Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2014, 05:52 PM   #1

Is RV insurance more expensive for full timers?

In the future I plan to buy a class A and full time as my job is traveling by nature thus supporting the RV lifestyle, I'm thinking the insure ace might be expensive.
1lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2014, 10:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lonewolf View Post
In the future I plan to buy a class A and full time as my job is traveling by nature thus supporting the RV lifestyle, I'm thinking the insure ace might be expensive.
More you travel the more exposure you have. Yes you will pay more, albeit not that much more. I think the full time premium on my Progressive policy is about $50.
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:09 PM   #3

Well that's not too bad.
1lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:55 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:12 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
What do you mean by fulltiming? Are you selling your house and living in an RV 24/7, then yes, it will be quite a bit more than just vehicle insurance if you already have a house with insurance. Fulltime insurance is more because it also acts as 'homeowners' insurance for when you are parked and someone trips over a chair on your patio and sues. If you still have a S&B, your home owners (renters) insurance covers that type of liability.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Insurance cost depends on what city/state your domicile is in. It's dependent on your driving record. They may also take into consideration about how many miles you drive or think you might drive. The type, make and model of what ever you will be living in is also a biggie on cost.
There are a lot of variables, the best thing might be to call your insurance company and first ask if they do full time RV insurance, some don't. If they do then ask them to just work up a quote. They may not do a quote without knowing an exact or close to exact model RV/TT so just pick one to get a feel for what it might be.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:58 AM   #7

My insurance is through Blue Sky - I domicile in Madison, SD. My rate went up $39.00 a year when we changed it to full-timing. I already had liability for guests on my original policy so the only change was a note to my file and an increase in personal property coverage. I pay under $900 a year for insurance and the total loss replacement value of my coach is $103K.

Every insurance company is different and rates vary greatly on the county and state you domicile in. Good luck.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:53 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
...I already had liability for guests on my original policy ...
What you have is limited liability coverage should your guests be injured while in your rig, or possibly on your campsite. What you don't have is personal liability coverage for the rest of life's possible calamities. You knock down some little 'ol lady at Walmart with your shopping cart and she breaks her hip. You zonk someone on the golf course with your ball or club or send the ball through a window. This type of coverage usually comes off your home owner's policy. As you no longer have a home owner's policy you'll need to pick it up with a "full timer" policy, and there's no way that costs only $50 or ads only $39 per year to your premium.

Bottom line, yes, FULL coverage for you and your rig will cost more than coverage for just your rig, but not enough to exceed, or even match, the combined coverage most stick and brick dwellers pay.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:57 PM   #9

Jay, Thank you for your reply, I know you mean well but the claims you made about my specific circumstance is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
What you don't have is personal liability coverage for the rest of life's possible calamities.
Since I am new to full-timing I called my insurance agent today to double check your claim. And he reaffirmed what my policy rider says. Yes, I DO have personal liability coverage and in fact I am fully insured for the incidents that you described.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
As you no longer have a home owner's policy you'll need to pick it up with a "full timer" policy, and there's no way that costs only $50 or ads only $39 per year to your premium.
It appears that we are both wrong - it did not add $39 to my policy premium per year. It only added $33 My agent also told me that the extra $33 per year is right in line with the industry average cost of $10-$14 per $100,000 of liability insurance. As I side note, I was glad to find out that my $2 Million umbrella policy also fell in line with the industry average.

Happy Trails.
Steven N Stephanie
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:12 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Your umbrella modifies the equation. It caps the underlying limits required to meet the "deductible" on the umbrella. Add the cost of the umbrella to the $33 and you're probable close to what I'd expect.

It's all good. The point of the discussion is, the OP needs to be sure he has personal liability coverage to protect his assets should the worse case scenario occur. That total will be different depending on your personal situation.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote