Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2017, 08:37 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
How often do you need to defrost your Norcold freezer.

I was wondering how often full timers have to defrost their freezers. Ours seems to need it every two to three weeks. I've tried the dollar bill test on the gaskets and they seem fine. Thanks!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2017, 08:45 AM   #2

We defrost our 1200 not because we 'needed' to; fridge was working fine. I guess I thought it was time. We defrost after 6 weeks or so. Takes about an hour, pretty easy. Just move all the freezer stuff into the fridge and turn the refrig off with the freezer doors open. Come back in 45 min and sop up the water.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:43 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The Norcold 1200 has an automatic defrost cycle that is set for either every 40 or 48 hours, I don't remember which.

If you are using the ARP protection device, you can program it to overide the automatic defrost cycle.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:29 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
Ours seems to need it every two to three weeks.
Define "need". I defrosted mine for the first time in more than two years. I'm not sure it "need"ed it done, but it was done.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:07 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
need=1/4 inch accumulation of frost

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:09 AM   #6

Depends on the humidity where you are located. South Florida defrosts a lot more then south Arizona.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:40 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
need=1/4 inch accumulation of frost
Every freezer I've ever seen is in need of it then. My freezer worked fine with an inch of frost on the back wall.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:20 PM   #8

I'm in charge of the fridge—among other things—and down here in Texas I'm finding about every couple of months or so. It really depends though on how much it's opened. What I do is take everything out and put it our empty trash can and then cover the top with a thick towel.

Then I take a large sauce pan 3/4 full of water and bring to a boil. Put a thick hot pan pad on the floor of the freezer and set the sauce pan there and close the door for about 20-30 minutes. Rinse & repeat. Take dry towel and mop up remaining ice and water and put food back.

We have a ARP unit on our fridge and love it and our door seals are good too. But our fridge fins, especially on the right side get caked up with ice it seems every 4 -6 weeks or so, even though we've left the auto frost cycle in place. It's no big deal though. When those fins start getting iced up and the auto frost can't keep up with it, I use the same technique as the freezer by putting the sauce pan on the top shelf. Works great.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:34 PM   #9

We defrost our Freezer about every 6 weeks or so. Started putting clear plastic wrap over the ice cube trays after filling them back up with water a while back and it seems to help cut back on how often we need to do it.

We pull everything out and use a hair dryer to melt the built up ice. Sponge to mop up. Takes about 15-30 minutes start to finish.
DPeterson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold