Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2017, 05:56 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Bill98116
How old is too old to start Full Timing?

We've been RVing for some years now. Have run the gamut on RV's from 42' class A, a toy hauler, class C and now a 5th wheel. We stayed in the class A for about 3 years. I wouldn't categorize us as full timers even then because we knew we were going to get a house at some point. We just traveled, staying in one place or another for a matter of months or sometimes just a few weeks. We just moved about at our will, going when and where we wanted, no strings. My wife still works. She has an accounting business that she can do over the internet (sure helps with the bills!). Right now we live in a house in Vegas, which we really like. BUT, now there are grandchildren in Texas who the wife wants to spend more time with. For the past three years we've been going back for the holidays (November through January) staying in our 5th wheel. That works out fine except for those 3 months we are paying for a house that is sitting empty, an RV and an RV site as well. I keep thinking of selling the house and going full time RVing. We can see the grand kids when we want and travel and not have to pay for house, RV and camp site. It's a hard sell going full timing to the wife. She says we're too old, I'm 69. I say yes I'm 69 but still healthy. I'd like to continue to travel for a few more years while I am still healthy. I'm too young and not yet ready to retire to a rocking chair and rock myself to death. So, how old is too old?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2017, 06:06 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
you WERE full timing and how did she like it ?

only as old as you feel - if you feel it, go for it - the 4 worst words in the English language are:
"I wish I had"

I would start NOW, but the wife won't have it (YET )
Old 02-23-2017, 06:32 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Why not just buy a "lock and leave" place? Then you can travel as much as your wife is happy with, and still have your home base. HWHL
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:42 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don't know, I'm 70 and hope to go full time next year.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:34 PM   #5

Nope. You're not too old.

Now that the grandkids are in Texas, is there a special reason you want to stay in Vegas?

Sell it, invest the money and do your traveling. When you want to settle down again you'll probably want a smaller house than you have now and there may even be a possibility that you might locate nearer the grandkids.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:41 PM   #6

Foretravel Owners Club
How old is too old to go full timing?....... A month after you quit breathing would be my guess.......
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:44 PM   #7

As long as you are both mentally and physically able, you're not too old.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:54 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Tomorrow!!

So do it today!!!!
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:18 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We love RVing but would never let go of Home Base. We live in So Cal. and are away from home 2 weeks out 4 most of the year. I'm 71 and see doc's every couple months and don't want to change doc's. Too many great memories here.

Don't tell anyone but, I can surf, trout-fish, and ski or snowboard in an hour. Give that up?

NOT!

Mike
Old 02-23-2017, 08:47 PM   #10

You're too old when you're pushing up daiseys.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:50 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you're thinking about it, and asking the question, you're not too old.

DW turned 70 recently, I'll hit it next year. We've both got the odd medical issues, but they're manageable.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:26 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You could rent the house out for a year or two as you check out fulltiming. That way if you don't like it you have something to fall back on.

Real estate is slowly growing again so it might pay to do that as the house would likely go up in value. Of course renting brings in another set of problems.

I just turned 72 and my philosophy is keep active and do what you want to do while you are still healthy enough to enjoy it.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:07 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
When you lose the spark of life, your sense of adventure or when your plug is pulled

momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:16 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill98116 View Post
We've been RVing for some years now. Have run the gamut on RV's from 42' class A, a toy hauler, class C and now a 5th wheel. We stayed in the class A for about 3 years. I wouldn't categorize us as full timers even then because we knew we were going to get a house at some point. We just traveled, staying in one place or another for a matter of months or sometimes just a few weeks. We just moved about at our will, going when and where we wanted, no strings. My wife still works. She has an accounting business that she can do over the internet (sure helps with the bills!). Right now we live in a house in Vegas, which we really like. BUT, now there are grandchildren in Texas who the wife wants to spend more time with. For the past three years we've been going back for the holidays (November through January) staying in our 5th wheel. That works out fine except for those 3 months we are paying for a house that is sitting empty, an RV and an RV site as well. I keep thinking of selling the house and going full time RVing. We can see the grand kids when we want and travel and not have to pay for house, RV and camp site. It's a hard sell going full timing to the wife. She says we're too old, I'm 69. I say yes I'm 69 but still healthy. I'd like to continue to travel for a few more years while I am still healthy. I'm too young and not yet ready to retire to a rocking chair and rock myself to death. So, how old is too old?
If it's the idea of not having a home that bothers your wife, I'd suggest selling the house and getting a condo you both like and can see yourself living in. Then rent the condo out and "go RVing for a few years," just like you did previously. When you've had enough, come back to your condo.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote