Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #15

Reading between the lines, I assume the OP means narcotics. For some people, it's the only solution and there's nothing wrong with that.

I don't know about the US, but in Canada, narcotics (including testosterone) are controlled substances and are highly regulated. The doctors have to follow very specific rules and the pharmacies do too. Also in Canada, when you get a narcotic prescription filled by a doctor, you have 5 days to take it into a pharmacy or it expires. You have to sign the prescription form in front of the pharmacist. If it's covered by a medical plan, they will only pay for refills every month (at least here). I know you can get a 2 month prescription here, but will only be filled a month at a time.

Many doctors in Canada will have nothing to do with narcotics and it can be time consuming to find one that does. Sometimes they advertise they don't but when you talk to them in person, they do. If you were to go into a doctor far away from home, you may be out of luck. And of course, a doctor who does not know you from Adam will likely not give you a prescription.

If it's similar in the US, then you will certainly have difficulties in getting regular ongoing refills. I've often wondered what a person is supposed to do if they are on extended trips or go out of the country for over a month. Maybe you can get special authorization? I *think* the longer you have been taking the same medication, the more likely you are to get special consideration.

Interested in hearing if their is a solution in the US.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryjoe55 View Post
Correction every 3 months Jerry Joe
That is the schedule I am on now, because the doctor has been treating me for 2 years. I also am a retired narcotics investigator and he knows I understand more than most about drug abuse. I guess my only option is to return every 3 months for a check up or stop taking the medication and deal with the pain.

Are you saying after Jan 1 2015, I will have to see him monthly?

Tom
Tom222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Have you asked your doctor? I'm with Kaiser and they will mail me my prescriptions.
What's Kaiser?

Tom
Tom222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom222 View Post
What's Kaiser?

Tom
Kaiser is an HMO I belong to.

Kaiser Permanente - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom222 View Post
I trade with Winn Dixie Pharmacy, which is mostly a southern company. I would most likely change to Walmart because they are nation wide. I plan on talking to my doctor and see if I can see him every 6 months. I'am disabled and hoping medicare does not change anything.

Tom
We use Wallgreens or CVS. Was with Express Scripts but had to much trouble with them. It I more expensive with Walgreens or CVS but I can go into any of them and get my RX filled
guymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
I get a 3 month prescription for my pain meds (Vicodin) and I can get 1 refill. This is through Express Scripts. They mail it to my mail forwarding address. After discussing it with my doctor, he prescribed 4 a day instead of 2 so with my one refill, I get enough to cover me for the year and then return once a year for a new prescription. Talk to your doctor honestly and see what help he can offer.
llmrealestat is offline   Reply With Quote