Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2018, 10:37 AM   #1

Mobile Mechanic - Would You Use One?!

Hi everyone!

Apologies in advance if this isn't the correct forum for this question, but I thought it made the most sense because this question is mainly for other full-timers.

My husband and I are in our 30's and spent most of 2017 living in our fifth wheel after selling our home and we LOVED it! I work remotely so traveling isn't a problem for me, but my husband is an Army Veteran and master mechanic which makes traveling a bit harder on his end. We are very much considering purchasing a toy hauler so he can have a mobile mechanics shop with his tools and have a business on the road. My question is...

If you saw us in your campground (we would have a large magnetic sign on our camper advertising his services) or knew we were headed your way via online forums, would you use his reasonably priced services to have your truck, car, fifth wheel, etc. repaired?

Thank you in advance for your responses!
KaitAndMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2018, 10:50 AM   #2

First off...THANK-YOU for YOUR SERVICE!!!

Mobile mechanic shop....hummmm
Very few CGs allow 'business endeavors' on THEIR property

Few CGs allow 'repairs' to be preformed on site......heck they even get upset if you change oil (which I do understand their reasons for not allowing work/repairs)

Then you have the issue of 'neighbors' not enjoying the machine shop noise/activity going on next door to them ----they went camping to get away from that

CG would probably allow 'emergency repairs' but tough to rely on those situations as a 'business'

Personally I would be leery of using a 'transient business'.......not talking about a mobile service that is established in an area.....but one like you are contemplating where YOU are mobile/on the move. How would I get followup warranty work or hunt you down if issues occurred???

Best of luck.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:52 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
mobile mechanic

Yes I would definitely use this service I had a problem with my fridge called mobile they came and said when they arrived I had to come out of site because off insurance reasons. Then they said would have to order part as they did not carry and would charge another service call to install. the service guy new I was mad because I told him the code that came on the fridge and he said he could fix it. He gave me the part number and said I could order and showed me how to install. Then he showed me how to bye pass the circuit for temp fix as I was heading out next morning and was under warrantee so part free. I called local dealership three of then all said to busy had to make appointment earliest time two to three weeks. I would have lost every thing in fridge and no fridge for awhile, your service would have been great for me. Because of these services we enjoyed our travels.
benderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:08 PM   #4

I would be inclined to use your service if it was something I could not do myself, and hooked up with you via the forum where people could evaluate/review your work. However, as brought up prior I think you would run into problems operating out of a campground as at the very lest, the campground would want their "cut", and at most may refuse to allow you to conduct business on their premises.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by benderdog View Post
Yes I would definitely use this service I had a problem with my fridge called mobile they came and said when they arrived I had to come out of site because off insurance reasons. Then they said would have to order part as they did not carry and would charge another service call to install. the service guy new I was mad because I told him the code that came on the fridge and he said he could fix it. He gave me the part number and said I could order and showed me how to install. Then he showed me how to bye pass the circuit for temp fix as I was heading out next morning and was under warrantee so part free. I called local dealership three of then all said to busy had to make appointment earliest time two to three weeks. I would have lost every thing in fridge and no fridge for awhile, your service would have been great for me. Because of these services we enjoyed our travels.

OPs husband is a Mechanic not an RV Tech....Fridge repairman

Recall Box is available ONLY from Fridge MFG. and MUST be tested/evaluated/replaced by an 'authorized' RV Tech so you would have still been in the same predicament.
No part...no repair...etc
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:39 PM   #6

Thanks everyone for your responses so far! Much appreciated.

In theory - this service would likely appeal to people who are out of warranty, out of time or simply don't have the skillset or tools to repair their truck or RV. He would carry insurance and be a fraction of the cost of other mobile repair shops because it would be convenient work for him without the overhead.

We prefer to stay at state campgrounds (when not boondocking) opposed to privately owned campgrounds - I'm not sure if this makes it easier or not to preform repairs without there being an issue, but I have definitely seen tow trucks, repair trucks and vans, etc. in those campgrounds before. I have checked a few different state camping websites and didn't see any mention of things like this under the "rules" - definitely need to dig a little deeper.
(If staying in a private campground, I think it's reasonable to expect a portion go to them.)

Again - thanks everyone for your input!
Old 12-12-2018, 12:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
OPs husband is a Mechanic not an RV Tech....Fridge repairman
Just for the record - he has worked on RV fridges before. He's a very skilled nuts and bolts repairman. He's worked on RV furnaces, AC units, lifted rigs, wiring, welding, water systems, etc. So this work would include RV repairs as well - not just vehicles. Meanwhile, I can barely change a lightbulb.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:46 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That is correct the tech called it in and gave all info to them. The problem was I had no where to send it as we where heading south with no address to receive it. I was able to get work done later three months to be exact. He tried to fix with magnet thought circuit was stuck and would release it. Gave them his license info and my warranty info
benderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by benderdog View Post
That is correct the tech called it in and gave all info to them. The problem was I had no where to send it as we where heading south with no address to receive it.
FYI: While traveling you can have things sent c/o General Delivery at a 'small town' post office in the direction you're heading. This is done all the time by full-timers.

OP: I think you'd have better business in a regular RV park rather than a public park - especially in a snowbird area during the winter in the southern states. However, most often the park office keeps the contact list or else they have a bulletin board for your card. You'd have to start calling some parks to get their take on it. You could even stay in a public campground nearby and hopefully get calls from the area RV parks.

Many people use mobile mechanics.

I really doubt you could run your business from a public park. If you saw tow trucks or mechanics used in public parks the owners probably sought out the company on their own or through their insurance company and this would be for a serious issue. A public park is not going to let all kinds of services come into the park all the time unless it was for an emergency.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:47 PM   #10

Personally, I would be very low key.
No sign age at all. That can get complsex fast.

As you network in any campground.
The word will spread fast.
So let the business come to you .

Many park managers will welcome you.

In some parks you may have to lend a helpfull hand with a predetermined tip amount.

I think over time you will be quite busy.

Good luck and Happy camping .
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaitAndMarc View Post
If you saw us in your campground (we would have a large magnetic sign on our camper advertising his services) [...]
Don't do it. You will run afoul of the law very quickly.

A vehicle that is titled and taxed as "recreational" cannot (legally) be used to conduct business. If you do, it needs to be re-titled as commercial. That is an impossibility since no RV is manufactured to comply with USDOT safety standards. In fact, the entire RV industry has fought very hard to exempt themselves from those standards. So, RVs and business do not mix.

I know that there are a number of people who DO use their RVs as a business vehicle (just look at YouTube), but these people are operating outside the law, and they try not to draw attention to themselves with signage.
OregonJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
Don't do it. You will run afoul of the law very quickly.

A vehicle that is titled and taxed as "recreational" cannot (legally) be used to conduct business. If you do, it needs to be re-titled as commercial.
Thanks very much for bringing this up - much appreciated. My husband has also thrown around the idea of turning the pickup into a service truck, which we could insure commercially.

Thank you to everyone for your replies!
Old 12-12-2018, 07:36 PM   #13

Quartzsite, Arizona would be a place to check out.....I've done a few there...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaitAndMarc View Post
My husband has also thrown around the idea of turning the pickup into a service truck, which we could insure commercially.
Yes, that is a much better idea. Safe and happy travels!
OregonJim is offline   Reply With Quote