Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:30 PM   #1

Mail Forwarding

Ok, I need someone to explain exactly how a mail forwarding service works?

I am looking into the GoodSam mail forwarding service because of all the options.

What I understand is that you forward all your mail to the service and then the service will send it to a location you are at. My question is , do I understand this right and the how does it work involving campgrounds or how and where would you receive the mail. Does campgrounds work with you, say holding mail for your arrival if you call ahead, or how?

Confused

Tom

Tom222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #2

You have it right as to how it works. You'll pay for your forwarding service plus the cost of mailing.

Some RV parks will hold it for us but you'll always need to check beforehand. Some will not, especially any public parks.

We always have ours sent to a nearby 'small' P.O. in care of General Delivery. They'll hold it for one month, I believe. We have our service send it a few days before our arrival at a campground and it's waiting for us. It's shipped Priority and takes 2-4 days. We've never had a problem but you need to have it sent to a small P.O., not a bigger city where there are multiple post offices.

We've used Escapees for 16 years of full-timing and never a problem.

Escapees RV Club

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:34 AM   #3
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you are a fulltime RVer the mail forwarding company's address becomes your legal place of residence for tax, insurance, drivers licenses, vehicle tags, voting, Etc. Most RVers choose SD, TX or FL because of no state income tax.

I handle all of my bills online or direct debit from my checking acct. I chose the paperless billing option on my credit cards. They send me an email when I have a new statement. I then login and pay online.

if you are not fulltime and have a legal residence that isn't on wheels you might just want the Post Office to hold your mail. This is a good option if you get magazines as they are expensive to remail if you get several.

Another option is to have your mail sent to someone you trust. All my Social Security mail goes to my daughter. She opens it and calls me if there is something I need to know. I have gotten my mail down to very little and the forwarding company discards all the junk mail.

I use My Home Address, INC because they are in a very small town. My insurance is cheaper than it would be if I used a big city company.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:35 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You have it right as to how it works. You'll pay for your forwarding service plus the cost of mailing.

Some RV parks will hold it for us but you'll always need to check beforehand. Some will not, especially any public parks.

We always have ours sent to a nearby 'small' P.O. in care of General Delivery. They'll hold it for one month, I believe. We have our service send it a few days before our arrival at a campground and it's waiting for us. It's shipped Priority and takes 2-4 days. We've never had a problem but you need to have it sent to a small P.O., not a bigger city where there are multiple post offices.

We've used Escapees for 16 years of full-timing and never a problem.

Escapees RV Club
We receive mail at campgrounds we are staying at or use general delivery at the local Post Office-just depends on the situation. We have even used general delivery in a town we were just passing thru-not even staying at. 7 years FTing with never having a problem. Using a small P. O. as suggested is good because it avoids having to figure out what P.O. in the bigger towns actually get your general delivery mail.

One caution on General Delivery. It turns out they don't have to hold for 30 days or allow for 30 days of general delivery use. While this seems to be the norm, we ran into a small town PO that said they would hold and accept for 10 days only. I questioned that and was told it was set by the post master. I then followed up with US Post Office headquarters, and was told that is correct-the regs allow the local post master to set the general delivery guidelines for their post office.

We usually always call the local PO in advance when we are having general delivery sent to them. Especially in the small towns we use, it's not that common for them-and they seem to really appreciate the heads up-taking down your name and telling you they will sure keep an eye out for it. I think it avoids problems of just accidentally getting returned by a clerk who knows every name in town-and doesn't recognize yours. If you don't give them too much detail about why, it also gives them lots of time to try and figure out if a new person is moving in, who you might be visiting in the area, etc LOL
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #5
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some Post Offices are contract facilities and cannot accept General Delivery. I ran into this at Bryce Canyon City, UT. Always call any Post Office before arranging to have your mail sent there and make sure you get the correct zip code.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:02 AM   #6

We use MyRVmail has worked for us for 3 years no problems. They are in Florida so you have Florida residence. You can change your mail to address online. We do a lot of hosting in state parks and they allow us to send the mail directly to the park. You do have to fill out a postal form 1583 for the any mail service this allows the service to receive your mail.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:21 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
One thing that is not obvious from any of the other comments here is that when you use a forwarding service, you don't get mail forwarded individually.

You don't "forward" you mail to the MFS. You change your address with DMV, credit cards, etc. Your only address is the MFS. So all your mail goes there and they store it. Then, when you tell them to, they package it all up in one envelope or box, and ship that to you wherever you tell them to. I've used the campground address, and also General Delivery at a post office nearby or on our way to the next destination.

Use of a MFS is not something you can turn on/off like USPS forwarding. It all goes to the MFS until you change your address of record with all the companies or agencies that are sending mail to you. And when you stop using the MFS, they're not allowed to use USPS mail forwarding to send it to your new address. You will need to continue to pay the MFS until they are no longer getting any mail for you.

We use Escapees MFS in Texas.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:35 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are Escapees members and use there mail service in Texas. Only problem with Texas residency is the Texas legislators recently passed a law that you have to have a vehicle state inspection within 90 days of applying for the vehicle license tag. Creates a problem to get new tags if you are out of state.

Escapees and several other groups are aware of the problem and working on a solution before it becomes law in 2015.

Ken
Old 04-10-2014, 05:06 PM   #9
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
We are Escapees members and use there mail service in Texas. Only problem with Texas residency is the Texas legislators recently passed a law that you have to have a vehicle state inspection within 90 days of applying for the vehicle license tag. Creates a problem to get new tags if you are out of state.

Escapees and several other groups are aware of the problem and working on a solution before it becomes law in 2015.

Ken
Another reason why I chose South Dakota for my domicile. They require no vehicle inspections.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Another reason why I chose South Dakota for my domicile. They require no vehicle inspections.
SD has a lot going for it for a full-timer domicile, unless you need health insurance. The insurance options there are pretty bad.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:22 PM   #11

we use myhomeaddress for are forwarding service also. we have used them for going on 7 years and no problems. moving to SD helped us with our health insurance because of the lack of PPO providers it eliminated our out of network deductible so we only have to meet our network deductible. also, we just purchased a new 5th wheel in texas and only had to pay the 3% excise tax in SD. one thing I am dealing with now is jury duty. I was summoned but did not receive my notice in time so I received a failure to appear notice. I called the courts today and was told to write a letter asking to be excused from duty because I am a full timer not residing in SD. will see what happens.
rfhtlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:27 PM   #12
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Being a FT RVer is an automatic exemption from SD jury duty. Once you explain that you did not receive the notice on time, all will be forgiven. Mine was.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:44 PM   #13

it is not automatic as my wife was denied her request last year. apparently the judge that year was not excusing anyone. she received a summons and failure to appear letter but fortunately there was a mail snafu and lots of people did not get their notice so they excused her. I sent my request to be excused yesterday and received an email today excusing me from duty. mine was for grand jury and my wife's was for circuit court.
rfhtlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #14

We use MyDakotaAddress and Terri provides a great service. There are several levels of service and we pay for "on demand' meaning we can have our mail sent when ever we want. We provide the address. Most public parks like state parks will not accept personal mail. We have found that most of the campgrounds we have stayed at also did not accept mail or we did not feel they treated it in a secure manner. We usually have ours sent to a general delivery post office. A mail forwarding service will take care of much more than forwarding mail. Terri will take care of registering our vehicles and helping with other issues like jury duty. Madison, SD is a small town and Terri has a great working relationship with the people at the courthouse.

jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote