Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2005, 09:44 AM   #1

Looking to become full time RV's April 2006, would like to know what everyone is using for internet access. Virizon has high speed broadban access, unlimited for $59.95 a month if you have their phone service. Hopy everyone is having a GREAT TIME. Looking forward to getting on the road. Lana
Lana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2005, 09:44 AM   #2

Looking to become full time RV's April 2006, would like to know what everyone is using for internet access. Virizon has high speed broadban access, unlimited for $59.95 a month if you have their phone service. Hopy everyone is having a GREAT TIME. Looking forward to getting on the road. Lana
Lana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 03:32 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Be careful and check the coverage area of Verizon's Broadband. My understanding is it only works in a few major metropolitan areas. I believe one location on the west coast (California) and one or two in the east. It does not work throughout their entire coverage area.

For $59 per month you can get DirectWAY Satellite broadband, although you need to shell out a upfront $1500 for the equipment. But at least it will work anywhere in the continental U.S.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 09:10 AM   #4

I have had a Verizon Wireless Aircard for over a year now and love it. It works in most areas where my cell phone works. The only dead zones we found were along the southern Oregon coast where I couldn't pickup the 1X signal. My phone switched to whatever signal was available, but my aircard couldn't.

My aircard is broadband capable, so I have faster speed when in broadband areas. $79 per month unlimited access.

I believe the newer cards are a bit better/faster and will probably upgrade when my contract runs out.

It is so convenient to be able to pull up a map, rv park directory, or whatever you need while cruising down the highway.

Our homes on the road
JudyandJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 07:05 PM   #5

Yes they work great as long as you are in cell phone range, which I have found not to be the case in a lot of places we RVers like to park.
If you do go fulltime and need internet access you may what to look into a satellite system. Check out this web site http://www.datastormusers.com for information on the satellite systems.

Travel safe and have fun
Sad Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 12:38 PM   #6

Sunflyer Judy, Call your service {Verizon} and you to can get the broadband service if it is in your area. The price for this is only 59.99 a month. When I signed up for it, it was 79.99, but I received a call from the guy who set me up and he put me on the other plan. I do belive you can get it also. Just thought you might want to know this.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:01 PM   #7

Lana,

I have been using my cell phone for internet for a couple years now via snap-dial. I was at a seminar a couple weeks ago and the man explained you can use mobile office from Verizon to go on using their National Access.

I just received mine today and am using it tonight. I love the speed. It is 11 times faster than snapdialer and 3 times faster than dial up at 56K.(I ran three speed checks to verify). Since I have not subscribed to National Access/Broadband from verizon I use my cell phone minutes meaning mostly at night and weekends. I will eventually subscribe to the service to be online 24/7 but for now this will work.

When you subscribe to the service you use broadband when in areas and national access wherever you have digital reception.(If you go to their site it will give you all the broadband locations). For now the setup I use works for me. I love the additional speed.

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 12:18 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
We just got the Verizon Broadband card & love it. We're in a remote area on the James River Peninsula and still get a whopping signal. Before we jumped for it I talked extensively with some users who have traveled into Idaho, Montana and have always had a signal. I'm sure there are areas where there is no coverage, but Verizon has the widest cell phone network and I expect their Broadband network will follow suit.

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 01:33 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Thee is no Verizon Broadband coverage in Montana or Idaho.

Your friends may be confusing Verizon's Broadband with Verizon's National Access.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 03:07 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I'm sitting in Ocean Lakes Campground on the beach on the coast of South Carolina in the middle of TD Tammy. The motorhome is rocking back and forth in the wind BUT the Verizon VZ620 is workin' great!

My satellite TV dish doesn't work in 45 mph wind and I can safely say that a datastorm dish wouldn't work either.

About remote sites, I had a great signal in the open ranges of southern Wyoming.

When the weather stinks the Verizon wireless WWAN card works. Added bonus, it also works when you're going down the road at 60 MPH.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 05:13 PM   #11

Does Sprint have internet cell service I will be fulltiming in feb 06

Thanks

Tom
destin100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 06:09 PM   #12

Thanks for the 411

Tom
destin100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 08:37 PM   #13

I use a Direcway (data storm) satellite system and yes it will work in 45 mph winds, at least mine does. Heavy rain is a whole nother story, same for trees. I have the roof mounted system and it can be a pain as far too many RV parks are loaded with trees which will for sure block the signal.

There is also a tripod mounted dish which is convienient when there are a lot of trees around and it is less than half the cost of the roof mounted (automatic) system which runs around 6 K installed and 99 bucks a month.

It gets downloads at around 550kbs and uploads at about 75kbs. I have yet to find a place where I can not connect as long as I can see the southern sky. Unlike the card access, the satellite only works when you are parked. My coach came with a cell phone which has a connection to the onboard computer that I can use as a back-up or while in motion if I need to.

Alarmguy
04 See Ya Gold (MH)
00 Voyager toad (remco pump)
Alarmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 02:04 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wa0mqe:
Be careful and check the coverage area of Verizon's Broadband.

For $59 per month you can get DirectWAY Satellite broadband, although you need to shell out a upfront $1500 for the equipment. But at least it will work anywhere in the continental U.S. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your DirectWAY prices are low for the general mobil user. The cost for equipment more than triples if you do not have storage for the extra large dish and components. When traveling and in need of daily connections taking out and setting up a manual dish is a undisirable proposition. Automatic signal finding and folding roof mounted dish is exspensive and a pita for most using this form of connection.
Since every form of internet connection is advancing rapidly even the dish people are finding cell to be easier and cheaper in the long run. It is also alot easier to take a cell card in for service than a dish setup.
All in all the mobile dish has alot of disadvantages that pop up. I have met more than one user that had the dish taken off their coach in total frustration. I know everyone can promise the world and that their service is different.
I never stop researching for the best connection available. I am addicted to gadgets however there is a limit. I want them to work.
I use CINGULAR service. They seem to have the most access through out the US. This is from personal exsperience.
MMouser is offline   Reply With Quote