Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2015, 08:31 PM   #29

Congrats! Where is your first assignment?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2015, 11:44 PM   #30

My wife and I are both in our mid-30's and will be hitting the road really soon with our daughter(3 going on 12) and three dogs. We just secured our TV and FW for the journey and are looking forward to meeting more likeminded folks on the road.

2015 Big Country 3596 RE
2011 F350 CC Lariat DRW
norcalgundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:08 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurg View Post
Congrats! Where is your first assignment?

My first assignment was 3 years ago. But this Jan will be my first as a fulltimer! No more crazy rent prices for sub-par apartments!
jimmy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:54 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12 View Post
My first assignment was 3 years ago. But this Jan will be my first as a fulltimer! No more crazy rent prices for sub-par apartments!

Ah, I see! Wife is starting her first assignment a week from today. While planning this out we decided that bringing our home with us would be the easiest route to take, especially with our dogs.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:52 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurg View Post
Ah, I see! Wife is starting her first assignment a week from today. While planning this out we decided that bringing our home with us would be the easiest route to take, especially with our dogs.
Congrats on her first assignment! What made you guys decide 5er over MH?
jimmy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:52 AM   #34

Thanks!

We chose a fiver as they have much more space when deployed, they are more affordable, and I still have a truck to use when we are parked as well as when we decide we aren't traveling anymore. It just made sense for us.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:54 PM   #35

We just bought our new TV and have a plan to buy our 5er next year. I'm an OR nurse at a trauma center and have a five year plan to full time while doing travel nursing. Don't know what DH will do if anything but I'm so ready to live a vagabond life and not be so invested in one facility or its politics. Knowing its a temporary assignment will help me do that. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1449176047.695775.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	113286
kwayRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:38 AM   #36

Congrats!

Nice lookin rig too!
Old 12-16-2015, 05:43 PM   #37

I am 29 and my wife is 28. I am an occupational therapist and my wife is a speech language pathologist and we have both signed on with a medical travel company. No kids yet and we will be full timing starting February 1st. Just purchased our first Travel Trailer ever. We have never done this before and are really looking forward to traveling and the experience of full timing. The pay is substantially better with travel and it will allow us to pay off our student loans much quicker. We will likely be full timers for a couple of years before we settle down and start our family. We figured it was now or never so we chose to go out on a limb and give it a shot!
RedWolves79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:31 PM   #38

Right?!?! The park we are at for this assignment is primarily people that are probably at least 35+ years older than us. When we describe what we are doing, the majority of responses is something along the lines of "you guys are doing it right. We screwed up by waiting until retirement age."

Congrats on your exciting new adventure!
Old 12-19-2015, 06:51 AM   #39

Hi Jimmy12! I, too, am tired of sub-par apartments or having to find my own lodging. In the last 2 years I have spoken with other travelers at the facilities I work and they are living in RVs, too. It's great to share info--
Old 12-19-2015, 10:46 AM   #40

Hopefully Soon

We in the planning phase, hoping to hit the road in 12-18 months. My wife and I are in our mid-30's and we have three little adventurers. Our daughter is currently 4 1/2 years old and her two brothers are 3 and 1 1/2. I see the trend of young medical professionals here, which is great! My wife is an ER physician assistant, who will take a break from working as we acclimate to the new lifestyle and homeschooling the kids. (We would already be FTing if it weren't for those pesky student loans that needed both of our paychecks) I am an airline pilot which means I do have to leave for several days at a time, but it is great that I can get to work from any major airport. During the busy months, when I work a lot, we will stay parked close to the helping hands of our parents in the southwest, then explore the country during the months I don't work much.

We have also decided on a 5er for the living space and cost and a TV no bigger than Ram 3500/F450 DRW. Not sure yet if we will get a TH or bunkhouse. can't wait to join everyone.
Capt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:57 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderGirl View Post
Hi Jimmy12! I, too, am tired of sub-par apartments or having to find my own lodging. In the last 2 years I have spoken with other travelers at the facilities I work and they are living in RVs, too. It's great to share info--
WanderGirl, my wife is an RN, and we're planning on hitting the road like u have. I'll be 47, and her 40, in march. Any helpful hints I can pass along to her, as a traveling nurse? She works full time at a hospital in Portland, but we are leaving the area, and moving to either SoCal, or Texas.

How has your travel nursing experience been? Thanks for any advice u can give!
duallyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 05:12 AM   #42

There are a few things with traveling. First, if she has experience in 2 different areas, say ICU and ER, make sure she signs up with her agencies as both. It will really open up job opportunities. Just rotate assignments ICU first then ER.

A couple of great travel RN resources: Highway Hypodermics (rates travel companies), Bluepipes has a great blog; everything there is to know about traveling, taxes, how agencies pay etc. they have a free download that will guide her about negotiating her pay-and a site where you can connect with other travelers and recruiters.

I love traveling and have been traveling/per diem for over 10yrs--this is my second round (first was BC--before children). It is an awesome experience.

If there is anything specific that you'd like to know, PM me.

Tags
full time, full timer