Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2017, 11:23 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
Well Said! X-2! Rail!
Never understood all these rather smug shorthand signoffs. thumb, rail, cool.
Why not just say it in English.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2017, 05:32 AM   #58
tcg

There are so many scenarios to explain how someone that did everything right could still end up in dire straights when they reach retirement age.

Here's a thought, why not talk to that Walmart greeter in their 70s or that 68 year old filling your order at McDonalds. You may be surprised how they ended up there.

Plenty of people in their 50s lost their jobs when the economy took a dump and the equity they had in their house had disappeared and there were no jobs to support their 3 kids and wife so they blew through their savings trying to get back on track.

Oh, and when they lost that job they thought they would retire from they also lost their health insurance. Try saving money with out a job, three kids and no health insurance.

It spirals out of control pretty quickly.

Keep in mind they had the three kids when they had a good paying job that they never thought would go away.

And what about a wife who loses her husband? Now she has to figure out how to support those three kids after staying home to raise her kids because her husband had a job that could support everyone.

I'm not saying people don't make poor choices but a couple posters here keep suggesting that if they could do it anyone can.

Anyone can until you're dealt that fatal unexpected blow to your financial stability.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:11 AM   #59

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
There are so many scenarios to explain how someone that did everything right could still end up in dire straights when they reach retirement age.

Here's a thought, why not talk to that Walmart greeter in their 70s or that 68 year old filling your order at McDonalds. You may be surprised how they ended up there.

Plenty of people in their 50s lost their jobs when the economy took a dump and the equity they had in their house had disappeared and there were no jobs to support their 3 kids and wife so they blew through their savings trying to get back on track.

Oh, and when they lost that job they thought they would retire from they also lost their health insurance. Try saving money with out a job, three kids and no health insurance.

Keep in mind they had the three kids when they had a good paying job that they never thought would go away.

And what about a wife who loses her husband? Now she has to figure out how to support those three kids after staying home to raise her kids because her husband had a job that could support everyone.

I'm not saying people don't make poor choices but a couple posters here keep suggesting that if they could do it anyone can.

Anyone can until you're dealt that fatal unexpected blow to your financial stability.
Excellent.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:29 PM   #60

Trying to storytell, the strongest soul and life long friend I have ever met to this day. Smart fellow, like really smart, self employed, in his 30's, married, 4 kids. Daughter -son -
daughter - son. Homeowner, has about 1.5 m in the bank, brain cancer strikes the 1st son, goes through 2 shots of chemo, starts coming back, all is looking up. Then it happens to the second son, this time much more aggressive. No time it takes the second son inside a year. Then the scales tipped again for the oldest son, there was no coming back. I remember him begin to do a 3rd round, everyone knew there was just no way. His son said,, let it go dad.

I lost my friend for nearly a decade, off the reservation he went. I remember the irony of seeing him under an overpass in the dirt self medicating. Where money and suffering don't seem to mean anything.

It wasn't till his father died, that,, re-lite a spark in his soul. He was exuatur and had to deal with it even if he physically felt he was not in the room. It took a decade, but it brought him back on the reservation of life. A Lot of souls would have just thrown in the towel, but he made it back and is prob worth north of 5 m now.

And to this day and for the rest of my life, I will never judge a book by it's cover.

To life, no matter the hand you're dealt.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:39 PM   #61

Quote:

It's poor lifetime choices. Lifetime. Debt, high lifestyle spending. Reckless or careless behavior You set yourself up for failure.
It may sound cold, but excuses are like bellybuttons. We all have one. And I have heard them all firsthand. And it is always not their fault. Always.
Everyone has setbacks in their life. Not just those who end up out of gas in the proverbial old RV at a walmart parking lot.
Hard work, living beneath your means and self reliance are all traits of the vast majority of those with a comfortable older age.
Cold? You bet. But pretty true.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:58 PM   #62

I didn't like the article at all and thought is was very shallow and mainly a hit piece on Amazon and written by a person with one of those subtle swipe social justice viewpoints.

I mean just look at this one Q & A:
Why do Nomads live like this?

We live in a culture where if your number didn’t come up, you’re a bad person, you’re lazy, you should be ashamed of yourself. It eats away at people. It makes them more exploitable.

Now what in the world does that answer have to do with anything about the question? And they're several of these Q & A's like this. IMO, this article is just another written piece of garbage that says, our society sucks under our free market system and look at all the damage around you. And then it started to move against Amazon.

Personally my wife & I have BY CHOICE moved into the Nomatic Lifestyle because we want to see what we've missed all these years with our careers, raising kids and all the like. It's time for the two of us really enjoy each other in brand new ways with uncertainly and excitement at every corner. We have a limited budget, we've planned as well as humanly possible and now we're executing the plan. Nomadic living IMO is the best retirement secret out there.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:17 PM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
Never understood all these rather smug shorthand signoffs. thumb, rail, cool.
Why not just say it in English.
(It is a smilie, look to the right, on a PC not your phone!)
Rail, (My screen name)
( another smilie on the right of your screen, on a PC, not your phone)
And if noticed, I sign of all my post's with the , why? Not being "Smug" I just like it!
OH, and the X-2, (Means I agree with the post that is quoted above It!)
Hope this clears all this up for you?

Rail!
Old 11-14-2017, 09:18 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
(It is a smilie, look to the right, on a PC not your phone!)
Rail, (My screen name)
( another smilie on the right of your screen, on a PC, not your phone)
And if noticed, I sign of all my post's with the , why? Not being "Smug" I just like it!
OH, and the X-2, (Means I agree with the post that is quoted above It!)
Hope this clears all this up for you?

Rail!
Thanks.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:00 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
I didn't like the article at all and thought is was very shallow and mainly a hit piece on Amazon and written by a person with one of those subtle swipe social justice viewpoints.

I mean just look at this one Q & A:
Why do Nomads live like this?

We live in a culture where if your number didn’t come up, you’re a bad person, you’re lazy, you should be ashamed of yourself. It eats away at people. It makes them more exploitable.

Now what in the world does that answer have to do with anything about the question? And they're several of these Q & A's like this. IMO, this article is just another written piece of garbage that says, our society sucks under our free market system and look at all the damage around you. And then it started to move against Amazon.

Personally my wife & I have BY CHOICE moved into the Nomatic Lifestyle because we want to see what we've missed all these years with our careers, raising kids and all the like. It's time for the two of us really enjoy each other in brand new ways with uncertainly and excitement at every corner. We have a limited budget, we've planned as well as humanly possible and now we're executing the plan. Nomadic living IMO is the best retirement secret out there.
I tend to agree about the spin the author puts on his article.
While the nomadic life isn't necessarily everyone's first choice and for some it is an adventure born out of necessity.
For others it is the planned out and can't wait to start adventure of their lifetime.
Either situation or anywhere in between is fine by me. I admire them all.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:26 PM   #66

Born in the 50s......Dad was an independent businessman (oil field welder) that would be gone out on the job for 2-3 months at a time. Mom took care of us kids & ALL finances......invoices for billing Dads hours, accounts/receivables, savings and bill paying.
Every time she sat down at the kitchen table to pay bills she would first make out a check to 'CASH' and that check got deposited in the bank
When I asked her about it she said 'Pay yourself' just like a regular bill that came due.
Thanks to Mom, her savings made it possible for my folks to have money later in life as Dad had no vacation time, no sick time, no pension, no 401K etc. Just SS and savings

And because of Mom's example I started saving from the time I was a paperboy until I retired. Fortunately for me work had a 401K program and matched first 3%.
I contributed MAX amount allowed by IRS each year.
When the industry went thru deregulation I was able to walk away from all those 12Hr rotating shift work and retire just shy of my 50th birthday.......BECAUSE Mom taught me to save, live within my means, go into debt ONLY for a mortgage and be happy regardless of lifes curves/struggles.
Been retired for 14 years........7 years FULL TIMING traveling weekly place to place all across the USA.

Yes we saw many 'resident types' in CGs .....some making the most of their situation and some obviously there because of poor choices in life cause they were still making them.
Poor does NOT mean you are lazy, no good, low lifes unless the reason you are poor is because you were lazy, no good, low lifes

Hard times.....can't think of ONE person I have known/met that hasn't had a hard time............life is tough.
As the old saying does....."If it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all"

People make choices. Some good ones and some not so good. Either learn from those not so good or repeat them.
Seems now a days many 'blame' and refuse to take personal responsibility for their choices.

Sorry, but I don't cotton to that kind of thinking.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:10 AM   #67
tcg

Quote:
It's poor lifetime choices. Lifetime. Debt, high lifestyle spending. Reckless or careless behavior You set yourself up for failure.
It may sound cold, but excuses are like bellybuttons. We all have one. And I have heard them all firsthand. And it is always not their fault. Always.
Everyone has setbacks in their life. Not just those who end up out of gas in the proverbial old RV at a walmart parking lot.
Hard work, living beneath your means and self reliance are all traits of the vast majority of those with a comfortable older age.
I'm going with wow and moving on.

I can't imagine going through life with no understanding for anyone that may have fallen on hard times even after making good lifetime choices.

If only poor people everywhere had access to your wisdom we could eliminate poor people and everyone could live comfortably and retire instead of working til they die.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:58 AM   #68

Quote:
I disagree. Sometimes life makes the poor choices for you! One of my best friends worked hard, saved steadily, was a good person. Fire destroyed his home, wife contracted cancer, even with good health insurance the copays were huge. My friend lost everything financially even though he had planned carefully for his future, fortunately he didn’t lose his wife.

Poor life choices, NO, sometimes s*** just happens and there is nothing you can do about no matter how carefully you plan or what choices you make.

You’re right, life is cold. Hope you have a warm coat!
Old 11-15-2017, 05:14 AM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I'm going with wow and moving on.

I can't imagine going through life with no understanding for anyone that may have fallen on hard times even after making good lifetime choices.

If only poor people everywhere had access to your wisdom we could eliminate poor people and everyone could live comfortably and retire instead of working til they die.
I disagree with your premise that you can't have empathy for the poor, etc. if you think they may be there because of their choices.
Many of us have family members and loved ones that are addicts and we love them and will do anything in our power to help when they are ready for help. This was just an example. I'm not trying to compare the poor and addicts. I'm just saying we can love them even if their own choices put them in a hard spot.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:40 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
What most of the have's don't realize is how close most of them are to becoming have nots.

True true
Closed Thread