Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2014, 03:04 PM   #15
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Personally, I would not go over 40' because most if not all over that have tag axles. I don't want to spend the extra $2500 for those four tires!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2014, 03:13 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO it is sort of like a shed. You cannot build a shed too big! There is some limits to practicality but if space and comfort is what you want generally longer is better.

I am looking forward to seeing the double deckers come out that raise the second floor. I have seen pictures of a few custom MH but have not seen one up close.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:14 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

Does the 45' unit you are looking at have a tag axle? If so can it be lifted from the drivers seat? If not the turning radius would be huge and you would be dragging tag axle tires while turning.

By your last comments you don't expect to go into campgrounds however you must at sometime to empty your tanks and take on water. I have a 35 footer and am used to driving Prevost buses and maneuvering in a campground can be a problem with all the trees and other peoples campsites. You would really need a pull thru site for sure and not a backin.

BTW some states have restrictions on your overall length so I would also check that out.

In my personal opinion a 35-40 footer would be sufficient. We stay in our 35" for 4 months out of the year at one campground and find plenty of room and storage plus we
spend a lot of time outdoors. I even purchased a Coleman Canopy with four side panels and use it.

Good luck!

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:18 PM   #18

I have a 40' and I wish I had purchased the 45'. Its like a few other things in life, size matters.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:01 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Personally, I would not go over 40' because most if not all over that have tag axles. I don't want to spend the extra $2500 for those four tires!
A tag only has two wheels. It is unpowered.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:14 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you want to "camp" in Forest Service campgrounds then yes it's too big, but then so is a 40' in most cases!
We're looking at 43-45'ers ourselves and I asked at our favorite campground, they said no problem, but that's just for their campground.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:12 AM   #21

There are a lot of 42-45 foot Motorhomes out there on the highways. They may be too big for some older parks but there is always a park or resort nearby that can handle the bigger rigs. I have never had to pass on a "area" due to the size of my MH (42).
You will find that the longer wheel base of a 42-45 foot coach will not turn as sharp. As a 36 footer but it is not a big deal. The smooth stable ride to the tag axle MORE than makes up for that little inconvenience. If you have doubts about driving a rig that size, take a short driving course. The two day course at Lazy Days is cheap, has great pointers, and chance to drive one through the narrow campground streets.
If you really like the 45 foot but don't get it because you think it's too big you will regret it later.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:16 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
No, it is not too big. I worried about the same thing when I traded my 40 for a 45. I needn't have worried. It has very been slightly more restrictive but well worth it for the added space and the improvement in ride.

2nd

05 MADP 4301
2014 Ford FX4 Crew
Blue Ox tow bar
Air Force One
Billy & Jeannie & Clyde The Poodle
Vsilvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:09 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
There are a lot of 42-45 foot Motorhomes out there on the highways. They may be too big for some older parks but there is always a park or resort nearby that can handle the bigger rigs. I have never had to pass on a "area" due to the size of my MH (42).
You will find that the longer wheel base of a 42-45 foot coach will not turn as sharp. As a 36 footer but it is not a big deal. The smooth stable ride to the tag axle MORE than makes up for that little inconvenience. If you have doubts about driving a rig that size, take a short driving course. The two day course at Lazy Days is cheap, has great pointers, and chance to drive one through the narrow campground streets.
If you really like the 45 foot but don't get it because you think it's too big you will regret it later.
Actually the 45' will turn in a tighter radius than shorter coaches because with the tag lifted the WB is shorter.
darstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:40 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Also depends upon the steering cut. Our MH has a 60 cut. Have yet to see how it gets into really tight spots but have made some interesting turns with the curbs in Walmart parking lots.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:34 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
No

Scott
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:24 PM   #26

I'm with Selah. After selling our 4k sq. ft. S&B, bought a 45. Only been full time since late June and have not experienced any major issues due to length. And I LOVE that we have 1.5 bath and king size bed.
Diesel Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:19 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Also depends upon the steering cut. Our MH has a 60 cut. Have yet to see how it gets into really tight spots but have made some interesting turns with the curbs in Walmart parking lots.
Went to a campout last weekend. Campground was older and spots were on the tight side but had no issues with getting in or out of the assigned campsite.

IMO the length of the campsite will be the determining factor in most cases. That and low tree branches. There will always be some campsites with narrow roads and parking spots that will be an issue.

Unfortunately moving the MH to different locations to test the "parkability" is the biggest issue. Cannot go to every campground to check how the parking is.

IMO there are many campgrounds who decide arbitrarily on a length. Some of those decisions are made based on what they 'think' is the max length. The decisions may have been made because someone was unable to get into their campsite. Rather than fight with folks they administer a cutoff to reduce the stress for the staff.

Some folks get to these areas without any experience or practise in parking their unit. When they are unable to park in their campsite the easiest thing to blame is the unit or the site.

I have watched campers attempting to back their unit into wide open campsites (accompanied by much arm waving and gesturing) and end up sideways or in the next campsite. Backing up is not the easiest thing to do and is a skill developed by analyzing the mechanics and then practising until you are competent.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:19 PM   #28

IMHO a 45ft coach is not too big. We are now full-timers and this is our first coach. I would make sure that you can lift the tag axle from the driver's seat. Some coaches only unload the axle, and while this works, IMHO lifting the tag is the best.

We are presently staying in the Denver area in state parks, Chatfield & Cherry Creek, and have no problems in these parks.

Some private RV parks we've used have been fairly tight, but lifting the tag axle made them easy.

Prior to selling out and going full-time we had a 25ft Arctic Fox TT that we pulled with a 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup. The trailer was lifted to match the truck and we pulled it anywhere the truck would go. Obviously, there's no way our 45ft coach will go to the places and routes that we drug the TT, but that's the compromise we made for the comfort and space of our coach.
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote