Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2015, 05:02 PM   #1

Jury Summons

DW. Just got a jury summons. We fulltime. No S&B. Use our daughters address for our mail. We are back in our address area for 2-3 weeks 4 times a year. We are currently in Ennis, Mt. For a month. Now what?
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2015, 05:05 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Just call them John and explain you position in life at the present time.........I am sure they will excuse you.........
Old 07-20-2015, 05:14 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Explain your situation.. And ask them if you can do a walk in... ( on a walk in all you need to do is walk into any court house in your county within a year and tell them your available to sit..).. Most of the time they have enough and your all set..good luck
Old 07-20-2015, 05:23 PM   #4

this happened to us just the other day...
finally picked up the mail after several months- got all 3 notices(Summons notice, Notice that I had not phoned in, and Second Notice of same) - all this well after the Jury date had come and gone.
I emailed them our situation and said that while we owned land in the area, it was leased out longterm, and we do not reside in the area any longer.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:28 PM   #5

Why should you get out of jury duty anymore than the rest of us?
Old 07-20-2015, 05:34 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In California you can get a permanent exemption if you are over 70. I don't know if other States have age exemptions.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:39 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Why should you get out of jury duty anymore than the rest of us?
Re-read post #1
Full time living on the road is one reason..........
Old 07-20-2015, 05:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Re-read post #1
Full time living on the road is one reason..........
There are only a few reasons you can be excused from jury duty and being a "Full time living on the road" isn't one of them. Being a full timer doesn't relieve a person from their civic duties. If that were the case a lot more people would claim that reason once they found out about it. There are many reasons one must have a "resident" address and this is one of them. I would guess you would have to contact the Court, see what day you are to appear, and Camp out within driving distance of the Court and make your appearance like everyone else. Chances are they don't use you and you can soon resume your travels.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:00 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
There are only a few reasons you can be excused from jury duty and being a "Full time living on the road" isn't one of them. Being a full timer doesn't relieve a person from their civic duties. If that were the case a lot more people would claim that reason once they found out about it. There are many reasons one must have a "resident" address and this is one of them. I would guess you would have to contact the Court, see what day you are to appear, and Camp out within driving distance of the Court and make your appearance like everyone else. Chances are they don't use you and you can soon resume your travels.
I do not agree Mike........Juror Qualifications | United States Courts
Quote:
The Jury Act also allows courts to excuse a juror from service at the time he or she is summoned on the grounds of "undue hardship or extreme inconvenience."
Old 07-20-2015, 06:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I do not agree Mike........Juror Qualifications | United States Courts
Quote:
The Jury Act also allows courts to excuse a juror from service at the time he or she is summoned on the grounds of "undue hardship or extreme inconvenience."
Look on the back of the notice, the reasons for dismissal are listed. The hardships are normally due to caring for others, or loss of wages that would create the "extreme inconvenience". Being out on the road enjoying a life style is not an excuse from civic duty, or an "extreme inconvenience". In reality most people never want to go to jury duty and even if you live in a house it's an inconvenience.

They may grant an extension if they are "out of town" but they would still require them to appear at a later date. Either way trying to get out of Jury Duty just because you are a full timer is just making excuses, and according to your example stretching the truth. Every Citizen is subject to being called to jury, and being a full timer is not an excuse for dismissal.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:19 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
To be legally qualified for jury service, an individual must:

• be a United States citizen;
  • be at least 18 years of age;
  • reside primarily in the judicial district for one year;
  • be adequately proficient in English to satisfactorily complete the juror qualification form;
  • have no disqualifying mental or physical condition;
  • not currently be subject to felony charges punishable by imprisonment for more than one year; and
  • never have been convicted of a felony (unless civil rights have been legally restored)

The OP does not meet this qualification........high lighted above........
I also agree with the duty thing, but not when I have to drive thousands of miles and cost a lot of money out of my pocket to do it.

To the OP , call the Clerk at the Court house and talk to them.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:26 PM   #12

Again just an excuse that is stretching the truth and making your own interpretation of the law. This makes all full timers/ Rv'rs look like they are trying to skirt the system. That's why you have a "residence" on record, ie where you register your vehicle / where you pay your taxes, mailing address ect, you have to list somewhere and that is what the courts will rely on. All they need to do is contact the court and arrange for another date if they are unable to show due to traveling. Eventually they should have to serve just like everyone else.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:41 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The last person I would want on "my" jury is someone who doesn't want to be there and was forced to be there.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
The last person I would want on "my" jury is someone who doesn't want to be there and was forced to be there.
Well that would be the majority of the people on any jury, and most are "forced"(if that's what you want to call it). People go because they respect their Civic responsibilities, and appreciate the fact they live in a Free Country that has rights. Most don't really want to be there, and wouldn't just show up unless they were served with a summons. Having worked in and retired from the profession, it is those people who accept their responsibilities that make the system work.