Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2019, 06:32 AM   #1

Question How to prepare for Class I-II hurricane?

We full time/stationary in Upstate South Carolina so are wondering how we can best prep for Dorian. Would we be better off to evacuate or ride it out if it will be a Class I where we are? We've had severe, long rains before with no damage - but what about wind? How much wind can our 34' Flagstaff trailer withstand without damage (assuming no tree limbs fall on us)? Should we leave the two slides out (broader distribution of weight) or bring them in (consolidated weight)? Suggestions born of either theory or experience would be appreciated.
nomorervnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2019, 07:09 AM   #2

Evacuate. Head west. It's coming in at a Category 4
Old 08-31-2019, 07:09 AM   #3

Cat 1 Hurricanes are usually not so bad, but I would not want to be in an RV in one if there was another option. Cat 2, is when things start to get lively, when things really start to blow around, roofs, street signs, and where you want to be in a solidly constructed building....

I think the thing most hurricane first timers are not prepared for is how long the wind lasts, the fist strong gusts may appear 48 hours or more before the peak wind arrives, and when the peak wind really arrives you will be thinking, I just thought that was strong wind 12 hours ago. This is not some thunder storm which will blow through in half an hour, this is sustained winds whipping everything for hour after hour.

p.s. Cat 3, 4 and 5 mean paths of total destruction, it is just a question of how bad, how many feet of water, etc.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:11 AM   #4

You said it Isaac-1
Old 08-31-2019, 07:18 AM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Where in the upstate are you?
Near the coast or near the western border?

If near the coast leave.

If further west you have time to wait and see a more accurate forecast of track and intensity.

In any event prepare and stock up on essentials now.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:28 AM   #6

The upstate of SC is the western part of the state. If you have to evacuate from there, we are all in deep stuff. Lived in WNC all my life and never had anything but heavy rains from hurricanes.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:44 AM   #7
Community Moderator

If you stay, bring slides in.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:15 AM   #8

I’d be prepared to haul butt if the storm comes your way. Put anything that can fly away somewhere. Might want to hookup the tow vehicle (filled with fuel), onboard water filled, tanks empty. Watch the forecasts. If it skirts our state, you will be just fine. If it make a course for where you are, make sure you’re not there when it gets there.

I’m in central SC and have the mh ready to go, and at a minimum as a place to stay if we lose power.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:55 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Fuel up and be prepared to leave. Since you are a permeate resident (not a true full timer), You may just want to leave the RV and head for a safer area. It is not worth risking your safety.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:42 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It will always be safer to evacuate, as early as possible, with or without your RV.

Get cash from your financial institution, fill fuel tanks, have plenty of food that doesn't need refrigeration or heat to prepare (my favorite is peanut butter and honey sandwiches that I can't eat them for more than a week ), bring gallons of water (at least 1 gallon per person per day), and refill your meds before leaving.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:27 PM   #11

Stabilizers down. All tanks filled with water and slides in. Park extremely close (inches) to house or other sturdy building.
Have good insurance and pray for the best.
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:25 PM   #12

I'm from South Louisiana. I've been through many hurricanes. A cat 1 isn't normally bad. You can still get broken tree limbs and power outages, but it's really just a nasty thunderstorm and some wind. At cat 2, you can start seeing real damage. That's when trees start getting uprooted, and items get tossed around. Cat 3 4 and 5 are just more and more damage. Cat 5s can level entire cities.

There's more to a hurricane than just the category number. Dorian is pretty wide so there will be significant storm surge associated with it. That's a problem on coasts, but not likely to be an issue where you are. There is the potential for downpours that last 3 or 4 days even where you are. The north east corner of a hurricane is the worst corner, but for you to get hit by that corner, it would have to be over land for a while. That's going to kill it. You'll probably get Cat 1 forces. It's unlikely that you'll get more than that.

I'm near Burlington, NC. I'm not expecting to leave, but I'm still going to prepare and keep an eye on Dorian's path. If I do have to evacuate, I'll likely head over to the Knoxville area. It's far enough inland for me to only have to deal with a little rain and wind. For now, I'd suggest that you just stock up and be prepared to leave. Keep an eye on the forecasts and be ready to hitch up and bail if you need to. Remember, your house is mobile. Don't sit in harm's way because you don't have to.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:28 PM   #13

If you're parked under trees I'd be leery about staying in it. Definitely bring in the slides and store anything that's outside. Pack a 'to go bag' with necessities and important papers, medications and take off without the RV, if necessary. Be safe!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:51 PM   #14

road out a cat 1 and a tropical storm in am RV. Take advise. load up and ride. leave go to an amusement park or something fun. go home after storm loaded with fuel and water. call the insurance agent too. its just not worth staying when you coukd be dping something fun
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane