Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2017, 09:18 AM   #169
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This has certainly been an interesting discussion with points made on all sides of the issues.

I can only speak to what I believe. I do believe that we are all given the opportunity to make choices in life and poor choices usually lead to poor outcomes. I also believe that while our country is certainly not a perfect place, it is still the country where the most people have the most opportunity. Capitalism has it faults but I believe it is still better than the alternatives.

I was raised in a working class family by parents who taught us respect, responsibility and modeled hard work. We had what we needed but were not given a lot of fluff. I worked on the farm, in my father's radiator shop, and at a local grocery store while in high school. I was expected to pay for my own frills like a beat up car, car insurance, gasoline, and other things not considered the necessities of life. My father died and left my mother in some debt (related to his business and his old-school idea that life insurance was not a critical thing to have). In spite of that, me and my siblings made it through college thru my mother's hard work and our own. One engineer, one doctor and one respiratory therapist-turned-hospital administrator.

From the time I was 15, I volunteered in my local volunteer fire department and volunteer life saving crew. I did that for 25 years. Later in life, I helped start a local chapter of Habitat for Humanity in my area and got very involved in that effort to help the working poor to own homes. I saw and learned a lot in those endeavors, as well as the human triumphs and tragedies I saw in my long career in health care.

My life experiences and faith have led me to believe not only in hard work and responsibility, but in strong believe that some are blessed and some are not. We don't understand why but it is just the way it is. I was blessed to have been raised how I was learning the values and good lessons from my family and life experiences. I don't excuse laziness and making bad choices when better choices are available, but have come to realize how a child is raised makes the difference. Some kids just don't have a chance and never get the kind of parenting and direction needed to understand how to make better choices. It is a sad commentary on the state of our society but it is true.

I have been blessed in my life and am thankful every day for that. I try to be humble and realistic in my understanding of the complexities of the human condition.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #170

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Almost hate to get into this, but here goes:

Our problem right now is the "Me" generation. They have been raised to expect instant gratification in all things. A lot of that is our fault. We raised them that way because the generation that raised us did not have the resources that we do now, and as a result we went without a lot of the things that society adored. I remember Christmases where there were no presents because there was no money for them. So what did I do for my children, I vowed they would never suffer like that and I spoiled them and now they are doing the same with their children.

I see young folks with thousands of dollars worth of electronics and no lunch money. I see them wearing designer jeans and expensive leather jackets. I see them with vehicles they simply cannot afford. I know, they should have been smart enough to figure this out, but they see their class mates with all this stuff, and they want it too. Grandpa and Grandma object, but we're just old fogies that aren't with the times.

I worked throughout my career with lots of minorities. They had the same opportunities and they took advantage and did well. They didn't play the race card, the buckled down and earned what they got.

I guess my point is that this generation was just raised poorly. Not all mind you, but a lot of them. And we did it for the most part.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Closed Thread