Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppie View Post
Okmunky, do you work with someone there? If so, is it someone you would recommend and suggest? .
I use a mail forwarding service, wwwmyhomeaddressinc.com They handle my vehicle licensing, handicapped parking permit, voter registration and absentee balloting also. I only need to return to South Dakota to renew my driver's license every 4 or 5 years. They are in the tiny town of Emery, SD which keeps my insurance rates low. It costs me $125/year plus mailing cost. SD has no state income tax.

SD, FL and TX are the states that most full-timers use.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Oppie,

The Palomino Puma 39 PFK is listed as a "park model". I'm not sure what that means. Perhaps it is not designed for frequent travel? You might want to check that out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Park Models make a trip via a Large truck to a park where they are Installed and that is it. They are not designed for over the road travel.

barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #18

Now, that is very interesting info indeed on the 39 PFK. It was my assumption that since it had holding tanks, just about any trailer park could take it - although it would take a 1 ton vehicle to tow it. The dealer knows that I plan on moving it approximately every 6 months, and didn't say anything about no over the road travel. Is this another caveat emptor situation? Oh, and thanks for the info on the mail forwarding.
Oppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Spending 6 months in one spot will likely qualify you as a state resident. In that case its makes sense to register the trailer and pay the taxes in the state where you're spending the majority of your time. Check local laws, but that would be my take on it.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
That is a travel trailer, not a conventional park model. I'm not sure why they call it a park model, but they do. So a large truck should be able to move it. But, if you don't have a truck yourself, then it is back to the fact that you aren't traveling, so someone in the park could call about it. What states are you looking at? A lot of states now have a 'reward' system for people who call in about vehicles with out of state licenses.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #21

Quote:
makes sense to register the trailer and pay the taxes in the state where you're spending the majority of your time. Check local laws, but that would be my take on it.
Quote:
What states are you looking at?
These are on my "To Do" list (which is rather long) as well as planning the moves around the time frames of residency. But, since I am planning on a Montana LLC at this point, it wouldn't be so bad heading out there first.

Quote:
That is a travel trailer, not a conventional park model. I'm not sure why they call it a park model, but they do. So a large truck should be able to move it.
Whew! Had me a bit concerned there. The reason for the 41' Puma is the washer/dryer installed and the floor plan that fits a studio/office scenario for hobbies. Try as I may, I could not find a shorter travel trailer with the installed washer/dryer (which left over from my home owner days I find a must for self sufficiency).
Old 09-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Couple of points:

How disabled are you, and how well can you move around the RV? RVs generally require some outside attention, so you need to be able to move about and do a few things.

If you are not able to get around too well, you might have a hard time finding a park that meets all of your needs. I would encourage you to research that end of things a bit more. Make sure that you have some parks in your target areas that will accomplish what you want to.

There is a big depreciation on RV's and probably even a smaller market for what you are describing. If this plan does not work out, can you afford to take a loss and make a change?

I know nothing about hiring a private hauler to move my rig, that is something I would want to know a lot more about.

I would plan on staying in the area of the dealer longer if you expect to have them make repairs.
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #23

I have diabetic neuropathy in my feet with the problem of taking meds that can make me unpredictably dizzy - the reason for not driving. So, though my movement is somewhat restricted, it is not totally debilitating.

You make some good points for me to keep in mind, Dave1956. I am thinking long term on the trailer, but always want a back door. Will put whatever I find on the leasing and hauling on this forum when my plans are complete so that others can benefit on what seems to be fairly new ground.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Oopie,

Have you tried different meds? I also live with severe neuropathetic pain, not diabetic, but controlled enough that I can drive for 2-3 hours at a time. As a full-timer, losing driving is my greatest fear.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #25

iRV2 No Limits Club
Oopie,

One other thought -- Enter this liofstyle DEBT FREE if you can. We were not good money managers when we were working, and for once I followed others advice. Overall, it was the best advice we ever recieved about full timing.

I am also disabled with diabetes, among other things, and honestly have found the smaller evvironment of a 240 square feet trailer actually EASIER to live in than a 1500 square foot house. Everything is easier to reach, there are no long "trips," say from the bathroom to/from the bed, and there is generally a decent handhold close by.

Everything is NOT going to go as planned. Be flexible.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #26

Quote:
Have you tried different meds?
Oh yeah. The list is long, but that is a whole 'nother story which includes other pills for maladies with males getting older.

And your advice, Dog Folks, is good and duly noted. Thanks.