Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2012, 12:13 AM   #1

Making a huge mistake??? TH w/out truck

My wife and I are preparing to start full timing next May; however I'm still finishing law school, and we'll need about a year after that for me to get licensed and set up my mobile legal office. So here's the question:

We want a TH for our family (one little girl, one more planned) but only plan to park it for most of the first year, making few travels as we both set up our internet based businesses... so, until we are able to get on the road full time, are we crazy to think it's an okay idea to buy a TH, park it in our favorite RV park, and only rent a truck when we need to move it for travels?

Though excited about this next step in our lives, we're new to this, and likely have naive expectations. Any guidance will be much appreciated! Thanks!
huntpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2012, 02:49 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We once met a couple that owned a 5ver and hired someone else to move it every time. They did not own a vehicle big enough to tow their rig and had no intention of doing so. I have no idea how it worked but that was their circumstance by choice.

There may be an issue of length of stay at some parks; I know some of the places we stay have a six month limit.

I believe I have read in these threads about styaing more thatn six months changes your tax status?? You might check laws regarding length of stay in RV's?

Would it not be just the same to rent an apartment for a year, then buy the TH when you are completely prepared to do so?
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:23 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You won't be able to rent a truck capable of hauling a TH 5er. You can hire people to tow the trailer.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies! We are still considering renting, but don't want to sink any more $ into something we don't own, and we want to get rid of most of our stuff sooner than later. Having to hire someone to move it is a pretty big consideration though. Taxes are less of a concern since we want to be domiciled In the state (Texas) our favorite park is is in.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To be specific, it is not a huge mistake to buy a TH without a truck as there are many options.

But "mistake" is a relative trerm based on your circumstances which only you know for sure. It could be a big mistake, but what the heck you are young, obviously excited about this and at an age where you are going to weather some mistakes no matter what is said here.

Have you considered the depeciation of your TH in your financial pros and cons?

Have you ever lived in the confines of a TH for an extended length of time?

Have you considered the cost in a years time of getting a vehicle that will tow the TH if you want that option?

Have you considered; well only you know what it is you have considered.

As to naievity, of course you are it comes with being young and excited. It is a great time in your life live it to it's fullest.

NIKE sells a ton of over priced sneakers saying "just do it". I think they are talking to you and your generation.

Mistake? Would it be a mistake in your minds not to do it and wish you had years later.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I spend much of my time in Membership parks.. The big one I spend time in (And many private parks) have porters who can move a trailer from campsite to storage lot and back.

Since this is a 1st come 1st serve park,, (You pick a site when you get there) You pull in in your family grocery getter,, Pick a site, park a few bodies on it or bike to the store, Register the site and the porter is called to bring your trailer.

Some members had the dealer deiiver the trailer to the park sales lot or a short term parking lot in the park where the park porter picked it up and have NEVER hooked a tow vehicle to it themselves, have not even a clue as to how to tow it.

Suggestion is check with the place you plan to park and use it.. They may offer this kind of service Then when you get ready to "Hit the road" Get a good size tower, like a Trail Hauler, and .. Enjoy.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #7

Great advice, thanks all!
Old 06-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We sold our TT last year to a family that doesn't have truck. Be it a regular TT or Toyhauler, doesn't really matter. Of course, that's assuming that you have checked ToyHauler 5th Wheel rigs off your shopping list...because that's a more complicated
tow truck.

Towable RV's with a conventional trailer hitch can be towed by most rental trucks. Our buyers have already settled into the fulltime life. When they want to move it (and they do have to move it because there are County rules about how long an RV can be parked, unless in storage), they just get a rental truck, convoy to the new place and return the truck...pretty cheap.

If you have a resort to park it for the next year - all the better for your weekends and holidays.

On the flip side, a lot can change in a year...you may decide that you would prefer a 5er or maybe even a self propelled Toyhauler instead...like us - See: Outlawrv.com

Best of luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #9

Howdy,

It's not a bad idea however you if you rent a truck from budget or enterprise even if you rented one that was big enough to pull the 5er most of the rental company have a no tow policy or hitches or 5th wheel mounts on there trucks... like the other suggest you can hire someone to do it or rent a place to live in or you can just buy a Class A or B coach many great websites to do so... such as www.rvt.com www.rvonline.com www.rvtraderonline.com www.busesforsale.com type in the advanced search what your looking for and your price you want and length nice coaches at fair price for what your looking for... As for staying in rv parks I agree lots or parks have limits on the length you can stay...
travelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote