Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:48 AM   #15

It just depends on the individual, I know a man that has his 90th birthday coming up in a couple of weeks, he and his wife still take long road trips although in regular size vehicles now, and last year he did let someone else do the driving on their annual trip to Branson MO though which is just over 500 miles each way, so I guess he is starting to slow down.

I have another neighbor who is in his 90's and now in poor health, however he Started hiking the Appalachian Trail when he was about 74, and did the whole thing in segments a couple of months at a time over the next 4 or 5 years.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2017, 02:35 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Bill
We are in the exact same boat as you, (68 & 69) live in Vegas and planning on going full time this year. We have had a hard time coming to grips with storing our stuff or selling it. Decided to put the house up for sale next month (March) and start hauling extra stuff to storage then handing the keys over to the realtor and hitting the road for a year or two while looking for the perfect place to relocate for our growing old years.

I don't know how long we will feel like traveling and living in the RV, but as we start feeling like we have seen it all or just want to start growing roots somewhere we will keep the stuff in storage and traveling around visiting grandkids and friends (current and ones not even identified yet)

I say, sell that house and enjoy your last fling, cause there isn't a whole lot more opportunities to do fun exciting stuff once you get our age its now or never and this is what I have worked for for the last 50 years.

Bob & Pearl
2007 Monaco Camelot 42' PDQ
2013 Lincoln MKX - Roadmaster Falcon 2 - RVi brake - TireSafe Guard TPMS
JRPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:21 AM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
We are in our second month of accidental Fulltiming and 15th year of owning a Class A MH. I am 72.

We have all our stuff in storage @ $800 per month fees.

Currently staying in a nice RV resort at $1600 per month with three dog parks and almost perfect February weather for resort activities.

We have visited the area in past years so are no longer tourists.

There is no magic to us in living in an RV and certainly no economic benefits the way we are doing it.

I suspect most of the attraction of full timing is traveling, visiting places of interest, or making new acquaintances. If these are not your consuming interest, then keep the house and travel as a tourist.

Most of the occupants of our resort are from Washington, British Colombia, Alberta, and northern Nevada. They are escaping the frigid tundra and their house for about 3 months and enjoying balmy temps.

I will say, exchanging house repairs and maintenance demands for RV repairs is much less stressfull.......

YMMV
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:26 AM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I just turned 72 and my philosophy is keep active and do what you want to do while you are still healthy enough to enjoy it.
Mine too, since I was diagnosed with MS that started when I was 25 and I'm 70 now. Tried the treatments and finally decided to do what I wanted for as long as I could. Seems to be working well so far!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:07 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Mine too, since I was diagnosed with MS that started when I was 25 and I'm 70 now. Tried the treatments and finally decided to do what I wanted for as long as I could. Seems to be working well so far!!
Wow, that's amazing. I think 90% of your health is in your head.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:12 PM   #20

Age does as some special dimensions to full-timing. For example, even at the young age of 64 we plan shorter travel days to allow more frequent road stops to stretch the old muscles. We also have some health concerns so we try to stay within easy range of a hospital. For example, our next stop will be in Terlingua, TX which is well within sight of the middle of nowhere. Can't pass up the Big Bend area but we will be making a shorter stay that I would have twenty years ago.

So it is like most everything else with age. We can still get there but it takes a little more time...And maybe a pill.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:38 PM   #21

Last year I turned 66, my wife 55. I was retired, but she wasn't and quit her job high-paying, secure job. We sold our house, cars and almost everything we owned and flew off to Ecuador with only carry on size backpacks. Got back to Mexico in November after surviving earthquakes, hurricanes, identity theft and various illnesses in some of the more remote places in South America. We traveled by bus, plane, and canoe from South Americas northernmost point at Punta Gallinas to its southernmost tip at Cape Horn.

Now we're buying a one-ton diesel and a fifth wheel to continue on from Alaska to Baja.

We missed our house and a place to call home, we regret some of the things we sold or gave away, and we wish we'd planned our travels out better, but, . . . now we're hooked on long term travel. We've been scared, bored, excited, depressed, ecstatic, cold, hot, hungry, lost, but over it all it's like Mark Twain said, "travel is fatal to small-mindedness and bigotry." Read about at imaginetraveldiscover.com

Too Old? Hell no. Go for it.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:47 PM   #22

"travel is fatal to small-mindedness and bigotry."

^^^^^
This times 2
Old 02-26-2017, 09:57 PM   #23

My wife and I are only a few years behind you in age and we are getting ready to sell the house and go full time RV. My thoughts are when it's no longer fun then it's time to quit. Until then we will be on the move. One of the things on my bucket list is to see the US. It's time to get started. Let the adventure begin.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:05 PM   #24

You're too old when you feel too old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-22-2017, 11:37 AM   #25

I have been full-timing for 23 years and am 80 years young. Hope to get a few more decades on the road. Heading to Alaska for 2017.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:43 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Prior View Post
I have been full-timing for 23 years and am 80 years young. Hope to get a few more decades on the road. Heading to Alaska for 2017.
Good for you, Andy!!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:31 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Prior View Post
I hope to follow in your shoes Andy. You give me hope.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:46 AM   #28

Send a message via Yahoo to Bill98116
Andy, you are an inspiration!! Thanks, hope you get to see all those "balls of string" the country has to offer.
Bill