Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2014, 08:20 AM   #1

Keeping your tv, and RV clean

I'm getting ready to go full-time in a couple of weeks. One of the things I'm wondering about is how am I going to keep my Pickup clean? I mean the last time the DW and myself pulled into a nice RV Park, it seemed like it was a truck show and shine competition. I mean my truck was the only one caked in a thick cloak of heavy dust. I mean most of the guys at one point during the day was polishing their rigs. I felt like I was the spectacle of the RV park. You know, that guy that has that really nice truck that is filthy from being on the road.

I'm a retired mechanic and worse than that military. So usually my truck and everything I own is perfectly clean, and maintained. Most CG's won't let you wash your TV or TT in the park. Coin wash do not cut it. What do you guys do to keep your vehicles so darn clean? I'm not kidding. My truck was the only dirty one in the park. It bummed me out. Thanks for your suggestions.
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2014, 08:27 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
A tip: drive through car wash! Just got back from Taos, NM, and drove it through the car wash there, and again when we got home.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:27 AM   #3

Some parks allow you to wash your RV and truck, some do not. For those that do not I simply use a bucket of plain water, maybe add a little vinegar, and a lambs wool mitt. They don't mind if your not using a hose. Doesn't make it "sparkle" but will make it look a lot better.
I've spot cleaned the MH the same way.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:32 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I take our jeep to the car wash. I use a lot of spray and wipe car detailed on the Motorhome, pretty good stuff. Lots of RV parks will let an approved RV washing company wash your RV in your spot. Where I am at now, they want $100 to $150 for a wash of my 42 foot Motorhome. Some will even let you wash your own, just ask first.

Scott
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:42 AM   #5

clean rv with “dri wash n guard” use ultra. Does not need water. Puts shine back on. order online
flcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:50 AM   #6

Thanks for the info everybody.
RVM #104
Old 07-30-2014, 11:51 AM   #7

We have used Dri Wash n Guard in the past, we've switched to another waterless product, Wash Wax All by Aero Cosmetics. It was invented for airplanes. It was recommended to us by an acquaintance that owned an rv repair shop for over 30 years. In the initial purchase you get a long pole so you can reach the highest part of the rv. You can see videos on their website. Our rv has never been washed with water, well, other than when it sat on the dealer's lot for 3 months. When it rains, it just beads up, we use it on the truck too. Great product. We've never been told "no" to a request to use it. When we are traveling and stop for the day, spray water on the front cap, bugs come right off. We don't have a relationship with the company or sell it, just think it's a great product.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by flcountryboy View Post
clean rv with “dri wash n guard” use ultra. Does not need water. Puts shine back on. order online
Where can I find that stuff?
RVM #104
Old 07-30-2014, 01:29 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I keep my TV in the MH and it stays clean, lol But the Toad can get to be a real mess. Car washes take off the big pieces and a bucket and rag finish it up. I all way spend a week or 2 in ABQ. the Octopus Car Washes there do a great job on the Toad, Wish the MH would fit, it gets a wash and wax when we reach the RGV..
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:11 PM   #10

Keeping your tv, and rv clean

I like my vehicles shiney, but futility gets in my way. In the desert, a morning dew and a quick gust of wind makes for another coat of kittylitter dust. A bit of rain during a journey makes it's own value-adding layer of patina ala road grime.

We were in an RV park near Tucson AZ and went off-road with the Wrangler two days in a row. We had a grand time! 😄👍✌️
The neighbor washed, waxed, and buffed his Wrangler for those two days. He never took it off-road. All of that pent up ability and all it did was shine! 😳
I hosed ours off at the self-wash joint, but dont know why. Got it dirty again the next day.

In Yuma, we had two guys hand wash and hand wax our MH and Wrangler for $120 in about 4 hours. Our neighbor there did the same on his all week and never left the park. And then it rained. 😟

Just different joys, different priorities, I guess. 😉

Happy trails, folks!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:54 PM   #11

Don't go to such upscale RV parks! We never feel the way you do if our rigs are not spotless. It just means that we're out there having fun - not wasting time cleaning. We boondock and use national forest parks, national parks, state parks and go 4-wheeling. We always seem to be dirty. We'll clean - by hand - if we get a chance but we really don't worry about what others think.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:02 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer3025 View Post
...... One of the things I'm wondering about is how am I going to keep my Pickup clean? ..........my truck was the only one caked in a thick cloak of heavy dust. I mean most of the guys at one point during the day was polishing their rigs.......My truck was the only dirty one in the park.......

They have drugs now for that kind of obsession.

You're on the road. Things get dirty. That's life. Deal with it.

;-)
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:59 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Me I don't worry. Have a beer or 2 relax. Maybe it will rain if not I can clean it tomorrow
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
They have drugs now for that kind of obsession.

You're on the road. Things get dirty. That's life. Deal with it.

;-)
Yeah, I don't think I'll let $ 80,000 worth of pickup and trailer go to pot. Not my style.
RVM #104