So looking forward to the freedom and lack of schedule
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:56 PM   #68

Dear friends of ours are living full time in their motorhomes and various other RVs and they keep that siren call on full blast for us. We spent several months with them a while back riding the rainbow. To many the S & B is a requirement but after all this time living based somewhere we too are planning on getting out on the road. Parked in an RV park paying monthly rentals is still cheaper than paying taxes, insurances, maintenance fees etc on the present home. Once you are somewhere there is no longer a cost to getting there and you get to look forward to the next place on the journey.

Our good friend Barb taught us how to sit in the middle of nowhere and enjoy the nothingness surrounding you. Our motorhome will require repairs and some I will be able to do and others I will farm out but none will be as big a PITA to do as our sticks and bricks has cost us in the last while.

Hopefully this coming summer....
Wandersabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:18 PM   #69

From what I have seen some folks go back to a S&B and some do the park model or two route. It's easier in some ways to have two rigs set up more or less permanently and just move between them.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:15 PM   #70

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Ummmm, that’s still a losing proposition last year. Market was up what 21+%

And up what 7% this year so far?

And what is the maintenance cost on said sticks and bricks house???

To each their own

I’m very happy retired and not having the responsibility, maintenance and fear (fire/flood/tornado/earthquake/sink hole/burst pipe/crazy tenant/etc) of owning a house. At least I KNOW my RV will depreciate

So why do you post in the Fulltimers section if you hate the idea of fulltiming?
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, full timer