RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:19 AM   #15

We've never done any extended boon docking, maybe 3 or 4 days, so there's never been a need to carry a full load of water, maybe a 1/4 tank, and also never a full black or grey tank. A full water tank adds 1,200lbs., add in full black & grey tanks, and you could easily add another 6-800 lbs. I've never worried about being over weight in over 5yrs. of fulltiming.

Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2015, 01:24 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
....A full water tank adds 1,200lbs., add in full black & grey tanks, and you could easily add another 6-800 lbs.....
I can't ever imagine a scenario that would leave me with a full tank of fresh water AND full holding (black & grey) tanks. My coach has a fresh tank capacity of 100 gallons, a 60 gallon grey tank and a 40 gallon black tank. Even though there's space for 200 gallons of water (and "additives") ... I factor in a maximum of 850 pounds of water. I never take on additional fresh water until the holding tanks that contain the previous 100 or so gallons have been drained. No sense adding fresh water unless there's space in the holding tanks for whatever goes down the drain.

SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 01:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
I can't ever imagine a scenario that would leave me with a full tank of fresh water AND full holding (black & grey) tanks.
Same here. For carrying capacity calculations, I'm assuming full fresh and empty grey/black. I assume that anything added to grey/black will come from the fresh tank (for the most part).
ekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:51 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We weighed not long after buying our Discovery in March. We were over in the rear by 40#'s and under in the front by 1100#'s. Try to get heaviest stuff to the front. Twice we've gone thru everything to get unessentials and duplicates out.
New rule: Bring something in, take something out of equal weight or volume. Exception: consumables. ie. Food.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:19 PM   #19

My husband and I will be fulltiming, hopefully, next year. I can't imagine having 3000 lbs of stuff for the two of us. I don't think our clothes, laptops, dvds, books, kitchen stuff, and toiletries would weigh more than 500 lbs. I'm not sure where, in our RV, we would put 3000 lbs of stuff, even if we loaded the basement. When the time comes, we will be keeping a close eye on this, as we load the coach for what will be, god willing, the last time.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
Less is More.
Best answer

We FTd for 7 yrs. (34' 5th wheel)

We found out that really didn't need all that stuff
Each year we would go across a set of CAT Scales

And if something was NOT used in 6 mos. then it wasn't needed.

Our motto:
1 bag in...2 bags out
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:14 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
We ended up loading about 4000 lbs - still have 1200 lbs available but don't need it - we have to much 'stuff' as it is.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 07:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjkahler View Post
My husband and I will be fulltiming, hopefully, next year. I can't imagine having 3000 lbs of stuff for the two of us. I don't think our clothes, laptops, dvds, books, kitchen stuff, and toiletries would weigh more than 500 lbs. I'm not sure where, in our RV, we would put 3000 lbs of stuff, even if we loaded the basement. When the time comes, we will be keeping a close eye on this, as we load the coach for what will be, god willing, the last time.
Trust me....you definitely will not get by with 500 lb.!!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:53 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
We have equipped our coach much as if we were home. We have good pots, dinner plates, regular cutlery, etc. We enjoy our home amenities and take as much as we need to have the same level in the coach.

Might as well load up. The difference is negligible.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:58 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It can be surprising how the weight can add up. A couple three thousand pounds of stuff is not uncommon.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:48 AM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjkahler View Post
The chuckles you hear from those of us who have been out for quite a few years are reflections on our own follies when we were starting out. Trust us - things weigh more than you think! And that basement will fill up so fast it will make your head spin. 2-4 folding chairs/chaises, folding table, grill, winter clothes (remember, it all has to come with you), tools, water hoses (because you will need multiple sizes) sewer hoses (because there will be a time when you need 30 ft of sewer hoses in order to dump), electrical extension cord (50 amp cords weigh a lot more than you think ), extra filters, patio mats, Christmas lights, and on and on.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:48 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our '02 DS is 26308 empty, 28026 UVW when you account for fluids etc, and 31000 max gross.

We've been weighed twice in the 3-1/2 years we've been on the road, and we run right at 31000 Lbs all the time. So we're toting around 2974 Lbs of stuff-- plus what we carry in the toad when in travel mode. You will be amazed at how your stuff multiplies unless you are absolutely ruthless!

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, 3126, '04 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:05 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
We total out at 40,851 with a GVWR of 45,660. Full fresh water and empty holding tanks.