Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2018, 04:52 PM   #1

insurance headache

Wow, my insurance company says that if I sell my car and drive an RV exclusively for two years, they'll charge me LOTS more when I come back to my condo and get another car. The RV doesn't count as a vehicle.

They said all insurers do this. I called five companies and yes, they all do--and they call it a lapse if I don't have coverage for only 31 days!

I was a fulltimer from 2012-2016 and never knew about this policy. But I bet some of you out there have come up against it. Is there anything I can do to keep from paying more just because I've been driving an RV instead of a car?

Thanks!

Alex
AlexRedFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2018, 10:26 PM   #2

Not true.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Not true.
But I called Allstate, Amica, The Hartford, and Progressive. The agents at all four said it they did the same thing.

Anybody else have this experience? Know of a work-around?
Old 05-17-2018, 11:30 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
A lot of companies will not write insurance for a motorhome for someone who doesn't also have a car. The car is see as being a daily driver, RV not so much.

How small is your RV that you don't need a car? Is it small enough to have it classified as a van? Personally, I wouldn't have just an RV - can't see it as a daily driver.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
A lot of companies will not write insurance for a motorhome for someone who doesn't also have a car. The car is see as being a daily driver, RV not so much.

How small is your RV that you don't need a car? Is it small enough to have it classified as a van? Personally, I wouldn't have just an RV - can't see it as a daily driver.
I have a Winnebago Spirit, 26 feet long. I don't like cities, so rural driving is no problem with that length. I don't want to get into towing (which I've never done). It's just me and my cat, who doesn't drive, and I'm pushing 70. So one vehicle is all I need or want to take care of.

Was in a Winnebago View for four years, 24 feet, did just fine. I don't understand the insurance company ignoring the fact that I'm driving the RV instead of a car. I drive it and insure it, but somehow they get to call that a lapse in insurance.

Anybody have a work-around? I'm thinking I could register/insure my brother's car to stay on record as insured, since my RV doesn't count.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:45 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Alex! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:22 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Not true.
You Know the Motor home is an automobile
I know the motor home is an automobile
Nation wide insists it is not an automobile
long story and yes I feel ripped off.

THE GENERAL is one of several Companies who will give you credit even if you have interuppted coverage for a period of .. I think up to 5 years (But do not quot me on that)

I did pay more of my car the FIRST year once I got a new one. but the next year when thy jaked my price.. Well. Shop around.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:28 PM   #8

it's a fairly standard policy across the board, unless you find a company like Safeco, who may write your RV on a standard auto policy, at least in some states. When you remove your car, you'll still have a 'auto policy' that will continue, without a 'lapse', and until you ever add another vehicle.

now, another way to look at this, though, is to remember that if you don't have a 'car', for that length of time you also won't have an auto insurance PAYMENT to go with it(nice!)... and so any 'increase' in premium when you eventually decide to insure an 'auto' will not really be that big of deal... it's not the end of the world, but companies just can't offer some sizable discounts that are normally included with folks who've had insurance without a 'lapse'...

I wouldn't worry about it... shoot, things will probably change before then anyway!

I'm an agent in GA and NC... so don't quote me for OH!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:59 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexRedFox View Post
But I called Allstate, Amica, The Hartford, and Progressive. The agents at all four said it they did the same thing.

Anybody else have this experience? Know of a work-around?
I have an idea try this:

Buy a junk motorcycle/Car for $100, Just make sure it has a good title.

Get all paperwork in order.

Buy the plates

Get it insured for absolute minimum state standard liability

(Motorcycles with progressive start at $75 per year. )

wave goodbye and Scrap the vehicle

alwasy keep plate and insurance up to date.

When I was a single guy and 27 I bought a Mustang GT. I also owned a old farm truck (77-F150)
Insurance agent let me know that the two vehicles were much cheaper to insure than the mustang all alone.
I think I paid insurance on that truck for many years after I sold it.
I knew the insurance company would never complain. Back then there were less compluters so i insured the truck with no plates at all. I am unsure if that might work today.
Back then they would insure ANY vehicle you asked them to if you just gave them the vin.

I called progressive to add my new to me dual sport bike the first week of May and add it to my scooter(motorcycle by ohio standards)
scooter is due 10-10-18
New bike was insured till that date for $8.51
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:05 PM   #10

that'll cost a lot more in money, time, headaches, and aggravation than just doing what you do and worry about the other part later. Nobody even 'said' how much 'more' it would even be in the first place.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:06 PM   #11

Buy a toad or buy a cheap motorcycle and put insurance on it.. it counts as a vehicle
Old 05-18-2018, 08:55 PM   #12
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
So, please help me understand this.

The auto insurance company will penalize someone for not having, and paying for, something they did not want nor need?

Where is their risk? Why should someone have to pay more for the same, coverage compared to someone else, just because there was a period of time when the customer did not own a vehicle?

It's not like health insurance where there might be some "pre-existing condition". It is insurance on a vehicle that is just being purchased by the customer.

I just don't get it.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:33 PM   #13

Just want to say--I'm in ARIZONA, not Ohio. Have a cell phone with an Ohio area code because I used to live there.

Getting a cheap bike means getting the motorcycle endorsement on my driver's license.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I'll try General and Safeco, and if that doesn't work I'll go the old car route. Thanks!
Old 05-19-2018, 08:29 AM   #14

Cheap bike only needs an endorsement if you ride it. Get a junker you will never ride and pay the 25$ month insurance so you get a multi discount. Don’t need the endorsement to register or insure. Only need for the police if you get pulled over

Tags
ada, insurance