Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:37 PM   #29

Forest River Owners Club
Andy....

Wife and I are both 75 and are seriously considering moving into full timing.... Two hrs ago we relocated to be closer to our grandkids.... Seemed like a good idea at the time, BUT last month son and family moved to Maine.... And they actually took our grandkids with them!!! Can you believe that !!!!

We currently have a 40' class A that we love and plan on using it as our "full-time home on the road". Tired of all the up-keep involved in maintaining a home on 4.5 acres and everything associated with that.... Insurance, taxes, utilities, and the list goes on and on - things I'd like to see in our rear view mirror....

Hopefully, after going out for a month this summer, we will know firmly now is the time while we still can....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2017, 05:38 PM   #30

Forest River Owners Club
Two yrs ago not hrs ago.... Dang auto spell.....

Old 04-17-2017, 05:47 PM   #31

Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
We are starting full time this summer and I'm 67.
Unless there's a physical disability, I see no problem.
Just have a plan B on the back burner
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:53 PM   #32

Forest River Owners Club
We have friends well into their 80's who are no longer comfortable braving the highways with their MH. Their solution is to have someone do the driving from point a to b, but living in their (and from) their MH. Works well for them.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:34 PM   #33

You're not too old to begin. Are you comfortable driving? Does your wife help with the driving? This would be a good time to scout different areas in case you want to settle down again later. Good luck. It's a wonderful lifestyle!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:48 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
We started full time 4 years ago. We're both 78 now and just wish we'd started sooner. Right now we're in route from AZ (where we winter) on our way to PA and NY to see family. Then it's back to CO for some 4x4 exploring in the Silverton, Oray area and then to NE, Scotts Bluff to watch the eclipse on 21AUG.

We're having a lot of fun spending our kids inheritance, which neither of them need.

As long as you're able, go for it.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:53 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The definition of "full-timing" is different for everyone.
You're not too old IMO.
May want to consider what is your definition of full timing and how you intend to do it.
I would say the more you intend to boondock (oh, and everyone has a different definition of boondocking) the more physically capable you will need to be. Boondocking by my definition is out in the wilderness not that close to amenities and certainly no hookups.
If you intend to stay in RV parks no question you are not too old. That is a much easier way to go about full timing.
Best of luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:02 AM   #36

Talking Two CLEAR answers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill98116 View Post
We've been RVing for some years now. Have run the gamut on RV's from 42' class A, a toy hauler, class C and now a 5th wheel. We stayed in the class A for about 3 years. I wouldn't categorize us as full timers even then because we knew we were going to get a house at some point. We just traveled, staying in one place or another for a matter of months or sometimes just a few weeks. We just moved about at our will, going when and where we wanted, no strings. My wife still works. She has an accounting business that she can do over the internet (sure helps with the bills!). Right now we live in a house in Vegas, which we really like. BUT, now there are grandchildren in Texas who the wife wants to spend more time with. For the past three years we've been going back for the holidays (November through January) staying in our 5th wheel. That works out fine except for those 3 months we are paying for a house that is sitting empty, an RV and an RV site as well. I keep thinking of selling the house and going full time RVing. We can see the grand kids when we want and travel and not have to pay for house, RV and camp site. It's a hard sell going full timing to the wife. She says we're too old, I'm 69. I say yes I'm 69 but still healthy. I'd like to continue to travel for a few more years while I am still healthy. I'm too young and not yet ready to retire to a rocking chair and rock myself to death. So, how old is too old?
1) If you're even asking that question..."YOU'RE NOT TOO OLD"!!!

2) 112

GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!opcorn :
Old 04-18-2017, 11:39 AM   #37

How old is too old to start Full Timing?

2 weeks for us, I am 58 and my wife is 52. We thought about last year, but just didn't pull the trigger on it. We wish we would have now in retro spect.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:54 AM   #38

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Two yrs ago not hrs ago.... Dang auto spell.....
When you post something you have an hour to go back and edit it. There is an "Edit" button that shows up during that time.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:43 PM   #39

Forest River Owners Club
Good to know.... BUT - like they say - "a card laid is a card played" OR "a post made is a post read".... Lol....
Old 04-19-2017, 09:29 AM   #40

Age is just a number. I'm 53 and started full-timing last year. We meet a lot of people--I hear 2 things from full-timers, 1. Love the lifestyle and 2. Wish we would have done it sooner. We're Escapees members and love meeting Escapees. We're in Benson AZ now staying at an Escapees Coop Park--it's awesome! I say go for it and if you decide you want to slow down, check into the Escapees Coop parks. We met a couple here, wife is 86 (although she didn't look over 70) and husband 88, they've been full-time over 20 years and still loving it.
txdebbielong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:26 PM   #41

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
When you post something you have an hour to go back and edit it. There is an "Edit" button that shows up during that time.

Are you saying that it can't be read during that 1st hour?
Old 05-01-2017, 02:15 PM   #42

My wife and I, both in our early 50's met a young 80yr lady in a Camping World who had been fulltiming for a year or so. She gave us some good ideas and was a wealth of knowledge as a whole.
Heck, at 66 she had joined the Peace Corp and went to Armenia. Guess, my wife and I have many years left to do just about anything we want and I won't forget our conversation with this 80yr old young lady.