Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2016, 07:04 AM   #1

Question Just Being Curious

My wife and hope to be retired and living in an RV fulltime by the end of this summer, or as soon as the house sells, whichever comes first. Our Nexus Phantom 32P is on order and is supposed to be ready in May. We currently live in NC but will be declaring Florida as our permanent domicile. Four of our reasons for becoming full-timers are our grandchildren, ages 2-6 (and their parents, of course). They are located in NC, GA, and FL. We figured the best way to be able to see them all on a regular basis is to become full-timers. Enough of that, though. Now for my real question.

I’ve read a lot about being careful not to approach full-timing as being on a long vacation, trying to see a great deal all at once. I’m wondering about how far you (full-timers) travel each month or year, how long do you typically stay in one place before moving on, do you try to follow the weather, how much “workamping” do you do, if any, etc. I realize there is no right or wrong answer, and that there are many variables and opinions here. I’m just curious, not trying to start a debate.

My wife and I would like to be able to say that we visited all 48 contiguous states plus Alaska before we have to hang up our GPS, but we also want to take plenty of time to “smell the roses” along the way and truly enjoy this wonderful country we live in. We are praying that God will give us enough years together to accomplish that goal.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
kmburns49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2016, 07:39 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmburns49 View Post
I’m wondering about how far you (full-timers) travel each month or year, how long do you typically stay in one place before moving on, do you try to follow the weather, how much “workamping” do you do, if any, etc.
Most of the places at which I stay have a two week limit and I generally stay that long. If it were left to me, I would not travel very far (50-100 miles) except to migrate to/from warmth. However; it seems like there is always something pulling me in some direction - work, retirement parties, weddings, etc.

Quote:
...not trying to start a debate.
Ha!! Good one - seems like there is always someone that attempts to turn every topic into a debate!!
Old 02-24-2016, 09:08 AM   #3

We workamp or volunteer 7-8 months a year and travel the rest. It helps keep the camping and fuel costs down. My ideal would be a 4 month summer position at Steamboat Lake CO and a 4 month winter position at Yuma AZ. I know this will start an argument, but the East Coast with all the big cities, traffic and high camping costs does not appeal to me.

To really see America, you need to travel the back roads. Join the moose, Eagles. Elk and VFW. Stop and have a beer with the members and you can learn about the area and what you need to see. Some also have RV parks or will let you dry camp in the lot.

Last year, we spent the winter in Garner State Park TX, the summer at Steamboat Lake, part of the winter in Mississippi, and are now in California. That is more traveling than we usually do, but could not pass up a job in MS.

What ever you do, enjoy your travels!!
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:12 AM   #4

we're not 'retired' per se, but work from our coach. 48k miles in 18+ months, 47 states(sorry N Dakota)... have traveled daily, stayed at parks for several days, sometimes a week, and several times several months(ClearwaterFL beach and HiawasseeGA mountains)...
and, visit the parents and kids sometimes too!
(we still have two teens with us)
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:35 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
We live in Canada on the west coast just east of Vancouver B.C. and stay there for 6 months of the year (Oct. - Apr. ) and travel thru Canada in the summer months.
No offence to travelling in the U.S.A. but with the Canadian dollar so low and medical insurance it is costly to wander thru the U.S.
We usually travel no more than 150 to 200 mile a day when travelling and usually stop 2-4 days at a spot and use it as a center point and explore the area.
We do a lot of boondocking and find our cost are where we can enjoy the means of looking over an area before moving on.
This year we wish to travel the Al-Can Hwy and take in some of the northern scenery.
We have fulltiming it now for going on 3 years and enjoy the company of the different people we meet in all the fantastic places we have stayed.
Hope this lifestyle is what you will enjoy as is only what you make of it.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:13 AM   #6

We sold the house in 2013 and been on the road since. Traveled about 19K over 33 states, mostly in the west. We return to our home base for a month in both spring and fall for medical appts. and visiting. Otherwise, we rarely stayed in one spot for a week or more. Our preferred camping style is public parks and boondocking, pretty much taking a "seat-of-the-pants" approach in travel times and destinations.

This winter is the first time that we have begun to lengthen our stops. This is our first visit to Florida and we find it is not as easy to "freestyle" through the state (especially the south half) as we like due to so many snowbirds. This was not a problem during our previous winters in Texas and the southwest. RV'ing in the eastern US is a bit different than the west. For one, it seems more folks the bigger rv's tend to park for longer periods.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:26 AM   #7

At least part of it depends where you are. In denser places like the NE there is a lot more to do and see in a couple of hours out of base camp so longer stays make sense. Weather can also be an issue as in it may pay to get into position to run north once spring is sprung then slowly wander south staying ahead of the really bad weather.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:45 AM   #8

We plop down the RV, explore with the toad for all adventures and new experiences within 100 miles. Then we do so again, always moving with good weather.
Let the Journey be Your Destination

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:22 AM   #9

We seemed to concentrate on approximately three states during a season; sometimes only one though. Of course, to get to those states you have to travel through others and we've acquired favorites in each state so we might spend some time at a favorite before continuing onward. It depends on what kind of activities/places you like to explore. You'll find your own pace. Everyone is different.

For Alaska we took the whole summer, exploring Canada and the Yukon, also.

We didn't volunteer in parks all the time and mostly for a two-month period of time. We picked spots where we really wanted to 'live' for a while and explore.

Hope you enjoy your new lifestyle! We certainly did.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:04 PM   #10

Create a plan and be flexible. Everyone is different. You will find your way.

Sent from somewhere in the USA
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:01 AM   #11

You don't mention if you have any RV experience or not. I'm asking because full time isn't for everyone. And not trying to be a dark cloud on your plans, but a 32' will get smaller & smaller as you travel around. Don't get me wrong it can and is being done, but your comfort & storage will be limited. We've been full time since 2010 and wouldn't change a thing, traveling from Maine to Ca., Fl. to Alaska, and many places in between. We're never in a hurry to get anywhere. Our main destinations are north in the summer, south in the winter. It's a fun way to live. Just take the good with the bad, with the bad being just part of the adventure. The biggest surprise for us is looking back and trying to figure out where almost 6yrs. have gone.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:08 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
My wife and I would like to be able to say that we visited all 48 contiguous states plus Alaska before we have to hang up our GPS, but we also want to take plenty of time to “smell the roses” along the way and truly enjoy this wonderful country we live in. We are praying that God will give us enough years together to accomplish that goal.
This paragraph describes what we have been doing for the past 4 years, heading into year 5 now with only 4 states left to visit. Without repeating some of the good advice already given, perhaps you'd like to take a look at our blog to see if anything there is helpful.

Happy travels, you're in for quite an adventure!
www.LowesTravels.com
sdlowe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:58 AM   #13

The way I plan my itinerary is around fixed events like holidays and family birthdays I need to attend. Once certain dates and locations are linked, I end up doing a loop to a distant location with the return stops somewhat planned. I try to go a different direction each time. Last year, I did loops (centered around Illinois because of nieces' weddings) to Portland, OR, then Portland, ME, and then Moab, UT. I'm currently in TX and just got an email stating the next niece's wedding is in 100 days in Door County, Wisconsin and then I'm hopefully done with weddings for a long time.

I say be ambitious at the start, because as time goes on you'll slow down and develop your own rhythm.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:01 AM   #14

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my original post so far. Please keep them coming.

Yes, we realize that 33' is not much space, especially with 3 dachshunds, but we're willing to give it a go. Wife doesn't want a Class A, and we couldn't afford a Super-C. Besides, we spend most of our inside time in the den or bedroom anyway.

Another question to ponder: Any rhyme or reason to your route planning, even if it's just the temperature, or are you totally driven by wanderlust?
(Wow. cwsqbm beat me to my question! Cool.)