Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2014, 06:50 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Medical Care Question

While we do not plan to full time, we do plan to be on the road for 2 -3 months at a stretch.

My DW has rheumatoid arthritis and takes a very expensive injectable biologic drug. She just went on Medicare, we have a D plan and her copay for her first 90 supply was $2,700 (drug store told us it would have been $10K without insurance ). She will go in donut hole and to the catastrophic coverage quickly so hopefully our total OOP costs will be limited.

Her rheumatologist discussed another alternative (he says it will cost us less because Medicare pays more for it) and that is a monthly infusion. She would have to come to the infusion center for the 2 hour procedure. He also said she would have less potential for infections and other complications if she decides to go this route.

Obviously having to go to the infusion center month would restrict our travel. I am wondering if anyone has dealt with this particular issue. I am thinking her rheumatologist can provide a prescription so she can find other infusion centers for treatment as we travel.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2014, 07:40 PM   #2

Good luck with finding these centers in your travels. We were gone two months this winter and DW takes allergy shots. Had all paperwork from allergy doctor plus the serum. We spent days looking for a medical center or physician to administer. Really disappointing but all were concerned about liability issues. Finally found a walk in clinic in Tulsa that gave her shot. We haven't decided how we can travel beyond three week limit with these shots yet.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:49 PM   #3

Our medical issue isn't as serious -- I have numerous allergies and find that allergy serum injections work best to prevent my symptoms. I am in "maintenance" and therefore only need them every 6 weeks. Luckily my home-based allergist provided the documentation and serum (requires refrigeration) that we can take on the road with us. The rest of the trick is finding a doctor every 6 weeks who is in our plan and willing to do the injections. I always have to have a formal "new patient" visit before they'll do the shots and we just have to budget for the extra office visit charges, but it is working for us so far!

Not sure if this info is helpful, but hopefully your doc is as understanding as ours and can help you figure out a way to be mobile and still get the treatment your wife needs.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:07 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I wish it were allergy shots. I took allergy shots for about 12 years and, since they are usually subqutaneous injections, my wife gave them to me. My doc gave me the serum so we were never hampered by those.

I suspect it may be possible to find rheumatology practices that have/use hospital-based infusion centers. However, getting on their schedule might be the issue. She has a good Medicare supplemental plan so that should not be the issue.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:53 AM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to TripleE
Have you talked to her rheumatologist? They might be able to make suggestions. I have RA but use Enbrel because of our extensive traveling. It is just easier to give myself the shot. My insurance pays most of the cost, so I am lucky there. Since it comes via mail order all I have to do is know where I will be the next week and place my order accordingly. I have found that they usually ship it to arrive on the Wednesday, Thursday or Friday the week after I order. It was worked so far.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:57 AM   #6

As a nurse familiar with infusion centers, I would suggest that you call hospitals to see if they have in house infusion services or could suggest any nearby. Also, if you know your itinerary, call or have your doctor call a rheumatologist in the area you will be close to and ask where infusion services are done.
It shouldn't be a big issue for you unless you are way out in the boonies.
When you have identified an infusion center you might use, call ahead and make sure that the documentation you local MD is giving you, is enough to get the infusion you need.
Good luck and hopefully you will be successful.
Selah2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:50 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would LOVE to FT when DH retires. However, I take medication that not every doctor is willing to prescribe plus I have to sign an agreement with my doc that he's the only one I will seek medication from. That means we stop by home once every 90 days. Yes, it will be a pain in he arse, but if it keeps me able to enjoy life, I guess I really have little choice. Have other FTers dealt with this type of issue? It will also preclude any residency changes as well.
Textronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:05 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
While we do not plan to full time, we do plan to be on the road for 2 -3 months at a stretch.

My DW has rheumatoid arthritis and takes a very expensive injectable biologic drug. She just went on Medicare, we have a D plan and her copay for her first 90 supply was $2,700 (drug store told us it would have been $10K without insurance ). She will go in donut hole and to the catastrophic coverage quickly so hopefully our total OOP costs will be limited.

Her rheumatologist discussed another alternative (he says it will cost us less because Medicare pays more for it) and that is a monthly infusion. She would have to come to the infusion center for the 2 hour procedure. He also said she would have less potential for infections and other complications if she decides to go this route.

Obviously having to go to the infusion center month would restrict our travel. I am wondering if anyone has dealt with this particular issue. I am thinking her rheumatologist can provide a prescription so she can find other infusion centers for treatment as we travel.
I just came across your thread and am curious to hear if you found an infusion center in your travels. I too have RA and receive my infusion every 8 weeks. We hope to be snowbirds in 2017 and will be looking for a infusion facility in Florida. I am told by my insurance that it should not be a problem. I currently go to Infusion Solutions and they tell me that they have offices in Florida.
Barbara

tikitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:49 PM   #9

iRV2 No Limits Club
My doc said he would be glad to go with me!!!
WAGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 12:02 AM   #10

Hi,
Best of luck to your DW and to both of you and your travels. My DW and I are also planning more extensive travels while dealing with health issues.
I also have experience with IVIG infusions. Most recently in lovely Kalispell MT. It was a pleasant as this type of procedure could be. They offered me a meal from a exceptional on premise cafeteria each day. Unfortunately my infusions take much longer than two hours.
It’s been my experience that most all hospitals, medical centers as well as other privately operated out patient infusion centers provide this service from prescriptions in most areas. They are very common for people receiving ongoing chemo therapy etc.
Happy Trails.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:26 PM   #11

So has any one had experience with injections for Osteoporosis. Hubby is going to need one every 6 months. Of course the USA is the only country that will not permit self injection of this drug.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:36 PM   #12

Nana25, we had serious issues with wife's allergy shots. Could not find anyone to inject her due to potential liability issues. We traveled with serum in the refrigerator but that did not seem to matter. Finally found an outpatient center where doctor did exam, etc and then gave her the shot. Cost was $50. Copay, but at that point it did not matter. Good luck.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:51 PM   #13

We know full-timers who need to have dialysis as they travel and it's been doable. I would guess if you talk to your doctor and start calling hospitals or clinics where you might stay, there would be a solution.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:47 PM   #14

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana25K View Post
So has any one had experience with injections for Osteoporosis. Hubby is going to need one every 6 months. Of course the USA is the only country that will not permit self injection of this drug.
I do home injections for osteo..get a prescription from your doc. then order online from canadadrugs.com. Legal and if you have to self pay ( I do) a lot cheaper.
good2go is offline   Reply With Quote